Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Peoplepc Scumbags

Peoplepc Scumbags

atarian999@yahoo.com

I recently made the mistake of installing the PeoplePC software on my
system. I was just trying to make a determination if they were right
for my as my new ISP. ***BIG MISTAKE***! These "people" load you up
with toolbars, a homepage hijacker, and who knows what else. This is
done without ever subscribing to their service, with *NO* agreement,
and without your knowledge!

After uninstalling everything that even hints that it is PeoplePC's
malware, I still have their homepage hijacker. I've used Hijack This!
to remove their BHO, but like Dracula, it keeps rising from it's grave.
I've installed anti-hijacking programs, but no matter what, once it
refuses PeoplePC's hijack, it pops right back. (Blah... blah! I vant
to suck your browser...)

I'm at wit's end, I haven't been able to find any help in this
particular problem on the web or on the usenet.

Please, anybody, help!

P.S. AVOID PEOPLEPC AT ALL COSTS!

Mike Easter

> I recently made the mistake of installing the PeoplePC software on my
> system. I was just trying to make a determination if they were right
> for my as my new ISP. ***BIG MISTAKE***! These "people" load you up
> with toolbars, a homepage hijacker, and who knows what else. This is
> done without ever subscribing to their service, with *NO* agreement,
> and without your knowledge!

You can use peoplepc without their front end once you have your user/pw.
Use the encoded user/pw with a normal win dialup.

> After uninstalling everything that even hints that it is PeoplePC's
> malware, I still have their homepage hijacker. I've used Hijack This!
> to remove their BHO, but like Dracula, it keeps rising from it's
> grave. I've installed anti-hijacking programs, but no matter what,
> once it refuses PeoplePC's hijack, it pops right back. (Blah...
> blah! I vant to suck your browser...)

http://www.spyware-removal.com/uninstall-peoplepc.html uninstall
peoplepc -- people pc dialer and toolbar uninstalling and removal guide

> I'm at wit's end, I haven't been able to find any help in this
> particular problem on the web or on the usenet.

The link has instructions for using the spyware sweeper removal tool or
for doing it manually* with a registry edit.

> P.S. AVOID PEOPLEPC AT ALL COSTS!

* Uninstall Peoplepc step 1: The PeoplePC toolbar is implemented as a
BHO so first close all running instances of Internet Explorer.
Uninstall Peoplepc step 2:Open the registry key
Key_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/
CurrentVersion/Explorer/Browser Helper Objects
Uninstall Peoplepc step 3elete the key
'{3DE88907-3E38-11D4-BEB2-CBE76C0598DD}'
Uninstall Peoplepc step 4: Restart the computer.

--
Mike Easter

Mellowed

Hummm. That's interesting. I've had Peoplepc for years without any of
your description. However, I have disable BARTSTATION in MSCONFIG and I
do not use their dialer. I use the DUN in Windows. Once you have your
ID and password, you don't need any of their software on your computer.

Try going into MSCONFIG and unchecking BARTSTATION in Startup. Make
sure you disable their toolbar in IE. If the above doesn't work, I
don't have a clue what's going on.

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
:

Mike Easter wrote:

> http://www.spyware-removal.com/uninstall-peoplepc.html uninstall
> peoplepc -- people pc dialer and toolbar uninstalling and removal
> guide

> The link has instructions for using the spyware sweeper removal tool
> or for doing it manually* with a registry edit.

Be advised to be careful of rogue spyware removal tools or those
associated with aggressive marketing.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm The Spyware
Warrior List of Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites by Eric
L. Howes -- Trustworthy Anti-Spyware Products -- Listing Criteria --
Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Sites

There is information about spyware-removal.com at Eric's page.

--
Mike Easter

DC

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I recently made the mistake of installing the PeoplePC software on my
> system. I was just trying to make a determination if they were right
> for my as my new ISP. ***BIG MISTAKE***! These "people" load you up
> with toolbars, a homepage hijacker, and who knows what else. This is
> done without ever subscribing to their service, with *NO* agreement,
> and without your knowledge!

> After uninstalling everything that even hints that it is PeoplePC's
> malware, I still have their homepage hijacker. I've used Hijack This!
> to remove their BHO, but like Dracula, it keeps rising from it's grave.
> I've installed anti-hijacking programs, but no matter what, once it
> refuses PeoplePC's hijack, it pops right back. (Blah... blah! I vant
> to suck your browser...)

> I'm at wit's end, I haven't been able to find any help in this
> particular problem on the web or on the usenet.

> Please, anybody, help!

> P.S. AVOID PEOPLEPC AT ALL COSTS!

Did you even *read* the privacy policy on their web site before you
signed up? You certainly didn't deserve what you got, but you certainly
got what you deserved, so to speak.

http://www.peoplepc.com/online/legal...cid=1&pageid=1

Personally, I would have stopped reading after the *second* paragraph
and moved on.

I did read the whole thing, since you posted about it, and I am
astonished that people actually prostitute themselves by giving their
money to these outfits.

Sucks to be you, bud.

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many'
and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Mike Easter

DC wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>> These "people" load you up
>> with toolbars, a homepage hijacker, and who knows what else. This is
>> done without ever subscribing to their service, with *NO* agreement,
>> and without your knowledge!

> Did you even *read* the privacy policy on their web site before you
> signed up? You certainly didn't deserve what you got, but you
> certainly got what you deserved, so to speak.
>
> http://www.peoplepc.com/online/legal...cid=1&pageid=1
>
> Personally, I would have stopped reading after the *second* paragraph
> and moved on.
>
> I did read the whole thing, since you posted about it, and I am
> astonished that people actually prostitute themselves by giving their
> money to these outfits.

I think that people get hooked up with peoplepc to get cheaper
accelerated dialup connectivity - free x 30d. then $5.47/mo x 3 mo then
$11/mo x 12 mo and no CC required for service.

It has some barebones features in addition to the privacy problems,
since you have to pay for tech support other setup and billing.

Their other promotional gig is to offer an affiliate program for
promoting peoplepc Somehow the affiliate gets paid a 'bounty' for the
referrals who signup.

--
Mike Easter

elaich

"Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:43bab926$0$6286$892e7fe2
@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

> You can use peoplepc without their front end once you have your user/pw.
> Use the encoded user/pw with a normal win dialup.

Not any more, you can't. That's why I switched from PPC to Netscape.
Suddenly, trying to directly connect to my local number led me to the PPC
signup page.

Mellowed

If that is the case, why can I connect using only DUN. The people pc
dialer is totally out of the loop. There must be some other variable
that was missing in the DUN setup. Also, I'm not using the 'encoded'
password either. Just a straight logical connection. Nothing else. I
would also change ISP's if I couldn't connect direct.

Maybe we can figure out what's different?

"elaich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
: @authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:
:
: > You can use peoplepc without their front end once you have your
user/pw.
: > Use the encoded user/pw with a normal win dialup.
:
: Not any more, you can't. That's why I switched from PPC to Netscape.
: Suddenly, trying to directly connect to my local number led me to the
PPC
: signup page.

atarian999@yahoo.com

Alrighty then...
I solved my problem myself as the following e-mail to the tech support
people @ PeoplePC. Also, thanks to them for 'trying' to help and my
apologies for any negative inference I made about their company.

my e-mail response below

Okay, I believe I solved my problem (as outlined
below). I ran MSCONFIG, clicked the startup tab, and
found an extraneous Juno .exe file. I clicked it off,
and voila! No more hijacking.

So the fault does not lie on you or Juno (somewhat) or
malware, but the combination of leftover undeleted
files in my system must have interacted with each
other to cause the problem.
This is why I couldn't find anything on the Web about
this.

Thank You
John Collins

--- John Collins <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> First let me say right off, I've been using the
> Internet since 1993 and consider myself an
> intermediate user, but not an expert, otherwise I'd
> have your job.
>
> As for changing your homepage using 'Properties', I
> know how to do that and have done that, over and
> over
> again. And it keeps reverting back to...
>
> ----- http://home.peoplepc.com/websearch/ -----
>
> No matter what I do, it changes back it. That's why
> called it a hijacking. It is forever stuck on it.
> There is something else going on here beyond what I
> can see.
>
> I uninstalled your software, removed all references
> PeoplePC in my registry, re-installed PeoplePC,
> uninstalled it again, remove all registry items
> again.
> Ran *Four* different spyware programs /Spybot
> S&D/1-Click Spy Clean/Yahoo's Anti-Spy/Lavasoft's
> AdAware-se and used Webroot's online spy cleaner
> (which, by the way, are all free of malware of their
> own) and all their results are negative. My
> anti-virus (Anti-Vir) shows no viruses, trojans,
> etc.
> In other words, I have a clean machine... except for
> the hijacking. The program 'Hijack This' shows this
> entry...
> R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\Main,Start Page =
> http://home.peoplepc.com/websearch
>
> I removed this entry using 'Hijack This', clicked on
> Internet Explorer and changed my start page to
> 'www.google.com', close IE, reopened IE and *BANG*!
> The PeoplePC start page re-appears. I load up
> 'Hijack
> This' and the aformention registry entry is back
> again.
>
> This entry is the key and there is some kind of
> process that is keeping this item alive. I need to
> know what this executable is, (i.e. program or
> javascript or ????) and what wooden stake I need to
> kill it.
>
> John Collins
> aka Atarian999
>
> --- (E-Mail Removed) wrote
>
> > Dear PeoplePC Online Member,
> >
> > Thank you for writing to PeoplePC Online.
> >
> > Regarding your concern, please follow the steps
> > given below to change the home page:
> >
> > 1. Right click on the Internet Explorer icon
> > 2. Select Properties
> > 3. On the General tab, you will see HOME PAGE
> > 4. Delete whatever is there and type the address

> of
> > your desired Home Page e.g. home.peoplepc.com
> > 5. Click on Apply and then click on OK
> >
> > Also, mail us what you did and where the procedure
> > went wrong.
> >
> > Thanks again for writing.
> >
> > All the best,
> > Shivank
> > One of the people at PeoplePC Online
> > (E-Mail Removed)

Mellowed

Thanks for the update.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
: Alrighty then...
: I solved my problem myself as the following e-mail to the tech support
: people @ PeoplePC. Also, thanks to them for 'trying' to help and my
: apologies for any negative inference I made about their company.
:
: ------------------------------------------------
: my e-mail response below
: ------------------------------------------------
:
[...]
: >
: > As for changing your homepage using 'Properties', I
: > know how to do that and have done that, over and
: > over
: > again. And it keeps reverting back to...
: >
: > ----- http://home.peoplepc.com/websearch/ -----
: >
: > No matter what I do, it changes back it. That's why
: > I
[...]
: > >
[...]
: > > >