Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CD Drive problems

CD Drive problems

rfdjr1@optonline.net

Can't figure this one out. I have two CD/DVD drives installed. One is CDRW/DVD
Read Only, the other is both read and write CD/DVD.

I got a new program today and went to install it from a CD. First few tries, the
CD drive wouldn't find the CD. I kept getting a message saying "G:\ is not
accessible\ Incorrect Funtion. So I rebooted the machine and it found the CD and
the first part of the software installation went fine. Then when I had to put
the second of the two CD's in, I got the same error, Not Accessible\Incorrect
Function. So I couldn't install the software.

I then tried it on the second drive. Same thing.

I ran into the same problem a week or so ago. I was making CD's of photos for
some friends. They burned alright, but when I went to check them to see if the
files wrote properly, I got those same messages as above. I could reboot the
machine, and look at one CD. But if I tried another CD, same problem.
The past few days, I ripped twenty CD's of music into mp3 files with no problem.
Then today this Not accessible\Improper function thing crops up again.

Neither drive is over two years old. I don't really use them that much. I
checked in Device Manager and it says both are working fine.

My system is a P4 3.2Ghz processor, 2Gb RAM and is run by Windows XP Pro. My two
hard drives are SATA and the CD/DVD drives are IDE. I have to open the machine
up to make sure but I believe I put them each on their own cable, which makes me
wonder why when one is inaccessible, the other is too. I thought maybe the IDE
connection had gone bad. And if it matters, the motherboard is an Asus P4C-800
Deluxe.

So that's my problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

pcbutts1

Cut and paste everything between the lines and paste it into notepad. Save
the file as cdfix.reg and save it to the desktop. make sure you change the
save as type.... drop down box to all files. Once saved double click on the
file to merge it into the registry. Reboot.

Begin cut below this line
================================================== =================================
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\UdfReadr]

================================================== ==================================
End cut above this line

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can't figure this one out. I have two CD/DVD drives installed. One is
> CDRW/DVD
> Read Only, the other is both read and write CD/DVD.
>
> I got a new program today and went to install it from a CD. First few
> tries, the
> CD drive wouldn't find the CD. I kept getting a message saying "G:\ is not
> accessible\ Incorrect Funtion. So I rebooted the machine and it found the
> CD and
> the first part of the software installation went fine. Then when I had to
> put
> the second of the two CD's in, I got the same error, Not
> Accessible\Incorrect
> Function. So I couldn't install the software.
>
> I then tried it on the second drive. Same thing.
>
> I ran into the same problem a week or so ago. I was making CD's of photos
> for
> some friends. They burned alright, but when I went to check them to see if
> the
> files wrote properly, I got those same messages as above. I could reboot
> the
> machine, and look at one CD. But if I tried another CD, same problem.
> The past few days, I ripped twenty CD's of music into mp3 files with no
> problem.
> Then today this Not accessible\Improper function thing crops up again.
>
> Neither drive is over two years old. I don't really use them that much. I
> checked in Device Manager and it says both are working fine.
>
> My system is a P4 3.2Ghz processor, 2Gb RAM and is run by Windows XP Pro.
> My two
> hard drives are SATA and the CD/DVD drives are IDE. I have to open the
> machine
> up to make sure but I believe I put them each on their own cable, which
> makes me
> wonder why when one is inaccessible, the other is too. I thought maybe the
> IDE
> connection had gone bad. And if it matters, the motherboard is an Asus
> P4C-800
> Deluxe.
>
> So that's my problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

rfdjr1@optonline.net

Thanks. Can you tell me what apparently happened and what this fix does?
Inquiring minds want to know.

>Cut and paste everything between the lines and paste it into notepad. Save
>the file as cdfix.reg and save it to the desktop. make sure you change the
>save as type.... drop down box to all files. Once saved double click on the
>file to merge it into the registry. Reboot.
>

> Begin cut below this line
>================================================= ==================================
>REGEDIT4
>
>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
>"UpperFilters"=-
>"LowerFilters"=-
>
>[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdr4_2K]
>
>[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdralw2k]
>
>[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdudf]
>
>[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\UdfReadr]
>

>================================================= ===================================
> End cut above this line

pcbutts1

Badly written CD burning software modifying/corrupting the registry files.
That reg file I gave you resets the settings to MS specs.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks. Can you tell me what apparently happened and what this fix does?
> Inquiring minds want to know.
>
>>Cut and paste everything between the lines and paste it into notepad. Save
>>the file as cdfix.reg and save it to the desktop. make sure you change the
>>save as type.... drop down box to all files. Once saved double click on
>>the
>>file to merge it into the registry. Reboot.
>>

>> Begin cut below this line
>>================================================ ===================================
>>REGEDIT4
>>
>>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
>>"UpperFilters"=-
>>"LowerFilters"=-
>>
>>[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdr4_2K]
>>
>>[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdralw2k]
>>
>>[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdudf]
>>
>>[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\UdfReadr]
>>

>>================================================ ====================================
>> End cut above this line

rfdjr1@optonline.net

Okay, thanks.

>Badly written CD burning software modifying/corrupting the registry files.
>That reg file I gave you resets the settings to MS specs.

rfdjr1@optonline.net

Thanks you sir. Worked like a charm. If you're celebrating New Years tomorrow
night, first round is on me!

>Badly written CD burning software modifying/corrupting the registry files.
>That reg file I gave you resets the settings to MS specs.

pcbutts1

You're Welcome.