Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Itunes smartplay list

Itunes smartplay list

Flair@syntex.com

How do I make a smartplaylist in itunes that allows for more than one genre?
When I try to set it up from the "File menu" I go through all the steps but
it only gives me the screen with no music?

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> How do I make a smartplaylist in itunes that allows for more than one genre?
> When I try to set it up from the "File menu" I go through all the steps but
> it only gives me the screen with no music?

I'll bet you just didn't change the 'match ALL rules' at the top to
'match ANY rule'

Set these in the Smart Playlist:
match GENRE to HIP HOP
match GENRE to ALTERNATIVE
Change the ALL to ANY at the top

Check the appropriate boxes at the bottom (limit to, match, update
list).

I'v got a large library, and I've entered year and rating tags for
most, so I have a couple Smart playlists that include two or three
genre and a year range (1550-1926, or 1973-1982), along with ratings
(above three) and play count (below 3 times).

It's also fun to use it for driving music; set the ratings to over
three, track less than five minutes long, 'least recently played' and
limit to 70 minutes.

You can change the entries in a Smart Playlist like that by just Select
All and Delete; the playlist will rebuild itself with new random
entries.

Another neat trick; you can enter another playlist as an exception to
the Smart playlist you are making. if you want to make sure none of
your driving CDs have the same song, just set the previous list as an
exception to the next one. (e.g. track is not in [playlist])