Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows SP2 update dosen't work

Windows SP2 update dosen't work

KingKong

Hi all, I have to update my pirate Windows XP pro with service pack 2
but when I try to install SP2 I get an error message saying that the
key is not valid. Is there a safe way to install SP2 (not buying a new
legal Windows XP)? The reason why I want to update is that my USB can't
be used as USB2.0 if I don't update (at least SP1, but I want to update
SP2 direct since SP1 is included in SP2?). I have to be able to use USB
2.0 since the printer doesn't support USB1.1.

Best regards

Pat

Gary

KingKong wrote:
> Hi all, I have to update my pirate Windows XP pro with service pack 2
> but when I try to install SP2 I get an error message saying that the
> key is not valid. Is there a safe way to install SP2 (not buying a new
> legal Windows XP)? The reason why I want to update is that my USB can't
> be used as USB2.0 if I don't update (at least SP1, but I want to update
> SP2 direct since SP1 is included in SP2?). I have to be able to use USB
> 2.0 since the printer doesn't support USB1.1.
>
> Best regards
>
> Pat

Shame on you for stealing software and double shame on you for using a
standard known-to-be-stolen key for the installation. Your options are
to either go out and buy a real copy of Windows that you can then
register, or to go out and find a key generation program and then
generate enough keys that one of them will pass the MS test. They exist,
but the easier way is to buy the software, or change to Linux.

KingKong

Yes shame on me, or on the person that I bought the computer from...

Anyway, the MS test mentioned in the former reply, where/when do I do
that? Not during the SP2 installation, because it just stoped when I
tried. If I have a legal key and I don't want to format my computer,
can I change the key from my pirate to a legal/generated in a safe/easy
way so that I can update to SP2 then?

Best regards

Pat

PJB

"KingKong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Yes shame on me, or on the person that I bought the computer from...
>
> Anyway, the MS test mentioned in the former reply, where/when do I do
> that? Not during the SP2 installation, because it just stoped when I
> tried. If I have a legal key and I don't want to format my computer,
> can I change the key from my pirate to a legal/generated in a safe/easy
> way so that I can update to SP2 then?

I think you can, but if memory serves, it gets very messy. You could try a
computer fair, you can usually pick up cheap oem copies of XP there.

P.

jos_beranek@hotmail.com

Try "the XP CD" with SP2 integrated

Oldus Fartus

KingKong wrote:
> Hi all, I have to update my pirate Windows XP pro with service pack 2
> but when I try to install SP2 I get an error message saying that the
> key is not valid. Is there a safe way to install SP2 (not buying a new
> legal Windows XP)? The reason why I want to update is that my USB can't
> be used as USB2.0 if I don't update (at least SP1, but I want to update
> SP2 direct since SP1 is included in SP2?). I have to be able to use USB
> 2.0 since the printer doesn't support USB1.1.

Do not use manual update. Setup auto-update and it should work fine.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

KingKong

The reason why I have downloaded (from work) the whole SP2 is because I
only have a very slow internet connection at home and it would take me
forever to install it.

I got a tip about changing the key:

Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.41

Do I dare to try this?

/Pat

Ron Martell

"KingKong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The reason why I have downloaded (from work) the whole SP2 is because I
>only have a very slow internet connection at home and it would take me
>forever to install it.
>
>I got a tip about changing the key:
>
>Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.41
>
>Do I dare to try this?
>
>/Pat

Magic Jelly Bean is pretty safe insofar as changing the key is
concerned. However the new key you use has to be one that is for the
actual edition (Pro, Home, Tablet, Media Center), version (OEM, Retail
Upgrade, Retail Full, Volume License) and language that you have
installed.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

Gary

KingKong wrote:
> The reason why I have downloaded (from work) the whole SP2 is because I
> only have a very slow internet connection at home and it would take me
> forever to install it.
>
> I got a tip about changing the key:
>
> Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.41
>
> Do I dare to try this?
>
> /Pat

Magic Jelly Bean will work just fine in changing the key, but you still
need a good key. Look around for xp key generators and go from there.
However, it is still unlikely that you will find a 'legitimate' key
using that method. Using p2p you can find a sp2 version and it then
might have a good key. A lot easier to just bite the bullet and buy a
copy. Much less work that way. I presume your time is worth something,
and it will take many hours to find the right hack.

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com,
KingKong spewed forth:
> Hi all, I have to update my pirate Windows XP pro with service pack 2
> but when I try to install SP2 I get an error message saying that the
> key is not valid. Is there a safe way to install SP2 (not buying a new
> legal Windows XP)? The reason why I want to update is that my USB
> can't be used as USB2.0 if I don't update (at least SP1, but I want
> to update SP2 direct since SP1 is included in SP2?). I have to be
> able to use USB
> 2.0 since the printer doesn't support USB1.1.
>
> Best regards
>
> Pat

Hogwash. First, ignoring the illicit software, SP1 and SP2 have nothing to
do with USB 2.0. Second, all (that means *all*) certified USB 2.0 devices
will run on USB 1.1 ports. They just run slower. If your printer is from a
major manufacturer (Canon, Lexmark, HP, Epson, etc.) it is going to work on
USB 1.1. That's part of the USB 2.0 specification. So if your printer isn't
working, you have OTHER problems.