Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Please help with batch file

Please help with batch file

Scott

I want to create a bat file for tracert results. I want to be able to
add several sites to run a tracert on, and have it written to 1 single
text file. The way i have it so far just by guessing on how to create
a bat file is this:

tracert www.yahoo.com > ttt.txt
tracert www.google.com > google.txt
but of course that gives me the results but in 2 seperate text files.
How can I create this bat file to where I can add maybe 20 sites, and
it do the tracert and then write it to one text file? What am I doing
wrong?

IANAL_VISTA

Scott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I want to create a bat file for tracert results. I want to be able to
> add several sites to run a tracert on, and have it written to 1 single
> text file. The way i have it so far just by guessing on how to create
> a bat file is this:

Try the following:

tracert www.yahoo.com > ttt.txt
tracert www.google.com >> ttt.txt

Mike Easter

Scott wrote:
> I want to create a bat file for tracert results.

What are you trying to tracert? Not what target, but what 'intention' =
why? Many of the people who are using tracert to gain information about
a target IP address should be doing performing some operation with
different net tools in a non-tracert/ non-traceroute/ manner, such as
determining the target's ASN and upstream adjacencies.

And many of the other people who /are/ using tracert 'properly' or
appropriately should be using more powerful traceroute programs than
they are using, regarding whether the traceroute packets are icmp, udp,
tcp, or what.

tracert = icmp traceroute = udp tcptraceroute = tcp

--
Mike Easter

Scott

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 12:17:55 -0800, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Scott wrote:
>> I want to create a bat file for tracert results.

>What are you trying to tracert? Not what target, but what 'intention' =
>why? Many of the people who are using tracert to gain information about
>a target IP address should be doing performing some operation with
>different net tools in a non-tracert/ non-traceroute/ manner, such as
>determining the target's ASN and upstream adjacencies.
>
>And many of the other people who /are/ using tracert 'properly' or
>appropriately should be using more powerful traceroute programs than
>they are using, regarding whether the traceroute packets are icmp, udp,
>tcp, or what.
>
>tracert = icmp traceroute = udp tcptraceroute = tcp

I'm having internet trouble, and just basically want to send a text
file to my ISP to see if they can figure out where the problem is
coming from. Rather than have to do each tracert individually I want
to create a batch file that will test all sites that I input into the
batch file and then write it to one individual text file.

Scott

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 20:13:12 GMT, "IANAL_VISTA"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Scott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> I want to create a bat file for tracert results. I want to be able to
>> add several sites to run a tracert on, and have it written to 1 single
>> text file. The way i have it so far just by guessing on how to create
>> a bat file is this:
>>

>Try the following:
>
>tracert www.yahoo.com > ttt.txt
>tracert www.google.com >> ttt.txt

thank you...

Mike Easter

Scott wrote:
> "Mike Easter"
>> Scott wrote:

>>> I want to create a bat file for tracert results.

>> What are you trying to tracert? Not what target, but what
>> 'intention' = why?

> I'm having internet trouble, and just basically want to send a text
> file to my ISP to see if they can figure out where the problem is
> coming from.

The way my previous broadband provider would have one perform
troubleshooting of 'slow' website performance would be to first
determine whether or not the problem of slowness was somehow related to
the 'connectivity' quality. Nothing about some faraway website.

You could use a nearby target IP which answers and hit it with about
50-100 pings to see if there were any dropped packets or similar
connectivity problems.

You could also use a nearby target BigFile and download it and determine
if the download speed was appropriate. You could also use a nearby
speedtesting site to see both up and downloading.

Only if your near connectivity is healthy to the pings and BigFile speed
should one be researching the more difficult to diagnose problems with
'faraway' route-wise webaddresses. And, before you start working on the
faraway website addresses, you need to be absolutely sure that your
nameservice is not whacky. Very much of the time someone is having some
kind of problem with a site, it is due to nameservice.

When you start working on the routing information, you find it is often
very flakey to interpret because of what answers the tracert icmp
packets and what doesn't.

--
Mike Easter