Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > SATA and IDE HDs on the Same PC

SATA and IDE HDs on the Same PC

Chris

I'm rapidly running out of HD space. I already have two IDE hard
drives and two optical drives, so I can't simply add another IDE hard
drive, and I don't want the hassle of replacing one of the existing
ones. My new mobo has SATA connections, though, and I've room in the
case, so I was thinking of simply installing a SATA HD. As I'm just
after the extra space, I don't want to boot off it, but having looked
in the bios, that shouldn't be a problem since the new drive wouldn't
be in the boot sequence.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

While on the subject of SATA drives, does anyone know what the point
is of them having a different power connector, when a simple adaptor
will allow them to work off a molex connector??

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

David Wood

The problem having a lot of hard disks is a) power consumption b)noise
c)heat
I would try to keep the number of drives to a minimum of large ones
I believe SATA power connector has better power functions instead of the
crude Molex
BUT beware of the SATA connectors on HDD they are very easily broken!!
(horrifying design flaw, IDE/Molex was better)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm rapidly running out of HD space. I already have two IDE hard
> drives and two optical drives, so I can't simply add another IDE hard
> drive, and I don't want the hassle of replacing one of the existing
> ones. My new mobo has SATA connections, though, and I've room in the
> case, so I was thinking of simply installing a SATA HD. As I'm just
> after the extra space, I don't want to boot off it, but having looked
> in the bios, that shouldn't be a problem since the new drive wouldn't
> be in the boot sequence.
>
> Does this seem like a reasonable plan?
>
> While on the subject of SATA drives, does anyone know what the point
> is of them having a different power connector, when a simple adaptor
> will allow them to work off a molex connector??
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Chris.

The Shed

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm rapidly running out of HD space. I already have two IDE hard
> drives and two optical drives, so I can't simply add another IDE hard
> drive, and I don't want the hassle of replacing one of the existing
> ones. My new mobo has SATA connections, though, and I've room in the
> case, so I was thinking of simply installing a SATA HD. As I'm just
> after the extra space, I don't want to boot off it, but having looked
> in the bios, that shouldn't be a problem since the new drive wouldn't
> be in the boot sequence.
>
> Does this seem like a reasonable plan?
>
> While on the subject of SATA drives, does anyone know what the point
> is of them having a different power connector, when a simple adaptor
> will allow them to work off a molex connector??
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Chris.

just add a controller card----gives you another two ide slots-- if you
shop around you can even make it a raid system---use the same thing ,
run 5x 250gb drives two writers,one cd drive,one dvd drive ---power
supply is your limit .

why?

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 16:10:33 +0000, Chris wrote:

>I'm rapidly running out of HD space. I already have two IDE hard
>drives and two optical drives, so I can't simply add another IDE hard
>drive, and I don't want the hassle of replacing one of the existing

You can simply, if you have the space and power and free slot. Buy an
EIDE controller card.
Like this
http://www.cdromshop.com/cdshop/img....4118886210.jpg

Then there are USB/Firewire external drives.

>ones. My new mobo has SATA connections, though, and I've room in the
>case, so I was thinking of simply installing a SATA HD. As I'm just
>after the extra space, I don't want to boot off it, but having looked
>in the bios, that shouldn't be a problem since the new drive wouldn't
>be in the boot sequence.
>
>Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

Yes, works fine.

>While on the subject of SATA drives, does anyone know what the point
>is of them having a different power connector, when a simple adaptor

You could find out for yourself in a few minutes,

>will allow them to work off a molex connector??

it's been asked before in 24HSHD, although a while ago. You could search
http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk or
www.google.com search for the SATA spec , it's all there.

If you look at the contacts a few are longer than the others, these IIRC
are called precharge and ground , basically for making drives hot swap
was 1 reason.

>Thanks in advance,
>
>Chris.

fred-bloggs

Chris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I'm rapidly running out of HD space. I already have two IDE hard
> drives and two optical drives, so I can't simply add another IDE hard
> drive, and I don't want the hassle of replacing one of the existing
> ones. My new mobo has SATA connections, though, and I've room in the
> case, so I was thinking of simply installing a SATA HD. As I'm just
> after the extra space, I don't want to boot off it, but having looked
> in the bios, that shouldn't be a problem since the new drive wouldn't
> be in the boot sequence.
>
> Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

It would have saved _me_ time if I'd checked if there was a jumper on the
mobo (A7N8X-Deluxe) to enable the SATA controller.
Get the latest drivers from the mobo manufacturer.

--
fred

Chris

Thanks for the help people... Looks like I should be OK.

Chris.