Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Too Many Startup Programs

Too Many Startup Programs

dbixby

I currently have 68 processces running in the background. I was up to 82
until I removed AOL. Can anyone suggest what background services I may
safely remove from startup. Every time I try to remove a service Windows
gives out with sinister warning. Any help great appreciated. P.S. I'm
running WinXP Pro.

Trax

"dbixby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I currently have 68 processces running in the background. I was up to 82
|>until I removed AOL. Can anyone suggest what background services I may
|>safely remove from startup. Every time I try to remove a service Windows
|>gives out with sinister warning. Any help great appreciated. P.S. I'm
|>running WinXP Pro.

68, wow, I only have 28... I bet every program you have installed is
set to check for daily updates.

Services you can do without
http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_un..._on_windows_xp

Also download and run Process Explorer
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...sExplorer.html
Right click on each process and select Google to see if it's a program
you need to have running.

--
Puzzle break.
http://219.101.39.52/~nanahiro/main.html

philo

"dbixby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I currently have 68 processces running in the background. I was up to 82
>until I removed AOL. Can anyone suggest what background services I may
>safely remove from startup. Every time I try to remove a service Windows
>gives out with sinister warning. Any help great appreciated. P.S. I'm
>running WinXP Pro.

go to: run
then type and enter: msconfig

you can take most of the stuff out of startup

you'd want to leave your virus checker and firewall there...
but most everything else may be disabled...
save and reboot...your machine should run a lot better...

btw: any changes you make there are reversable
by just running msconfig again

The Shed

"dbixby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I currently have 68 processces running in the background. I was up to
>82 until I removed AOL. Can anyone suggest what background services I
>may safely remove from startup. Every time I try to remove a service
>Windows gives out with sinister warning. Any help great appreciated.
>P.S. I'm running WinXP Pro.

http://startup.networktechs.com/

old jon

"dbixby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I currently have 68 processces running in the background. I was up to 82
>until I removed AOL. Can anyone suggest what background services I may
>safely remove from startup. Every time I try to remove a service Windows
>gives out with sinister warning. Any help great appreciated. P.S. I'm
>running WinXP Pro.

Black Viper produced a list of XP services that you can modify here.
http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm
I`m on 46 processes.
best wishes..OJ

B.I.

"old jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RcXsf.52180$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "dbixby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I currently have 68 processces running in the background. I was up to
>>82 until I removed AOL. Can anyone suggest what background services I
>>may safely remove from startup. Every time I try to remove a service
>>Windows gives out with sinister warning. Any help great appreciated.
>>P.S. I'm running WinXP Pro.
>>

> Black Viper produced a list of XP services that you can modify here.
> http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm
> I`m on 46 processes.
> best wishes..OJ

I note that the information appears to apply to WXP (professional).
How relative will this information be to the Home edition?

Toolman Tim

In news:dp6eoq$kbo$(E-Mail Removed),
B.I. spewed forth:
> "old jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:RcXsf.52180$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "dbixby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I currently have 68 processces running in the background. I was up
>>> to 82 until I removed AOL. Can anyone suggest what background
>>> services I may safely remove from startup. Every time I try to
>>> remove a service Windows gives out with sinister warning. Any help
>>> great appreciated. P.S. I'm running WinXP Pro.
>>>

>> Black Viper produced a list of XP services that you can modify here.
>> http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm
>> I`m on 46 processes.
>> best wishes..OJ
>>

> I note that the information appears to apply to WXP (professional).
> How relative will this information be to the Home edition?

Quite relevant - most services provided by XP Pro are also available in XP
Home.

Plato

B.I. wrote:

> >>I currently have 68 processces running in the background. I was up to
> >>82 until I removed AOL. Can anyone suggest what background services I

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/248.htm#2

ellis_jay

old jon wrote:
> "dbixby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I currently have 68 processces running in the background. I was up
>> to 82 until I removed AOL. Can anyone suggest what background
>> services I may safely remove from startup. Every time I try to
>> remove a service Windows gives out with sinister warning. Any help
>> great appreciated. P.S. I'm running WinXP Pro.
>>

> Black Viper produced a list of XP services that you can modify here.
> http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm
> I`m on 46 processes.
> best wishes..OJ

Your site advises not to use msconfig to disable services. Why is that
different from what others recommend?

Ellis_jay

Toolman Tim

In news(E-Mail Removed),
ellis_jay spewed forth:
> old jon wrote:
>> "dbixby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I currently have 68 processces running in the background. I was up
>>> to 82 until I removed AOL. Can anyone suggest what background
>>> services I may safely remove from startup. Every time I try to
>>> remove a service Windows gives out with sinister warning. Any help
>>> great appreciated. P.S. I'm running WinXP Pro.
>>>

>> Black Viper produced a list of XP services that you can modify here.
>> http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm
>> I`m on 46 processes.
>> best wishes..OJ

> Your site advises not to use msconfig to disable services. Why is
> that different from what others recommend?

MSConfig is an excellent troubleshooting tool, but if you dig into how it
works, it isn't the best way to fix problems permanently. For example, if
you use it to disable items that normal are started in the registry "run"
section, it merely moves those items to a temporary spot in the registry.
And then the program has to load every time Windows boots in order to
process the changes a user made. It is great for finding out what *needs* to
be fixed but It hasn't "fixed" anything.