Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > network trouble

network trouble

Joe

Hi. I have Win XP SP2. I have a Linksys wireless router and a desktop
and laptop which are acting up. The Desktop is connected with Ethernet
from the router, and the laptop is wireless. Both computers are in the
same workgroup. when I go to my network places and click on 'view
workgroup computers', both computers show up. But when I double click on
the other computer, it tells me that it is not found or I may not have
permission to use this network resource. Same thing happens if I type
\\HOM1\ from the desktop (HOM1 is the computer name of the laptop) or
\\HOS1\ from the labtop (HOS1 is the name of the desktop).

I need to share folders and a printer but it wont let me. For example,
if i type in the address bar \\HOS1\SharedDocs to access a shared
folder, the same message I described above comes up. On HOS1, I gave
Full control permissions to everyone in the security tab and sharing tab
when I right clicked the folder.

Any help please? Thanks in advance.
--
Note: This message is also posted in the winxp.general newsgroup

Toolman Tim

In news:jJUuf.27148$(E-Mail Removed),
Joe spewed forth:
> Hi. I have Win XP SP2. I have a Linksys wireless router and a desktop
> and laptop which are acting up. The Desktop is connected with Ethernet
> from the router, and the laptop is wireless. Both computers are in the
> same workgroup. when I go to my network places and click on 'view
> workgroup computers', both computers show up. But when I double click
> on the other computer, it tells me that it is not found or I may not
> have permission to use this network resource. Same thing happens if I
> type \\HOM1\ from the desktop (HOM1 is the computer name of the
> laptop) or \\HOS1\ from the labtop (HOS1 is the name of the desktop).
>
> I need to share folders and a printer but it wont let me. For example,
> if i type in the address bar \\HOS1\SharedDocs to access a shared
> folder, the same message I described above comes up. On HOS1, I gave
> Full control permissions to everyone in the security tab and sharing
> tab when I right clicked the folder.
>
> Any help please? Thanks in advance.

Did you run the home networking setup wizard on both computers?

PC

news:jJUuf.27148$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi. I have Win XP SP2. I have a Linksys wireless router and a desktop and
> laptop which are acting up. The Desktop is connected with Ethernet from
> the router, and the laptop is wireless. Both computers are in the same
> workgroup. when I go to my network places and click on 'view workgroup
> computers', both computers show up. But when I double click on the other
> computer, it tells me that it is not found or I may not have permission to
> use this network resource. Same thing happens if I type \\HOM1\ from the
> desktop (HOM1 is the computer name of the laptop) or \\HOS1\ from the
> labtop (HOS1 is the name of the desktop).
>
> I need to share folders and a printer but it wont let me. For example, if
> i type in the address bar \\HOS1\SharedDocs to access a shared folder, the
> same message I described above comes up. On HOS1, I gave Full control
> permissions to everyone in the security tab and sharing tab when I right
> clicked the folder.
>
> Any help please? Thanks in advance.
> --
> Note: This message is also posted in the winxp.general newsgroup

Check your Firewall settings.

Websites that may help you:
http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/hmnetwk1.html
http://www.networkmagic.com/

Cheers
Paul.

Joe

Toolman Tim wrote:
> In news:jJUuf.27148$(E-Mail Removed),
> Joe spewed forth:
>> Hi. I have Win XP SP2. I have a Linksys wireless router and a desktop
>> and laptop which are acting up. The Desktop is connected with Ethernet
>> from the router, and the laptop is wireless. Both computers are in the
>> same workgroup. when I go to my network places and click on 'view
>> workgroup computers', both computers show up. But when I double click
>> on the other computer, it tells me that it is not found or I may not
>> have permission to use this network resource. Same thing happens if I
>> type \\HOM1\ from the desktop (HOM1 is the computer name of the
>> laptop) or \\HOS1\ from the labtop (HOS1 is the name of the desktop).
>>
>> I need to share folders and a printer but it wont let me. For example,
>> if i type in the address bar \\HOS1\SharedDocs to access a shared
>> folder, the same message I described above comes up. On HOS1, I gave
>> Full control permissions to everyone in the security tab and sharing
>> tab when I right clicked the folder.
>>
>> Any help please? Thanks in advance.

> Did you run the home networking setup wizard on both computers?

Yes I did

--
I beg your pardon? Do you dare cost me in this manner? Am I the object
of this brave novacure? Then kindly reply to my post if you may feel

Plato

Joe wrote:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/homenetworking/
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/winxpnetworking/