Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > OSPF Resource

OSPF Resource

Jeffery Guan

Dear all,

Does any one have a good OSPF reference that is available on the net? I am
currently preparing 70-216 and I am having trouble understanding OSPF from
my MCSE books (including the Internetworks from Win2k Resource Kit set).

BTW, is OSPF included in the 70-218 exam? If it is not, I might as well take
70-218 exam first while taking my time understanding OSPF

Thanks in advance.

Gary K

I've taken all those exams and none of them had any questions on the inner
workings of routing protocols. Microsoft seems to want to make sure you
know that those protocols exist, have some real general knowledge of them
like where OSPF would be used versus RIP and why, but that's about it.

Microsoft doesn't really seem to be real concerned about routing skills in
their certifications, at least not in the 6 exams I've passed. I don't even
remember getting any questions on subnetting, but then that's a piece of
cake.

"Jeffery Guan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Om5kV%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear all,
>
> Does any one have a good OSPF reference that is available on the net? I am
> currently preparing 70-216 and I am having trouble understanding OSPF from
> my MCSE books (including the Internetworks from Win2k Resource Kit set).
>
> BTW, is OSPF included in the 70-218 exam? If it is not, I might as well

take
> 70-218 exam first while taking my time understanding OSPF
>
> Thanks in advance.

Gary K

Yes, 216 is the hardest one of the tests I took. If you want a resource for
a more inclusive look at OSPF just for your own info....
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ospf-charter.html

Just for further clarification, I'm currently working on my CCNA and the
amount of info needed on routing protocols, compared to what Microsoft asks
for, is my frame of reference in answering your question. That is why I
said general info on RIP and OSPF.

Know the operating characteristics of each version of RIP, and OSPF, know
where you would use them and why, and main features such as split-horizon,
poison-reverse, etc.... I doubt very much you would get into anything such
as packet size, # and size of fields in packets, etc... The specifics of
routing protocols.
"Jeffery Guan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks to everyone for clarifying. I tought 70-216 is very tough as most
> mentioned that it is a beast in this newsgroup and I feel the OSPF in MS
> Resource Kit is not enough. Just want to be very very prepared for the big
> battle. Now, I think that is unnecessary. Time to move on to the next
> chapter.
>

> "Webster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Jeffery Guan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Om5kV%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > Does any one have a good OSPF reference that is available on the net?

> am
> > > currently preparing 70-216 and I am having trouble understanding OSPF

> > Jeffery,
> >
> > I have just recently passed 216 and 218. The best resource for OSPF is

> the
> > W2K Server Resource Kit. BUT - for these two exams you only need to

know
> > when you would use OSPF versus RIP 1 or RIP 2 and the differences

between
> > RIP and OSPF. How OSPF works is left up to the Cisco exams.
> >
> > HTH
> >

> > Webster

Ali

Hi Jeffery,
with reading all the replies to your post, I thought that the best resource
for you could be CCNP - Routing. I have the Sybex Press book, and it has 2
chapters (almost 100 pages) of OSPF. I was exactly like you about OSPF
before I wanted to take this exam, and I read the Win2kSrv Resource Kit's
OSPF, and understood it very well. but keep in mind that in this exam, there
will be no technical questions (if any) for OSPF.

HTH =o)

Regards,
Ali,
MCSA