Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > I Tunes Question

I Tunes Question

carol

My son has had an I Pod for Chrimbo.

He has a problem with it by where once I Tunes are loaded on the laptop D
drive ceases to work.

If you do a previous reinstall the D drive worked put the setting back to
say today and D drive again ceases to work so he has a problem with I Tunes
and Apple.

He also tells me or he understands that if he puts his I Pod in another
laptop or P.C then all the music files will be wiped, is that correct.

The Shed

"carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BMWtf.15009$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My son has had an I Pod for Chrimbo.
>
> He has a problem with it by where once I Tunes are loaded on the
> laptop D
> drive ceases to work.
>
> If you do a previous reinstall the D drive worked put the setting back
> say today and D drive again ceases to work so he has a problem with I
> Tunes
> and Apple.
>
> He also tells me or he understands that if he puts his I Pod in
> another
> laptop or P.C then all the music files will be wiped, is that correct.

have you installed the itunes software or similar provided with the pod
as per instructions?? not with ipod conected etc?
he is incorrect about files being erased.

redo the i tunes (leave the cd in the drive during reboot) let it
finish ---reboot

FOLLOW THE GIVEN INSTRUCTIONS ON THE IPOD CD.

try this

remove all versions of itunes etc via control panel

reboot

check they have gone --if not remove again

insert cd run it----READ the instructions

yada
yada

then connect ipod

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

Why is it that someone keeps posting asking for a photo of you in a field?

secret squiddle

"carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BMWtf.15009$(E-Mail Removed)...
My son has had an I Pod for Chrimbo.

He has a problem with it by where once I Tunes are loaded on the laptop D
drive ceases to work.

If you do a previous reinstall the D drive worked put the setting back to
say today and D drive again ceases to work so he has a problem with I Tunes
and Apple.

He also tells me or he understands that if he puts his I Pod in another
laptop or P.C then all the music files will be wiped, is that correct.

You don't need to use iTunes to get your iPod working. You can use Winamp
with the appropriate plug-in to manage your iPod (assuming you are using
Windows)

www.winamp.com

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=138888

**SS**

Goonerak

> My son has had an I Pod for Chrimbo.
>
> He has a problem with it by where once I Tunes are loaded on the laptop D
> drive ceases to work.
>
> If you do a previous reinstall the D drive worked put the setting back to
> say today and D drive again ceases to work so he has a problem with I
> Tunes
> and Apple.
>
> He also tells me or he understands that if he puts his I Pod in another
> laptop or P.C then all the music files will be wiped, is that correct.

I had major problems getting my daughter's iPod shuffle to work. Are you
using Windows XP and does your son have a limited account or an
administrator account.

I found that to get it to work properly, you have to switch off the laptop,
plug in the iPod and then turn on the laptop.

If he plugs it into another PC the songs won't be wiped. I think that you
can only access the iPod from 1 PC which is crazy.

These devices are the most user unfriendly I have ever come across.

The Shed

"Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nAXtf.63827$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why is it that someone keeps posting asking for a photo of you in a
> field?

One day i will post it----not going to be pretty --but one day!!

The Shed

"Goonerak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4TYtf.19043$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> My son has had an I Pod for Chrimbo.
>>
>> He has a problem with it by where once I Tunes are loaded on the
>> laptop D
>> drive ceases to work.
>>
>> If you do a previous reinstall the D drive worked put the setting
>> back to
>> say today and D drive again ceases to work so he has a problem with I
>> Tunes
>> and Apple.
>>
>> He also tells me or he understands that if he puts his I Pod in
>> another
>> laptop or P.C then all the music files will be wiped, is that
>> correct.
>>

> I had major problems getting my daughter's iPod shuffle to work. Are
> you using Windows XP and does your son have a limited account or an
> administrator account.
>
> I found that to get it to work properly, you have to switch off the
> laptop, plug in the iPod and then turn on the laptop.
>
> If he plugs it into another PC the songs won't be wiped. I think that
> you can only access the iPod from 1 PC which is crazy.
>
> These devices are the most user unfriendly I have ever come across.

They are only unfriendly if

YOU DO NOT READ THE KIN INSTRUCTIONS

read the goddamn book and install as is spelt out --it is not hard

::Your Name Here::

Goonerak wrote:

> I had major problems getting my daughter's iPod shuffle to work. Are you
> using Windows XP and does your son have a limited account or an
> administrator account.
>
> I found that to get it to work properly, you have to switch off the laptop,
> plug in the iPod and then turn on the laptop.
>
> If he plugs it into another PC the songs won't be wiped. I think that you
> can only access the iPod from 1 PC which is crazy.
>
> These devices are the most user unfriendly I have ever come across.

My daughters' iPod installed fine and works fine on my PC (WinXP), her
PC (Win2k), my Mac (Mac Mini), her Mac (G3) and my laptop (Win2k).

Songs don't get wiped by plugging it into another PC, it (and the songs
on it) can be accessed by any of the Mac's or PC's.

Neither my daughter nor I think it is user unfriendly.

Follow the install instructions and it all works fine.

Mitch

In article <4TYtf.19043$(E-Mail Removed)>, Goonerak
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I had major problems getting my daughter's iPod shuffle to work. Are you
> using Windows XP and does your son have a limited account or an
> administrator account.
>
> I found that to get it to work properly, you have to switch off the laptop,
> plug in the iPod and then turn on the laptop.

That sounds like a limitation of the USB controller on the laptop.
I have a USB 1.1 CD writer that behaves similarly.

> If he plugs it into another PC the songs won't be wiped. I think that you

This is a concession to the music publishers. Apple doesn't put most
other kinds of limitations on the music files, so they instead made it
harder to move the files to more machines.
It isn't a design flaw.
On the other hand, aside from actually using it to move music, why
should you need to access it from multiple machines? Most people only
have one machine that they use, anyway, and almost certainly only one
that they store their music on.

Mitch

In article <BMWtf.15009$(E-Mail Removed)>, carol
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> He has a problem with it by where once I Tunes are loaded on the laptop D
> drive ceases to work.

Did he remove the CD when it restarted the computer?
As I understand it, the install process hasn't finished at that point.
He should probably uninstall and reinstall iTunes again, following the
instructions.

> If you do a previous reinstall the D drive worked put the setting back to
> say today and D drive again ceases to work so he has a problem with I Tunes
> and Apple.

Maybe not -- might just be he isn't following the instructions.

> He also tells me or he understands that if he puts his I Pod in another
> laptop or P.C then all the music files will be wiped, is that correct.

No -- but he shouldn't be able to access the music from a second
machine. You manage the music from only one machine at a time. (Trying
to set it up from a different machine may indeed be asking it to wipe
the current loaded music; I'm sure it will warn about this.)