Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Microsoft Office question

Microsoft Office question

Dinah

My new Gateway computer does not have Microsoft Office installed and I need
Microsoft Word like ASAP. Can I install the old Office 97 CD that was on my
old Gateway. It was really for Windows 95 OS now I have Windows XP. This
CD has an old version of Internet Explorer and I was wondering what it would
do to my updated one. TIA

samuel

"Dinah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:58Jtf.211927$(E-Mail Removed):

> My new Gateway computer does not have Microsoft Office
> installed and I need Microsoft Word like ASAP. Can I install
> the old Office 97 CD that was on my old Gateway. It was
> really for Windows 95 OS now I have Windows XP. This CD has
> an old version of Internet Explorer and I was wondering what
> it would do to my updated one. TIA

use open office instead
www.openoffice.org

John Inzer

Dinah wrote:
> My new Gateway computer does not have Microsoft Office
> installed and I need Microsoft Word like ASAP. Can I
> install the old Office 97 CD that was on my old Gateway.
> It was really for Windows 95 OS now I have Windows XP.
> This CD has an old version of Internet Explorer and I was
> wondering what it would do to my updated one. TIA

============================
Word 97 should run on WinXP.

Read the following article for a FYI
about the spell checker:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257643

IE should not install older files over
your current version.

Might be a good idea to create a
restore point before the install.

--

John Inzer

Au79

Dinah wrote:

> My new Gateway computer does not have Microsoft Office installed and I
> need
> Microsoft Word like ASAP. Can I install the old Office 97 CD that was on
> my
> old Gateway. It was really for Windows 95 OS now I have Windows XP. This
> CD has an old version of Internet Explorer and I was wondering what it
> would
> do to my updated one. TIA

OpenOffice.org 2.0 will read and write MS Word file formats. As a bonus,
this full featured office suite will write to PDF seamlessly.

Dinah

My concern is the old Internet Explorer version on the CD that I hesitate to
install it. I would be installing an old version on top of the new version.
What would happen?

"John Inzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dinah wrote:
>> My new Gateway computer does not have Microsoft Office
>> installed and I need Microsoft Word like ASAP. Can I
>> install the old Office 97 CD that was on my old Gateway. It was really
>> for Windows 95 OS now I have Windows XP. This CD has an old version of
>> Internet Explorer and I was
>> wondering what it would do to my updated one. TIA

> ============================
> Word 97 should run on WinXP.
> Read the following article for a FYI about the spell checker:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257643
>
> IE should not install older files over your current version.
>
> Might be a good idea to create a restore point before the install.
>
> --
>
> John Inzer

John Inzer

Dinah wrote:
> My concern is the old Internet Explorer version on the CD
> that I hesitate to install it. I would be installing an
> old version on top of the new version. What would happen?

=====================================
The old files should not update your
current (newer) version of IE.

I guess anything is possible, but I install
older versions of MS programs quite
often and have never had a problem
with IE.

Create a restore point before the
install...if you are unhappy...restore
the system.

It's also a good idea to close all
programs...especially virus scanners
before the install. Turning off printers,
scanners, etc. can't hurt either.

--

John Inzer

Au79

Au79 wrote:

> Dinah wrote:
>
>> My new Gateway computer does not have Microsoft Office installed and I
>> need
>> Microsoft Word like ASAP. Can I install the old Office 97 CD that was on
>> my
>> old Gateway. It was really for Windows 95 OS now I have Windows XP.
>> This CD has an old version of Internet Explorer and I was wondering what
>> it would
>> do to my updated one. TIA

> OpenOffice.org 2.0 will read and write MS Word file formats. As a bonus,
> this full featured office suite will write to PDF seamlessly.

.... Did I mention it's a free download?

PuppyKatt

"Dinah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rDKtf.212330$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My concern is the old Internet Explorer version on the CD that I hesitate
> to install it. I would be installing an old version on top of the new
> version. What would happen?

You will be stopped in the process. Why do you want to use an older version
of IE?

> "John Inzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dinah wrote:
>>> My new Gateway computer does not have Microsoft Office
>>> installed and I need Microsoft Word like ASAP. Can I
>>> install the old Office 97 CD that was on my old Gateway. It was really
>>> for Windows 95 OS now I have Windows XP. This CD has an old version of
>>> Internet Explorer and I was
>>> wondering what it would do to my updated one. TIA

>> ============================
>> Word 97 should run on WinXP.
>> Read the following article for a FYI about the spell checker:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257643
>>
>> IE should not install older files over your current version.
>>
>> Might be a good idea to create a restore point before the install.
>>
>> --
>>
>> John Inzer

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Dinah wrote:
> My concern is the old Internet Explorer version on the CD that I hesitate to
> install it. I would be installing an old version on top of the new version.
> What would happen?

A few years ago an ISP was handing out setup disks in my area, it would
automatically install IE with or without permission. If it installed
over a newer version, the only recourse was to format and reinstall.
Just as a precaution, if you do install Office 97 look through the
options offered and see if you can opt out of installing IE. Otherwise,
i think you'll be fine.

Dinah

I don't. You missed my first email. I'm trying to get to Microsoft Word 97
from an old Office 97CD and the old version of IE is on the CD.

news:dDLtf.3240$(E-Mail Removed)...