Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dual Monitors

Dual Monitors

Stuart

I am intending setting up my computer to use dual monitors, and I am hoping
to get some advise from this group.

My machine is a relatively new PC, 3ghz 512ram 160hd. using XP home
The current Graphics card seems to be part of the mother board ie not a
traditional card plugged into a pci slot! (the display adaptor is a ATI
Radeon xpress 200)

I have spare pci slots + another long black port thingy (see following
image)
http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/ports.jpg

The second monitor will only be used to display a VBA editor (i do a lot of
programming in excel) Therefor I do not need a fancy card for the second
monitor (anything more advanced than black and white will do)

I do know that there are purpose made Dual head graphics cards, If I got one
of those would I just plug it into a slot and run the driver.... is it quite
that simple? What would happen to the current graphics card, if it is part
of the motherboard I couldn't remove it!

Would any basic graphics card do, ie would it run quite happily alongside
the current graphics card, or could their be confict issues?

stuart

Richard Watson

"Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dpcenr$ns9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am intending setting up my computer to use dual monitors, and I am hoping
>to get some advise from this group.
>
> My machine is a relatively new PC, 3ghz 512ram 160hd. using XP home
> The current Graphics card seems to be part of the mother board ie not a
> traditional card plugged into a pci slot! (the display adaptor is a ATI
> Radeon xpress 200)
>
> I have spare pci slots + another long black port thingy (see following
> image)
> http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/ports.jpg
>
> The second monitor will only be used to display a VBA editor (i do a lot
> of programming in excel) Therefor I do not need a fancy card for the
> second monitor (anything more advanced than black and white will do)
>

> I do know that there are purpose made Dual head graphics cards, If I got
> one of those would I just plug it into a slot and run the driver.... is it
> quite that simple? What would happen to the current graphics card, if it
> is part of the motherboard I couldn't remove it!
>
> Would any basic graphics card do, ie would it run quite happily alongside
> the current graphics card, or could their be confict issues?
>

> stuart

Mitch

In article <dpcenr$ns9$(E-Mail Removed)>, Stuart <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I have spare pci slots + another long black port thingy (see following
> image)
> http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/ports.jpg
>
> The second monitor will only be used to display a VBA editor (i do a lot of
> programming in excel) Therefor I do not need a fancy card for the second
> monitor (anything more advanced than black and white will do)
>

> I do know that there are purpose made Dual head graphics cards, If I got one
> of those would I just plug it into a slot and run the driver.... is it quite
> that simple? What would happen to the current graphics card, if it is part
> of the motherboard I couldn't remove it!
>
> Would any basic graphics card do, ie would it run quite happily alongside
> the current graphics card, or could their be confict issues?

I don't think you need anythiing in particular.
Looks like the black slot is probably AGP; one of the types of video
cards. The others are PCI. You can choose either one, since you don't
have any particular high-end needs.
You should be able to find some great deals; video cards go on sale in
many larger stores every day.
You certainly don't need a dual-head card, but there is no reason to
avoid that, either.

Wait for replies about potential conflicting drivers; I don't know how
likely that is.

Scraggy

Stuart wrote:
> I am intending setting up my computer to use dual monitors, and I am
> hoping to get some advise from this group.
>
> My machine is a relatively new PC, 3ghz 512ram 160hd. using XP home
> The current Graphics card seems to be part of the mother board ie not
> a traditional card plugged into a pci slot! (the display adaptor is a
> ATI Radeon xpress 200)
>
> I have spare pci slots + another long black port thingy (see following
> image)
> http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/ports.jpg
>
> The second monitor will only be used to display a VBA editor (i do a
> lot of programming in excel) Therefor I do not need a fancy card for
> the second monitor (anything more advanced than black and white will
> do)
>
> I do know that there are purpose made Dual head graphics cards, If I
> got one of those would I just plug it into a slot and run the
> driver.... is it quite that simple? What would happen to the current
> graphics card, if it is part of the motherboard I couldn't remove it!
>
> Would any basic graphics card do, ie would it run quite happily
> alongside the current graphics card, or could their be confict issues?
>

> stuart

My advice would be to get dual-out card. While there is nothing wrong with
going the two card route IME it is both easier and more convenient to use
something designed to do the job.

members. Groucho Marx