Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 5000LE 80GB external USB drive upgrade to 200GB

5000LE 80GB external USB drive upgrade to 200GB

Spuds

I have a 5000LE 80GB external USB drive from Maxtor. Does anyone know if
it's possible to throw a 200GB drive in this enclosure? Is it a straight
swap? Will a newer drive be too hot for this enclosure? TIA.

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Spuds spewed forth:
> I have a 5000LE 80GB external USB drive from Maxtor. Does anyone
> know if it's possible to throw a 200GB drive in this enclosure? Is
> it a straight swap? Will a newer drive be too hot for this
> enclosure? TIA.

Why? At the low cost of a new enclosure on eBay, just get a new enclosure
and you'll have *two* nice external drives...

But realistically, a larger capacity drive is unlikely to run hotter than
the existing drive. Whether or not the electronics in the enclosure will
know how to handle the larger drive is a technical question that only Maxtor
can probably answer (unless someone has actually done it and knows whether
or not it works.)

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Spuds
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a 5000LE 80GB external USB drive from Maxtor. Does anyone know if
> it's possible to throw a 200GB drive in this enclosure? Is it a straight
> swap? Will a newer drive be too hot for this enclosure? TIA.

You need to know if the support circuits of the case will handle the
larger size.

Spuds

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 05:32:51 GMT, Mitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Spuds
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have a 5000LE 80GB external USB drive from Maxtor. Does anyone know if
>> it's possible to throw a 200GB drive in this enclosure? Is it a straight
>> swap? Will a newer drive be too hot for this enclosure? TIA.

>You need to know if the support circuits of the case will handle the
>larger size.

That's what I was wondering. Was hoping someone had gone this route before.

Spuds

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 19:45:23 -0800, "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>Spuds spewed forth:
>> I have a 5000LE 80GB external USB drive from Maxtor. Does anyone
>> know if it's possible to throw a 200GB drive in this enclosure? Is
>> it a straight swap? Will a newer drive be too hot for this
>> enclosure? TIA.

>Why? At the low cost of a new enclosure on eBay, just get a new enclosure
>and you'll have *two* nice external drives...

You're probably right, and darned if this doesn't raise another question.
External enclosures can be had with or without cooling fans. Which would you
buy? I'd prefer the lower noise level, but not at the expense of a
prematurely baked HD. Is passive cooling enough?

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Spuds spewed forth:
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 19:45:23 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>> Spuds spewed forth:
>>> I have a 5000LE 80GB external USB drive from Maxtor. Does anyone
>>> know if it's possible to throw a 200GB drive in this enclosure? Is
>>> it a straight swap? Will a newer drive be too hot for this
>>> enclosure? TIA.

>> Why? At the low cost of a new enclosure on eBay, just get a new
>> enclosure and you'll have *two* nice external drives...

> You're probably right, and darned if this doesn't raise another
> question. External enclosures can be had with or without cooling
> fans. Which would you buy? I'd prefer the lower noise level, but
> not at the expense of a prematurely baked HD. Is passive cooling
> enough?

Probably passive cooling is fine. Most HDs don't run excessively hot. If an
enclosure needs a fan, I'd expect it's for the electronics, not the drive.

Paul.Reissner@gmail.com

Been there, done it.

As long as both drives are the same (ie: Two IDE drives or Two SATA
drives, or Two SCSI drives) then it will work without any modification.

As for heat, if the enclosure is plastic, make sure you never put it in
any compartment or have anything over it. If the snclosure is aluminium
then you'll be 100% fine.

However, I agree that you should just get a new enclosure, for $30 you
can keep both external drives, or you can install the old 80 in your
PC, or the new 200.... either way, it's all generally universal.

Spuds

On 18 Dec 2005 15:10:19 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Been there, done it.
>
>As long as both drives are the same (ie: Two IDE drives or Two SATA
>drives, or Two SCSI drives) then it will work without any modification.
>
>As for heat, if the enclosure is plastic, make sure you never put it in
>any compartment or have anything over it. If the snclosure is aluminium
>then you'll be 100% fine.
>
>However, I agree that you should just get a new enclosure, for $30 you
>can keep both external drives, or you can install the old 80 in your
>PC, or the new 200.... either way, it's all generally universal.

Thanks for your insights. I think I'll be going the aluminum/fanless
enclosure route.

Spuds

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 22:26:59 -0500, Spuds <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a 5000LE 80GB external USB drive from Maxtor. Does anyone know if
>it's possible to throw a 200GB drive in this enclosure? Is it a straight
>swap? Will a newer drive be too hot for this enclosure? TIA.

As a followup for anyone thinking of doing this, the word from Maxtor:

"The drive inside your 5000LE enclosure is a normal ATA drive so it should be
fine to replace the ATA drive inside that enclosure. However, Maxtor does not
support or recommend doing this. Additionally, the enclosure for your 5000LE
uses 28-bit LBA so the largest drive it can support is 137 GB."

old jon

"Spuds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 22:26:59 -0500, Spuds <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have a 5000LE 80GB external USB drive from Maxtor. Does anyone know if
>>it's possible to throw a 200GB drive in this enclosure? Is it a straight
>>swap? Will a newer drive be too hot for this enclosure? TIA.

> As a followup for anyone thinking of doing this, the word from Maxtor:
>
> "The drive inside your 5000LE enclosure is a normal ATA drive so it should
> be
> fine to replace the ATA drive inside that enclosure. However, Maxtor does
> not
> support or recommend doing this. Additionally, the enclosure for your
> 5000LE
> uses 28-bit LBA so the largest drive it can support is 137 GB."

Hi Spuds. You could stick your new drive into your computer, as a slave.
Format it into 2 partitions of 100GB.
Then try it in your Enclosure..Of course, you didn`t say what OS you use.
tut tut.
best wishes..Oj