Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dual monitors

Dual monitors

Stuart

I would like to convert my machine to utilise Dual Monitors.

Presumably I need a dual Monitor Video Card.

Any advise, suggestions would be very welcome, what do I nned to know?

My machine is only a few months old, so, sort of up to date!

Donald

Do you see two places on card to plug?
on my GForce there's a digital an a analog works great for me
"Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:do7i3r$mev$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would like to convert my machine to utilise Dual Monitors.
>
> Presumably I need a dual Monitor Video Card.
>
> Any advise, suggestions would be very welcome, what do I nned to know?
>
> My machine is only a few months old, so, sort of up to date!

philo

"Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:do7i3r$mev$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would like to convert my machine to utilise Dual Monitors.
>
> Presumably I need a dual Monitor Video Card.

Or a 2nd video card

Mitch

In article <do7i3r$mev$(E-Mail Removed)>, Stuart <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I would like to convert my machine to utilise Dual Monitors.
>
> Presumably I need a dual Monitor Video Card.
>
> Any advise, suggestions would be very welcome, what do I nned to know?
>
> My machine is only a few months old, so, sort of up to date!

No, you merely need another video card. You don't have to have one that
supports two monitors.
You could use two cards that each support one monitor, too.
And I suspect you can find a better price for that.

Don

What do stores do when they have 15 or so monitors on the shelf for sale?i
see a multiplug with a bunch of white wires coming out of it....whats that?
"Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:do7i3r$mev$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would like to convert my machine to utilise Dual Monitors.
>
> Presumably I need a dual Monitor Video Card.
>
> Any advise, suggestions would be very welcome, what do I nned to know?
>
> My machine is only a few months old, so, sort of up to date!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Don wrote:
> What do stores do when they have 15 or so monitors on the shelf for sale?i
> see a multiplug with a bunch of white wires coming out of it....whats that?

I don't think the OP is wanting two monitors displaying the same thing.
Dual monitors is intended for displaying more stuff - extending the
desktop, not the same stuff twice. As an example, look at this:
http://www.digitaltigers.com/zenview.shtml

Stuart

"Mitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:191220051615077164%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <do7i3r$mev$(E-Mail Removed)>, Stuart <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> I would like to convert my machine to utilise Dual Monitors.
>>
>> Presumably I need a dual Monitor Video Card.
>>
>> Any advise, suggestions would be very welcome, what do I nned to know?
>>
>> My machine is only a few months old, so, sort of up to date!
>>

> No, you merely need another video card. You don't have to have one that
> supports two monitors.
> You could use two cards that each support one monitor, too.
> And I suspect you can find a better price for that.

What is involved in setting up two video cards on the same machine, does XP
automattically support this?

Since I am only going to be using the second monitor to hold a VB editor
(graphically this is just a text file) will any El Cheapo graphics card off
ebay that will plug into a pci slot do?

Mitch

In article <do9t2s$n3f$(E-Mail Removed)>, Stuart <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> What is involved in setting up two video cards on the same machine, does XP
> automattically support this?

Well, it's possible. Mac OS has always supported it automatically, but
that doesn't tell you much. It certainly shouldn't be much more than a
step or two. Wait for comments about how this is activated.

> Since I am only going to be using the second monitor to hold a VB editor
> (graphically this is just a text file) will any El Cheapo graphics card off
> ebay that will plug into a pci slot do?

That's the only hardware requirement, as long as PCI is the slot type.
If you have a free AGP slot, you'll want that type. If it's a newer
machine, you may want PCI X or PCI Express.
Keep in mind that using two drivers (for two different kinds of cards
or processor types) can still cause OS conflicts. I can't speak to
that; you'll have to wait for more comments.

q_q_anonymous@yahoo.co.uk

Mitch wrote:
> In article <do9t2s$n3f$(E-Mail Removed)>, Stuart <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > What is involved in setting up two video cards on the same machine, does XP
> > automattically support this?

> Well, it's possible. Mac OS has always supported it automatically, but
> that doesn't tell you much. It certainly shouldn't be much more than a
> step or two. Wait for comments about how this is activated.
>
> > Since I am only going to be using the second monitor to hold a VB editor
> > (graphically this is just a text file) will any El Cheapo graphics card off
> > ebay that will plug into a pci slot do?

> That's the only hardware requirement, as long as PCI is the slot type.
> If you have a free AGP slot, you'll want that type. If it's a newer
> machine, you may want PCI X or PCI Express.
> Keep in mind that using two drivers (for two different kinds of cards
> or processor types) can still cause OS conflicts. I can't speak to
> that; you'll have to wait for more comments.

how is he going to to control what is displayed on one screen and what
is displayed on another?

note- I have 2 monitors, but the same displayed on both. I just got a
VGA splitter cable from ebay. Obviosuly that's not what he wants
though.

Paul_B

On 21 Dec 2005 07:55:03 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Mitch wrote:
>> In article <do9t2s$n3f$(E-Mail Removed)>, Stuart <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> What is involved in setting up two video cards on the same machine, does XP
>>> automattically support this?

>> Well, it's possible. Mac OS has always supported it automatically, but
>> that doesn't tell you much. It certainly shouldn't be much more than a
>> step or two. Wait for comments about how this is activated.
>>
>>> Since I am only going to be using the second monitor to hold a VB editor
>>> (graphically this is just a text file) will any El Cheapo graphics card off
>>> ebay that will plug into a pci slot do?

>> That's the only hardware requirement, as long as PCI is the slot type.
>> If you have a free AGP slot, you'll want that type. If it's a newer
>> machine, you may want PCI X or PCI Express.
>> Keep in mind that using two drivers (for two different kinds of cards
>> or processor types) can still cause OS conflicts. I can't speak to
>> that; you'll have to wait for more comments.

> how is he going to to control what is displayed on one screen and what
> is displayed on another?

Windows will automatically handle multimonitor support. Firmware
desktop management adds features.

Paul