Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > email addy from a web site

email addy from a web site

Lookout

A friend went to a site to look around and then got an email from them
with a 1)% off coupon. She said she didn't enter any information at
the site. She's wondering how they got her email.
Windows XP with firewall
AVG
and Outlook Express

tia

Dave the exTrailer

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 09:35:16 -0600, Lookout <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>A friend went to a site to look around and then got an email from them
>with a 1)% off coupon. She said she didn't enter any information at
>the site. She's wondering how they got her email.
>Windows XP with firewall
>AVG
>and Outlook Express
>
>tia

Cookies

Noel Paton

"Dave the exTrailer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 09:35:16 -0600, Lookout <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>A friend went to a site to look around and then got an email from them
>>with a 1)% off coupon. She said she didn't enter any information at
>>the site. She's wondering how they got her email.
>>Windows XP with firewall
>>AVG
>>and Outlook Express
>>
>>tia

> Cookies

cookies don't know email addies!
all they know is the logon name, unless the user inputs data to the site or
on the page.

what site are we talking about??

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Mike Easter

Lookout wrote:
> A friend went to a site to look around and then got an email from them
> with a 1)% off coupon. She said she didn't enter any information at
> the site. She's wondering how they got her email.
> Windows XP with firewall
> AVG
> and Outlook Express

Perhaps from a cookie from some other site which she did give her email
address, depending upon her cookie management

Perhaps she went to a site to look around which already had her email
address and had sent her a spam which had a uniqueID in the link which
she clicked to go to the site.

She shouldn't be opening her spam, much less receptively reading her
spam, much less believing her spam, much less clicking on her spam's
links. Ideally she shouldn't even be allowing spam into her Inbox but
instead having it filter ruled somewhere else.

Maybe she's an insecure spammee spam-shopping person who profits
spammers and who is a significant part of what causes so much spam for
everyone.

There's a lot we don't know here about the insecurities of her browser
and mailhandling configuration -- except that she is using a potentially
very insecure mailuser agent integrated with a very very insecure
browser rendering engine inseparable from an insecure OS. The fact that
she also happens to be using an AV and personal software 'firewall' -
which isn't exactly a firewall - won't help her much with some of those
other insecurities.

--
Mike Easter