Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Administrative Tools

Administrative Tools

oscar

Win XP Pro

I had 'Administrative Tools' appearing in my Start list.
I inadvertently clicked and dragged it into my desktop
and now I cannot get it back to my start programs list
(All Programs) nor can I delete it or re-establish in the
proper place or at least put it where I want it.
How is that accomplished?

Toolman Tim

In news:_aLqf.5748$xF6.4110@fed1read01,
oscar spewed forth:
> Win XP Pro
>
> I had 'Administrative Tools' appearing in my Start list.
> I inadvertently clicked and dragged it into my desktop
> and now I cannot get it back to my start programs list
> (All Programs) nor can I delete it or re-establish in the
> proper place or at least put it where I want it.
> How is that accomplished?

Right-click the taskbar, select properties. Click the start menu tab. Click
Customize next to Start Menu. Click the advanced tab. Scroll down to System
Administrative Tools. Select your option.

Trax

"oscar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Win XP Pro
|>
|>I had 'Administrative Tools' appearing in my Start list.
|>I inadvertently clicked and dragged it into my desktop
|>and now I cannot get it back to my start programs list
|>(All Programs) nor can I delete it or re-establish in the
|>proper place or at least put it where I want it.
|>How is that accomplished?

If other suggestions don't work try:

Right click on the Start Button and select "explore all users", Open
Programs and move it there (or drop on Programs).

The path is "<drive>:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools"

--
Floating Magnet
http://www.realboring.com/floating-magnet/

oscar

Thanks to both of you!!
Now if you can only tell me how to delete the
ad tools icon from my desktop.
"Trax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "oscar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |>Win XP Pro
> |>
> |>I had 'Administrative Tools' appearing in my Start list.
> |>I inadvertently clicked and dragged it into my desktop
> |>and now I cannot get it back to my start programs list
> |>(All Programs) nor can I delete it or re-establish in the
> |>proper place or at least put it where I want it.
> |>How is that accomplished?
>
> If other suggestions don't work try:
>
> Right click on the Start Button and select "explore all users", Open
> Programs and move it there (or drop on Programs).
>
> The path is "<drive>:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
> Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools"
>
> --
> Floating Magnet
> http://www.realboring.com/floating-magnet/

Toolman Tim

In news:QlLqf.5751$xF6.2466@fed1read01,
oscar spewed forth:
> Thanks to both of you!!
> Now if you can only tell me how to delete the
> ad tools icon from my desktop.

Right-click, delete.

> "Trax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> If other suggestions don't work try:
>>
>> Right click on the Start Button and select "explore all users", Open
>> Programs and move it there (or drop on Programs).
>>
>> The path is "<drive>:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
>> Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools"
>>
>> --
>> Floating Magnet
>> http://www.realboring.com/floating-magnet/

oscar

No such luck TTim. Window arises: 'Cannot be Deleted' (sic)
news:unLqf.1307$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:QlLqf.5751$xF6.2466@fed1read01,
> oscar spewed forth:
> > Thanks to both of you!!
> > Now if you can only tell me how to delete the
> > ad tools icon from my desktop.

> Right-click, delete.
>
> > "Trax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> If other suggestions don't work try:
> >>
> >> Right click on the Start Button and select "explore all users", Open
> >> Programs and move it there (or drop on Programs).
> >>
> >> The path is "<drive>:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
> >> Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools"
> >>
> >> --
> >> Floating Magnet
> >> http://www.realboring.com/floating-magnet/

> --
> Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories...

Toolman Tim

Is it telling you the file is in use? Try booting in safe mode and deleting
it.

oscar spewed forth:
> No such luck TTim. Window arises: 'Cannot be Deleted' (sic)
> news:unLqf.1307$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In news:QlLqf.5751$xF6.2466@fed1read01,
>> oscar spewed forth:
>>> Thanks to both of you!!
>>> Now if you can only tell me how to delete the
>>> ad tools icon from my desktop.

>> Right-click, delete.
>>
>>> "Trax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> --
>> Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories...

oscar

Safe mode - same thing: 'Administrative Tools is a Windows system folder
and
is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be deleted'. I can
put it up in my taskbar with the others as a copy but the original icon
stays
on the desktop.
Guess I'm stuck with this AdMin icon as the only one in/on my desktop.
I lurk here regularly and I'm familiar with your postings which are always
germane and helpful. I thank you for your efforts.

news:mwLqf.1312$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it telling you the file is in use? Try booting in safe mode and

deleting
> it.
>
> oscar spewed forth:
> > No such luck TTim. Window arises: 'Cannot be Deleted' (sic)
> > "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:unLqf.1307$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> In news:QlLqf.5751$xF6.2466@fed1read01,
> >> oscar spewed forth:
> >>
> >> Right-click, delete.

> >> --
> >> Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories...

> --
> Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories...

Toolman Tim

Yeah - that is a tough one. I've spent a few minutes trying to figure out
how it could have happened in the first place, since that's directly related
to the solution.

If it really is the actual system folder, then the folder itself got moved,
rather than a shortcut being created. So, it is essential to know what the
original location is. That particular folder belongs here:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\

So if you open that folder with Windows explorer and then drag your
Administrative Tools folder back from the desktop, it should be fixed.

In news:dxNqf.8496$xF6.7083@fed1read01,
oscar spewed forth: