Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > smartdisk firelite failure

Reply
Thread Tools

smartdisk firelite failure

 
 
steven
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2006
Urgent help needed. I brought 1 40GB hardrive from Dixons last week and
styored 2000 jpegs on it. Now I can't acces the drive at all. I can hear the
normal whirring noise coming out of it but the blue light on the casing does
not go on and the pc with win xp does not find it. Plugging the drive into
my pc using win 98 no longer works either. A second identical drive works
ok with both computers. I am very worried...


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
PC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2006
"steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dp9nvq$rda$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Urgent help needed. I brought 1 40GB hardrive from Dixons last week and
> styored 2000 jpegs on it. Now I can't acces the drive at all. I can hear
> the normal whirring noise coming out of it but the blue light on the
> casing does not go on and the pc with win xp does not find it. Plugging
> the drive into my pc using win 98 no longer works either. A second
> identical drive works ok with both computers. I am very worried...
>



"I can't acces the drive at all" & "the blue light on the casing does not
go on"

Kinda tells me it's knackered, hope you kept the receipt and had alternate
backup's

Best luck
Paul.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
The Shed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2006

"steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dp9nvq$rda$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Urgent help needed. I brought 1 40GB hardrive from Dixons last week
> and styored 2000 jpegs on it. Now I can't acces the drive at all. I
> can hear the normal whirring noise coming out of it but the blue light
> on the casing does not go on and the pc with win xp does not find it.
> Plugging the drive into my pc using win 98 no longer works either. A
> second identical drive works ok with both computers. I am very
> worried...
>


All a bit retrospective i know.
First why did you but the 40gb? the 150was only 68.99
Was the drive formatted, and or seen by your OS?
have you got the jumpers set as slave?
Not even going to ask you about being seen in bios

God i hate christmas and new toys


 
Reply With Quote
 
Walter Mautner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2006
steven wrote:

> Urgent help needed. I brought 1 40GB hardrive from Dixons last week and
> styored 2000 jpegs on it. Now I can't acces the drive at all. I can hear
> the normal whirring noise coming out of it but the blue light on the
> casing does
> not go on and the pc with win xp does not find it. Plugging the drive
> into
> my pc using win 98 no longer works either. A second identical drive
> works
> ok with both computers. I am very worried...


The whirring noise might be a little fan, and the power supply for the
blue light and the interface circuitry is missing. Have you exchanged the
power supplies for both drives?
--
vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse detected penguin patterns
on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
Linux 2.6.12-mm2 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
 
Reply With Quote
 
steven
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2006
Brought 40GB becasue I figured that if I had anything bigger I would get
lazy and put loads of date on it without making bakups. Turned out I did
the right thing, I DID have bakups and I spent the last hour checking to see
if any of my 2300 jpegs have been lost. They have not
Of on a 10 day holiday tomnorrow and will try to sort out problem when I
return. I had paid 99 for the hard drive and lost the receipt, so I have to
try and get it to work. Anybody with any ideas on where to start is very
welcome. I'm quite ignorant about computer matters and can see the likely
outcome of this saga being my chucking the drive out of the window...


"The Shed" <woodybitsfourbytwo.com> wrote in message
news:TVZtf.29216$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dp9nvq$rda$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>> Urgent help needed. I brought 1 40GB hardrive from Dixons last week and
>> styored 2000 jpegs on it. Now I can't acces the drive at all. I can hear
>> the normal whirring noise coming out of it but the blue light on the
>> casing does not go on and the pc with win xp does not find it. Plugging
>> the drive into my pc using win 98 no longer works either. A second
>> identical drive works ok with both computers. I am very worried...
>>

>
> All a bit retrospective i know.
> First why did you but the 40gb? the 150was only 68.99
> Was the drive formatted, and or seen by your OS?
> have you got the jumpers set as slave?
> Not even going to ask you about being seen in bios
>
> God i hate christmas and new toys
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
The Shed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2006

"steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dp9tnf$c4v$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Brought 40GB becasue I figured that if I had anything bigger I would
> get lazy and put loads of date on it without making bakups. Turned
> out I did the right thing, I DID have bakups and I spent the last hour
> checking to see if any of my 2300 jpegs have been lost. They have not
>
> Of on a 10 day holiday tomnorrow and will try to sort out problem when
> I return. I had paid 99 for the hard drive and lost the receipt, so I
> have to try and get it to work. Anybody with any ideas on where to
> start is very welcome. I'm quite ignorant about computer matters and
> can see the likely outcome of this saga being my chucking the drive
> out of the window...
>
>
> "The Shed" <woodybitsfourbytwo.com> wrote in message
> news:TVZtf.29216$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:dp9nvq$rda$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>>> Urgent help needed. I brought 1 40GB hardrive from Dixons last week
>>> and styored 2000 jpegs on it. Now I can't acces the drive at all. I
>>> can hear the normal whirring noise coming out of it but the blue
>>> light on the casing does not go on and the pc with win xp does not
>>> find it. Plugging the drive into my pc using win 98 no longer works
>>> either. A second identical drive works ok with both computers. I
>>> am very worried...
>>>

>>
>> All a bit retrospective i know.
>> First why did you but the 40gb? the 150was only 68.99
>> Was the drive formatted, and or seen by your OS?
>> have you got the jumpers set as slave?
>> Not even going to ask you about being seen in bios
>>
>> God i hate christmas and new toys
>>

>
>


99 for the 40??????

Jeez i know dixons are bad



 
Reply With Quote
 
The Shed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2006

"steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dp9nvq$rda$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Urgent help needed. I brought 1 40GB hardrive from Dixons last week
> and styored 2000 jpegs on it. Now I can't acces the drive at all. I
> can hear the normal whirring noise coming out of it but the blue light
> on the casing does not go on and the pc with win xp does not find it.
> Plugging the drive into my pc using win 98 no longer works either. A
> second identical drive works ok with both computers. I am very
> worried...
>


Having read your reply-----take the box to your local shop and get them
to install it for you----you will screw your machine up if you keep on
playing with it.
Still can not get head around buying a 40gb tho


 
Reply With Quote
 
PC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2006
"steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dp9nvq$rda$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Urgent help needed. I brought 1 40GB hardrive from Dixons last week and
> styored 2000 jpegs on it. Now I can't acces the drive at all. I can hear
> the normal whirring noise coming out of it but the blue light on the
> casing does not go on and the pc with win xp does not find it. Plugging
> the drive into my pc using win 98 no longer works either. A second
> identical drive works ok with both computers. I am very worried...
>



Steven

Is this a USB 'external' drive?

Paul.


 
Reply With Quote
 
steven
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2006

Spent 3hours hours last time sorting out the bakups then went to bed. This
moning I test the "Smartdrive" (which is an external drive) again and it
works ok, straight away! Don't know what to think....
To summarise the problem: I have two of these 40GB drives, they both have
worked well for the last couple of weeks on a laptop (win xp) and a PC (WIN
9. There are about 9GB's worth of jpegs on each of them. Last night one
of them did not work, a little motor in it sounded like it was working but
the usual blue light on the drive was lacking, the computer could'nt detect
a usb device and so I could not access the drive. I tried both Smartdrives
on both
computers, using bothe the usb connectors, I switched off computers and
drives then tried everything again...no success. I left the dodgy drive
plugged in with the motor whirling for 30mins in case it just needed time...
no success. Then this morning it powers up and work ok immediately, as if
it sorted itself out overnight, is that possible, does it have some internal
battery to use for sorting out its data whilst dreaming?

One only thing worth mentioning is that I had done a virus scan on the
Smartdrive just before it had started to malfunction. Anyway thanks to
all the various comments from all concerned.

"PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xq%tf.11777$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dp9nvq$rda$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>> Urgent help needed. I brought 1 40GB hardrive from Dixons last week and
>> styored 2000 jpegs on it. Now I can't acces the drive at all. I can hear
>> the normal whirring noise coming out of it but the blue light on the
>> casing does not go on and the pc with win xp does not find it. Plugging
>> the drive into my pc using win 98 no longer works either. A second
>> identical drive works ok with both computers. I am very worried...
>>

>
>
> Steven
>
> Is this a USB 'external' drive?
>
> Paul.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Firelite USB HD not detected Mother Farquhar Computer Support 1 07-05-2006 07:42 AM
Smartdisk Predicts Hard Drive Failure Steve Computer Support 3 07-03-2004 03:31 AM
Opinions of Smartdisk Flashtrax storage device? Steven Wandy Digital Photography 1 07-02-2004 10:42 PM
CF to Smartdisk? Jim Waggener Digital Photography 2 05-31-2004 07:47 AM
Will a true USB 2 port run my Firelite johnpower@verobeachlaw.com Computer Information 2 03-05-2004 01:42 AM



Advertisments