Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Registry problem - missing files or device on bootup. please help?

Registry problem - missing files or device on bootup. please help?

SS

I have just reloaded windows 98SE and my internet. I may have pressed some
buttons I shouldn't but every time I boot up i get the message "Cannot find
a device file that may be needed to run a windows or a windows application
application. The windows registry or system.ini refers to this device file
but the device no longer exists"

This message comes up 3 times for the files vnesetup.vxd, vredir.vxd, and
dfs.vxd. Then when windows has loaded I get the message WINDOWS NETWORKING -
unable to load the dynamic link library MSNP32.dll the system cannot find
file some features may not be available - MICROSOFT NETWORK.

Everything runs OK just have to keep hitting return on bootup which is a
nuisance. How can I rectify this problem? Why is it happening? What is it?!

Thanks

Rob K

SS wrote:
<snip>
> Why is it happening? What is it?!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q137454/

The article applies to W95 - for W98 removing and installing network
components is somewhat different IIRC.

--
My E-mail address in ROT-13
vf ab ybatre gurer, abg rira ng ubgznvy

SS

Thanks. I did a search for the problem using another file name of the ones
'missing' and in fact found that i could extract the files through 'RUN SFC'
(system file checker' and extracting the files from the Win 98 installation
disk and saving them to the WINDOWS SYSTEM directory. This got rid of the
startup problem having to 'press any key' but I still got the error message
from WINDOWS NETWORKING (unable to load dynamic link library MSNP32.dll)
despite also extracting this file to the system folder - still looking for a
fix. Thanks 4 your advice

"Rob K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> SS wrote:
> <snip>
> > Why is it happening? What is it?!
> >

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q137454/
>
> The article applies to W95 - for W98 removing and installing network
> components is somewhat different IIRC.
>
> --
> My E-mail address in ROT-13
> vf ab ybatre gurer, abg rira ng ubgznvy

Trax

"SS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Thanks. I did a search for the problem using another file name of the ones
|>'missing' and in fact found that i could extract the files through 'RUN SFC'
|>(system file checker' and extracting the files from the Win 98 installation
|>disk and saving them to the WINDOWS SYSTEM directory. This got rid of the
|>startup problem having to 'press any key' but I still got the error message
|>from WINDOWS NETWORKING (unable to load dynamic link library MSNP32.dll)
|>despite also extracting this file to the system folder - still looking for a
|>fix. Thanks 4 your advice

Most likely you need to register MSNP32.dll

Forget how to do it on a Win98
IIRC it's:
Start | Run| regsvr32 MSNP32.dll <enter>

|>"Rob K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
|>> SS wrote:
|>> <snip>
|>> >

|>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q137454/
|>>
|>> The article applies to W95 - for W98 removing and installing network
|>> components is somewhat different IIRC.
|>>
|>> --
|>> My E-mail address in ROT-13
|>> vf ab ybatre gurer, abg rira ng ubgznvy

--
Puzzle break.
http://219.101.39.52/~nanahiro/main.html

Trax

Trax <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Most likely you need to register MSNP32.dll
|>
|>Forget how to do it on a Win98
|>IIRC it's:
|>Start | Run| regsvr32 MSNP32.dll <enter>

Posted then googled, the command is
regsvr32 c:\windows\system\msnp32.dll
http://www.computing.net/windows95/w...um/166554.html

--
Puzzle break.
http://219.101.39.52/~nanahiro/main.html

SS

Seems to be OK now I uninstalled and installed Microsoft networking as
advised on a discussion group - thanks to all - unless you are 'up' on these
things tends to be very confusing!

"Trax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Trax <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

ones

'RUN SFC'

installation

the

message

MSNP32.dll)

for a

> |>Most likely you need to register MSNP32.dll
> |>
> |>Forget how to do it on a Win98
> |>IIRC it's:
> |>Start | Run| regsvr32 MSNP32.dll <enter>
>
> Posted then googled, the command is
> regsvr32 c:\windows\system\msnp32.dll
> http://www.computing.net/windows95/w...um/166554.html

> --
> Puzzle break.
> http://219.101.39.52/~nanahiro/main.html

Plato

SS wrote:

> I have just reloaded windows 98SE and my internet. I may have pressed some
> buttons I shouldn't but every time I boot up i get the message "Cannot find
> a device file that may be needed to run a windows or a windows application
> application. The windows registry or system.ini refers to this device file
> but the device no longer exists"
>
> This message comes up 3 times for the files vnesetup.vxd, vredir.vxd, and
> dfs.vxd. Then when windows has loaded I get the message WINDOWS NETWORKING -
> unable to load the dynamic link library MSNP32.dll the system cannot find
> file some features may not be available - MICROSOFT NETWORK.

One can edit system.ini and rem out the entries for the .vxd's. Or, one
can uninstall dialup networking, reboot, and install again, which should
fix it.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

SS wrote:

> Seems to be OK now I uninstalled and installed Microsoft networking as
> advised on a discussion group - thanks to all - unless you are 'up' on these
> things tends to be very confusing!

Yes, that is one way. Another way is to go into system.ini and rem out
the files it's incorrectly calling for.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/