Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: RAM Memory upgrade card problem.

Re: RAM Memory upgrade card problem.

Walter Mautner

Knut Arvid Keilen wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I and a friend are going to upgrade a Pentium 3 based machine (733 MHz).
> There is a hard disk installed as well as
> some memory cards (SIMM-cards). I do still not know how many memory cards,
> what specification they do have, the amount of
> total installed memory or how many memory card slots that are available.
>
> If helpful, I do myself have 3 memory cards from a Pentium 2 machine (233
> MHz). 2 of these cards having different labels, but 128 MB / 100 Mhz.

Looks like they all are from the same generation. You are talking about
SDRAM DIMM modules.

> Also a third card, which may be a 64 MB / 100 MHz card. There is

Waste of slot space.

> eventually either lableled on the bottom side or allotted space for for 9
> chips on each card,
> but there are 8 physical chips on each of these cards. I think there may
> be a question related to parity here.
>
> In addition, 3 memory cards from a MS-6330 Lite ATX VA Mainboard, which
> supports AMD (TM) PGA Socket A Duron (TM) / Athlon (TM) processor, these 3
> memory cards are all 256 MB / 133 MHz TwinMOS SDR/CL3 cards and may the
> most powerful of all of these memory cards to my guess.

Still SDRAMs on that board, so your best chance.
Next generation would be DDRAM.

> There is space for 9 chips, but there are 8 physical chips installed. Also
> a parity question in this case as well.
>
> Should I go for the TwinMOS cards in the memory card upgrade ? There are
> perhaps 512 MB memory cards available in the shops having 133 Mhz or
> higher speeds that are better.

Why not go for the whole MS-6330 board?

Linux 2.6.12-mm2 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Knut Arvid Keilen

"Walter Mautner" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i melding
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Knut Arvid Keilen wrote:
>
>> Hi !
>>
>> I and a friend are going to upgrade a Pentium 3 based machine (733 MHz).
>> There is a hard disk installed as well as
>> some memory cards (SIMM-cards). I do still not know how many memory
>> cards,
>> what specification they do have, the amount of
>> total installed memory or how many memory card slots that are available.
>>
>> If helpful, I do myself have 3 memory cards from a Pentium 2 machine (233
>> MHz). 2 of these cards having different labels, but 128 MB / 100 Mhz.

> Looks like they all are from the same generation. You are talking about
> SDRAM DIMM modules.
>
>> Also a third card, which may be a 64 MB / 100 MHz card. There is

> Waste of slot space.
>
>> eventually either lableled on the bottom side or allotted space for for 9
>> chips on each card,
>> but there are 8 physical chips on each of these cards. I think there may
>> be a question related to parity here.
>>
>> In addition, 3 memory cards from a MS-6330 Lite ATX VA Mainboard, which
>> supports AMD (TM) PGA Socket A Duron (TM) / Athlon (TM) processor, these
>> 3
>> memory cards are all 256 MB / 133 MHz TwinMOS SDR/CL3 cards and may the
>> most powerful of all of these memory cards to my guess.

> Still SDRAMs on that board, so your best chance.
> Next generation would be DDRAM.
>
>> There is space for 9 chips, but there are 8 physical chips installed.
>> Also
>> a parity question in this case as well.
>>
>> Should I go for the TwinMOS cards in the memory card upgrade ? There are
>> perhaps 512 MB memory cards available in the shops having 133 Mhz or
>> higher speeds that are better.
>>

> Why not go for the whole MS-6330 board?
>
> --
> vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse detected penguin patterns
> on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
> incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
> Linux 2.6.12-mm2 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Why not go for the whole MS-6330 board?

Sorry, No !