Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Internet goes on and off at the PCs of my work place.

Internet goes on and off at the PCs of my work place.

Starriol

The network there works with a domain server.

They use a combinations of hubs and routers to connect with each other,
some of them with windows 2000, some with XP, the server is 2000.

The problem is that a couple of days ago Internet service started to go
off on all the PCs of the network, then it would go back on.
This continued for a couple of days, until I contacted the ISP, blaming
them from the problem.
They said there are OK, so the problem is ours.
What could it be? I know very little of networking, any help greatly
appreciated.

John Holmes

Starriol wrote:
> The network there works with a domain server.
>
> They use a combinations of hubs and routers to connect with each
> other, some of them with windows 2000, some with XP, the server is
> 2000.
>
> The problem is that a couple of days ago Internet service started to
> go off on all the PCs of the network, then it would go back on.
> This continued for a couple of days, until I contacted the ISP,
> blaming them from the problem.
> They said there are OK, so the problem is ours.
> What could it be? I know very little of networking, any help greatly
> appreciated.

Ask your system administrator. Now you won't come back telling us /you/ are
the system administrator, now do you?
--
Your mother was a crude lamer who was exhibited in a freak-show in a morgue.

Mitch

In article <dpg9iq.2eg.1@133.256.1.103.MISMATCH>, John Holmes
<nospam@****ithard.com> wrote:

> Ask your system administrator. Now you won't come back telling us /you/ are
> the system administrator, now do you?

I'm giving 7 to 4 odds he'll claim to be the administrator.

Takers?

why?

On 3 Jan 2006 15:21:54 -0800, Starriol wrote:

>The network there works with a domain server.

Normally I would say contact the network administrator first (but as one
myself, it's best to speak to other admins first) you mention a domain
and the OS, you think is important.
You forgot to mention anything about how the ISP connection is connected
/ via what equipment to where.

Besides you don't need a domain server for a network to work.

>They use a combinations of hubs and routers to connect with each other,

You should only really need 2 routers, as a primary and backup for the
ISP connection.

<snip>

>The problem is that a couple of days ago Internet service started to go
>off on all the PCs of the network, then it would go back on.

You proved this by what tests.

When not working the test results are different from when it's working.

Sounds simple, a little bit of testing and monitoring will soon show
something.

>This continued for a couple of days, until I contacted the ISP, blaming
>them from the problem.

Why?

>They said there are OK, so the problem is ours.
>What could it be? I know very little of networking, any help greatly
>appreciated.

Some info or a little common sense first helps with issues like these.

Check the devices between a PC / your ISP connection.

Valid IP settings.

Error logs where possible, on devices between a PC to your ISP box.

Put a PC as close as possible to the incoming connection, not on any hub
etc but on the ISPs modem/router.

Do traceroutes via names and IP addresses when working and when not.
Depending on the differences, that would give you a clue.

There is no loss of connection to internal devices, other PCs, routers,
servers.

With a domain , no login issues reported.

Internet access is based on domin login rights.

You give nothing to go on, so think about the suggestions above and then
go and hire someone to check your setup and do some monitoring.

Me

why?

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 02:36:15 GMT, Mitch wrote:

>In article <dpg9iq.2eg.1@133.256.1.103.MISMATCH>, John Holmes
><nospam@****ithard.com> wrote:
>
>> Ask your system administrator. Now you won't come back telling us /you/ are
>> the system administrator, now do you?

>I'm giving 7 to 4 odds he'll claim to be the administrator.
>
>Takers?

Not at those odds, the OP has to be the admin, most likely a MCSE.

Me

Donald

Thats what all ISP's say lol
"Starriol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> The network there works with a domain server.
>
> They use a combinations of hubs and routers to connect with each other,
> some of them with windows 2000, some with XP, the server is 2000.
>
> The problem is that a couple of days ago Internet service started to go
> off on all the PCs of the network, then it would go back on.
> This continued for a couple of days, until I contacted the ISP, blaming
> them from the problem.
> They said there are OK, so the problem is ours.
> What could it be? I know very little of networking, any help greatly
> appreciated.

John Holmes

why? blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 02:36:15 GMT, Mitch wrote:
>
>>In article <dpg9iq.2eg.1@133.256.1.103.MISMATCH>, John Holmes
>><nospam@****ithard.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Ask your system administrator. Now you won't come back telling us
>>> /you/ are the system administrator, now do you?

>>I'm giving 7 to 4 odds he'll claim to be the administrator.
>>
>>Takers?

> Not at those odds, the OP has to be the admin, most likely a MCSE.
>
> Me

That would be a Minesweeper Consultant Solitaire Expert, right?

--
Your mother was a zealous circus performer who used to do funny dances in
a small tent.

why?

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 01:44:47 +0100 (CET), John Holmes wrote:

>why? blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>

>> On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 02:36:15 GMT, Mitch wrote:

>>>I'm giving 7 to 4 odds he'll claim to be the administrator.
>>>
>>>Takers?

>> Not at those odds, the OP has to be the admin, most likely a MCSE.
>>
>> Me

>That would be a Minesweeper Consultant Solitaire Expert, right?

Hadn't seen that before, LOL. Thanks.

Me