Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > From experience: How many time can you record on DVD-RW?

From experience: How many time can you record on DVD-RW?

lbbss

Can someone tell me from personal experience, how many time can you
re-record on a DVD-RW. With CD-RW I found that after a few times
they got scratched up that I could not rely on the CD. When I copied
jpgs they were often corrupted. Thanks for your input.

me

Not being funny but if you are careful when handling them they wont get
scratched and they will last for ages.
When you say you copied jpgs you found "often" that you had corrupted
files,do you mean from your hard drive to a new disc,or from a disc to
another disc? Maybe the discs were bad to start with.

"lbbss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Can someone tell me from personal experience, how many time can you
> re-record on a DVD-RW. With CD-RW I found that after a few times
> they got scratched up that I could not rely on the CD. When I copied
> jpgs they were often corrupted. Thanks for your input.

lbbss

I mean copied jpegs and avi's from hardrive to cdrw for backup.
I am hoping to buy a dvd recorder and record tv show on dvd-rws.
Just wondering if that would be practical. On average how many times
do you think you could record on a dvd-rw. If someone could
enlighten me from experience. How many times 10, 20, 50 times? Or
are they too much bother from a practical point of view. Maybe I
should dish out more money for a recorder that can do dvd-ram or hard
drive. Thanks for your input.

SgtMinor

lbbss wrote:
> Can someone tell me from personal experience, how many time can you
> re-record on a DVD-RW. With CD-RW I found that after a few times
> they got scratched up that I could not rely on the CD. When I copied
> jpgs they were often corrupted. Thanks for your input.

Only a severely anal retentive person would actually write down the
number of times s/he re-recorded a DVD-RW, and if you did find someone
who actually did record this, it would not be for a wide array of media.
Not all DVD disks are created equal.

The theoretical number of rewrites for a DVD-RW disk is around 1000.

http://www.looksmarthowto.com/p/arti...40/pg_2?pi=lum

http://pioneeraus.com.au.us.server-f...e_paper%20.pdf

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com,
lbbss spewed forth:
> Can someone tell me from personal experience, how many time can you
> re-record on a DVD-RW. With CD-RW I found that after a few times
> they got scratched up that I could not rely on the CD. When I
> copied jpgs they were often corrupted. Thanks for your input.

Take care of your discs. I have a CDRW at work that I've used for almost two
years to make a weekly file update for a plant office - they take it out,
run it, bring it back, and in a week I write a new update to it for them. So
I'd say this one has been used close to 100 times (TDK brand, FWIW).

DVD-RW isn't going to be any better if you don't take care of your discs. It
just holds more data.

lbbss

I read a one ng post saying that dvd-rw are too much hassle, that
dvd-ram is much more convenient for recording tv shows.

why?

On 17 Dec 2005 20:42:26 -0800, lbbss wrote:

>Can someone tell me from personal experience, how many time can you
>re-record on a DVD-RW. With CD-RW I found that after a few times
>they got scratched up that I could not rely on the CD. When I copied
>jpgs they were often corrupted. Thanks for your input.

After burning, http://www.dskin.net/

d_skin Protective Disc Skins are optically clear protective covers that
acts as a Skin for discs, guarding against scratches. The Liplock Seal™
snaps onto the edge of any standard-size disc and holds the protective
"Skin" tight. The Skin’s ability to eliminate scratches extends disc
life, which helps reduce the high cost of replacing damaged CDs, DVDs
and video games.

Because all discs protected with d_skin Protective Disc Skins are
readable right through the Skin, they can stay on the disc while playing
movies, music, data CDs or video games as well as while burning data
onto blank discs.

Me

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
why? spewed forth:
> On 17 Dec 2005 20:42:26 -0800, lbbss wrote:
>
>> Can someone tell me from personal experience, how many time can you
>> re-record on a DVD-RW. With CD-RW I found that after a few times
>> they got scratched up that I could not rely on the CD. When I
>> copied jpgs they were often corrupted. Thanks for your input.

> After burning, http://www.dskin.net/
>
> d_skin Protective Disc Skins are optically clear protective covers
> that acts as a Skin for discs, guarding against scratches. The
> Liplock SealT snaps onto the edge of any standard-size disc and holds
> the protective "Skin" tight. The Skin's ability to eliminate
> scratches extends disc life, which helps reduce the high cost of
> replacing damaged CDs, DVDs and video games.
>
> Because all discs protected with d_skin Protective Disc Skins are
> readable right through the Skin, they can stay on the disc while
> playing movies, music, data CDs or video games as well as while
> burning data onto blank discs.

Another excellent idea! I also like those plastic screen covers for LCD
screens on PDAs, cameras, etc. for preventing scratches on expensive
equipment.