Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > OT

Blinky the Shark

FML wrote:

> YeeeeeHaaaaaa! Texas 41-38
> National Champions!!
> My alma mater Class of '80

Heckuva game, albeit I was pulling for USC (I live in L.A.). Y'all took
out my boys last year -- Michigan. Quite a team you have, there, Tex.
Enjoy the championship.

--
Blinky T. "Go Blue" Shark

FML

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> FML wrote:
>

>>YeeeeeHaaaaaa! Texas 41-38
>>National Champions!!
>>My alma mater Class of '80

> Heckuva game, albeit I was pulling for USC (I live in L.A.). Y'all took
> out my boys last year -- Michigan. Quite a team you have, there, Tex.
> Enjoy the championship.

I'll be honest. When USC went ahead 38-26 with 6:42 to go, I thought we
were toast. Even after we scored to narrow the gap to 38-33 I thought
we'd never get the ball back (hadn't been able to stop USC's incredible
offense the whole second half). I was flabbergasted when USC chose to go
for it on 4th and 2 and almost soiled myself when UT stopped them 6"
short. The final Texas drive was classic.

Regardless of the winner, that was one of the best college football
games I've ever seen. The BSC hit a grand slam this year.

Tomorrow I am out to purchase T-Shirts, hats and any National
Championship paraphanelia I can get my hands on, it has been a long 35
years since we've enjoyed one of these.

Blinky the Shark

FML wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> FML wrote:
>>

>>>YeeeeeHaaaaaa! Texas 41-38
>>>National Champions!!
>>>My alma mater Class of '80

>> Heckuva game, albeit I was pulling for USC (I live in L.A.). Y'all took
>> out my boys last year -- Michigan. Quite a team you have, there, Tex.
>> Enjoy the championship.
>>

> I'll be honest. When USC went ahead 38-26 with 6:42 to go, I thought we
> were toast. Even after we scored to narrow the gap to 38-33 I thought we'd

I thought you were, too.

> never get the ball back (hadn't been able to stop USC's incredible

I was afraid you would. I'm a pessimist.

> offense the whole second half). I was flabbergasted when USC chose to go

Nobody has in the second half all year (and then some). USC's typical
game is to fart around with merely respectable football for the first half
or three quarters before turning on the afterburner. When they're up
against a good team, that makes it pretty squeaky until they do light the
fuse.

> for it on 4th and 2 and almost soiled myself when UT stopped them 6"
> short. The final Texas drive was classic.

What the hell kinda call was that, with their star RB watching from the
sideline?

> Regardless of the winner, that was one of the best college football
> games I've ever seen. The BSC hit a grand slam this year.

It was a doozy.

> Tomorrow I am out to purchase T-Shirts, hats and any National
> Championship paraphanelia I can get my hands on, it has been a long 35
> years since we've enjoyed one of these.

I hear you. 1997 for us (Michigan) hardly compares. Enjoy!

Confession: I have a 'Horns sweatshirt that I picked up when I was down
there, once.

--
Blinky Reg Linux User 297263
Killfiling all posts from Google Groups

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
FML spewed forth:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> FML wrote:
>>

>>> YeeeeeHaaaaaa! Texas 41-38
>>> National Champions!!
>>> My alma mater Class of '80

>> Heckuva game, albeit I was pulling for USC (I live in L.A.). Y'all
>> took out my boys last year -- Michigan. Quite a team you have,
>> there, Tex. Enjoy the championship.
>>

> I'll be honest. When USC went ahead 38-26 with 6:42 to go, I thought
> we were toast. Even after we scored to narrow the gap to 38-33 I
> thought we'd never get the ball back (hadn't been able to stop USC's
> incredible offense the whole second half). I was flabbergasted when
> USC chose to go for it on 4th and 2 and almost soiled myself when UT
> stopped them 6" short. The final Texas drive was classic.
>
> Regardless of the winner, that was one of the best college football
> games I've ever seen. The BSC hit a grand slam this year.

Absolutely! It was a good year for many other college bowls as well. Tight
games, good competition, exciting finishes. Unfortunately, the teams I was
cheering for the most, lost (FSU and OSU). I really didn't have a specific
interest in either team in the championship game, but in a case like that, I
usually cheer for the "underdog"

FML

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> FML wrote:
>

>>Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>>Heckuva game, albeit I was pulling for USC (I live in L.A.). Y'all took
>>>out my boys last year -- Michigan. Quite a team you have, there, Tex.
>>>Enjoy the championship.
>>>

>>I'll be honest. When USC went ahead 38-26 with 6:42 to go, I thought we
>>were toast. Even after we scored to narrow the gap to 38-33 I thought we'd

> I thought you were, too.
>

>>never get the ball back (hadn't been able to stop USC's incredible

> I was afraid you would. I'm a pessimist.
>

>>offense the whole second half). I was flabbergasted when USC chose to go

> Nobody has in the second half all year (and then some). USC's typical
> game is to fart around with merely respectable football for the first half
> or three quarters before turning on the afterburner. When they're up
> against a good team, that makes it pretty squeaky until they do light the
> fuse.
>

>>for it on 4th and 2 and almost soiled myself when UT stopped them 6"
>>short. The final Texas drive was classic.

> What the hell kinda call was that, with their star RB watching from the
> sideline?

I couldn't believe it when they showed Bush on the sideline for that
play! I thought he might be hurt or something. In all my years of
watching college football, I have never seen a Heisman winner on the
sidelines for THE most important play of the season. Of course, I would
have punted and make UT go 80 yards instead of 45.

>>Regardless of the winner, that was one of the best college football
>>games I've ever seen. The BSC hit a grand slam this year.

> It was a doozy.
>

>>Tomorrow I am out to purchase T-Shirts, hats and any National
>>Championship paraphanelia I can get my hands on, it has been a long 35
>>years since we've enjoyed one of these.

> I hear you. 1997 for us (Michigan) hardly compares. Enjoy!
>
> Confession: I have a 'Horns sweatshirt that I picked up when I was down
> there, once.

A few years ago I was involved in an ERP implementation for the State of
Michigan and I bought UM sweats and hat. I like their colors and I'm a
big Tom Brady fan.

FML

Toolman Tim wrote:
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> FML spewed forth:
>
>>Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>>Heckuva game, albeit I was pulling for USC (I live in L.A.). Y'all
>>>took out my boys last year -- Michigan. Quite a team you have,
>>>there, Tex. Enjoy the championship.
>>>

>>I'll be honest. When USC went ahead 38-26 with 6:42 to go, I thought
>>we were toast. Even after we scored to narrow the gap to 38-33 I
>>thought we'd never get the ball back (hadn't been able to stop USC's
>>incredible offense the whole second half). I was flabbergasted when
>>USC chose to go for it on 4th and 2 and almost soiled myself when UT
>>stopped them 6" short. The final Texas drive was classic.
>>
>>Regardless of the winner, that was one of the best college football
>>games I've ever seen. The BSC hit a grand slam this year.
>>

> Absolutely! It was a good year for many other college bowls as well. Tight
> games, good competition, exciting finishes. Unfortunately, the teams I was
> cheering for the most, lost (FSU and OSU). I really didn't have a specific
> interest in either team in the championship game, but in a case like that, I
> usually cheer for the "underdog"

No doubt one of the best bowl seasons in a while. That Penn State v FSU
game was crazy!

Interesting fact about the "underdogs". Three out of the last four BCS
championship #1 v #2 games have been won by the #2 team.

Blinky the Shark

FML wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> FML wrote:

>>>I'll be honest. When USC went ahead 38-26 with 6:42 to go, I thought we
>>>were toast. Even after we scored to narrow the gap to 38-33 I thought
>>>we'd

>> I thought you were, too.
>>

>>>never get the ball back (hadn't been able to stop USC's incredible

>> I was afraid you would. I'm a pessimist.
>>

>>>offense the whole second half). I was flabbergasted when USC chose to go

>> Nobody has in the second half all year (and then some). USC's typical
>> game is to fart around with merely respectable football for the first
>> half or three quarters before turning on the afterburner. When they're
>> up against a good team, that makes it pretty squeaky until they do light
>> the fuse.
>>

>>>for it on 4th and 2 and almost soiled myself when UT stopped them 6"
>>>short. The final Texas drive was classic.

>> What the hell kinda call was that, with their star RB watching from the
>> sideline?
>>

> I couldn't believe it when they showed Bush on the sideline for that play!
> I thought he might be hurt or something. In all my years of watching
> college football, I have never seen a Heisman winner on the sidelines for
> THE most important play of the season. Of course, I would have punted and
> make UT go 80 yards instead of 45.

Ditto. I think this shows what Pete thought of the Longhorn offense, that
he was afraid to give them the ball even with 80 needed. Since a FG
wouldn't matter, I'd have taken that chance.

>>>Regardless of the winner, that was one of the best college football
>>>games I've ever seen. The BSC hit a grand slam this year.

>> It was a doozy.
>>
>>>Tomorrow I am out to purchase T-Shirts, hats and any National
>>>Championship paraphanelia I can get my hands on, it has been a long 35
>>>years since we've enjoyed one of these.

>> I hear you. 1997 for us (Michigan) hardly compares. Enjoy!
>>
>> Confession: I have a 'Horns sweatshirt that I picked up when I was down
>> there, once.
>>

> A few years ago I was involved in an ERP implementation for the State of
> Michigan and I bought UM sweats and hat. I like their colors and I'm a
> big Tom Brady fan.

The odd thing is that the QB before Brady took us to that 1997
National Championship but never got his groove on in the NFL. I'm
talking about Brian Greise...Griese...you know who I mean. (His
father Bob was quarterbacking Purdue when I was in college.)

--

Toolman Tim wrote:

> In news:(E-Mail Removed), FML spewed forth:
>> Regardless of the winner, that was one of the best college football
>> games I've ever seen. The BSC hit a grand slam this year.
>>

> Absolutely! It was a good year for many other college bowls as well. Tight
> games, good competition, exciting finishes. Unfortunately, the teams I was
> cheering for the most, lost (FSU and OSU). I really didn't have a specific
> interest in either team in the championship game, but in a case like that,
> I usually cheer for the "underdog"

Tell me about tanking. Michigan was #3 preseaon. We were out of the Top
25 about five weeks later. (In our second game - Notre Dame - our
phenom RB went out with a leg injury on his fourth carry, and didn't come
back for three or four games.) We still managed a minor (Alamo) bowl
game, and we got beat by Nebraska. But how often to you see a Top 4 team
end up unranked?

--

FML wrote:

> Toolman Tim wrote:

>>>I'll be honest. When USC went ahead 38-26 with 6:42 to go, I thought we
>>>were toast. Even after we scored to narrow the gap to 38-33 I thought
>>>we'd never get the ball back (hadn't been able to stop USC's incredible
>>>offense the whole second half). I was flabbergasted when USC chose to go
>>>for it on 4th and 2 and almost soiled myself when UT stopped them 6"
>>>short. The final Texas drive was classic.
>>>
>>>Regardless of the winner, that was one of the best college football
>>>games I've ever seen. The BSC hit a grand slam this year.
>>>

>> Absolutely! It was a good year for many other college bowls as well.
>> Tight games, good competition, exciting finishes. Unfortunately, the
>> teams I was cheering for the most, lost (FSU and OSU). I really didn't
>> have a specific interest in either team in the championship game, but in
>> a case like that, I usually cheer for the "underdog"
>>

> No doubt one of the best bowl seasons in a while. That Penn State v FSU
> game was crazy!
>
> Interesting fact about the "underdogs". Three out of the last four BCS
> championship #1 v #2 games have been won by the #2 team.

Wasn't one of them that horrible year where there was that whole BCS mess
between LSU, USC, Oklahoma and Michigan in the top four, with the AP and
BSC final regular season #1 rankings split?

--

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> FML wrote:
>

>>Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>>I thought you were, too.

>>>I was afraid you would. I'm a pessimist.

>>>Nobody has in the second half all year (and then some). USC's typical
>>>game is to fart around with merely respectable football for the first
>>>half or three quarters before turning on the afterburner. When they're
>>>up against a good team, that makes it pretty squeaky until they do light
>>>the fuse.

>>>What the hell kinda call was that, with their star RB watching from the
>>>sideline?
>>>

>>I couldn't believe it when they showed Bush on the sideline for that play!
>>I thought he might be hurt or something. In all my years of watching
>>college football, I have never seen a Heisman winner on the sidelines for
>>THE most important play of the season. Of course, I would have punted and
>>make UT go 80 yards instead of 45.

> Ditto. I think this shows what Pete thought of the Longhorn offense, that
> he was afraid to give them the ball even with 80 needed. Since a FG
> wouldn't matter, I'd have taken that chance.

>>>It was a doozy.

>>>I hear you. 1997 for us (Michigan) hardly compares. Enjoy!
>>>
>>>Confession: I have a 'Horns sweatshirt that I picked up when I was down
>>>there, once.
>>>

>>A few years ago I was involved in an ERP implementation for the State of
>>Michigan and I bought UM sweats and hat. I like their colors and I'm a
>>big Tom Brady fan.

> The odd thing is that the QB before Brady took us to that 1997
> National Championship but never got his groove on in the NFL. I'm
> talking about Brian Greise...Griese...you know who I mean. (His
> father Bob was quarterbacking Purdue when I was in college.)

It has always amazed me how "great" college players just can't seem to
elevate their games to the next level, especially at the QB position.
Who will ever forget the 1998 draft: Ryan Leaf - Peyton Manning, who do
ya pick? The Colts chose Manning and the rest is history (2 MVPs,
probably will play in this year's Super Bowl). San Diego takes Leaf who
turned out to be arguably the biggest bust in NFL draft history. Other
names come to mind: Tim Couch, Andre Ware to name a couple.