Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Microsoft OUtlook tracking query

Microsoft OUtlook tracking query

AD

In mail option in Microsoft Outlook [Microsoft Outlook 2002
(10.6515.6735) SP3] i have selected the tracking option (delivery
receipt only).
When the recipient receives your message you should get a notification
and also on the original message in the sent folder, should be a
"Tracking Tab".
However I cannot see the tab at all.
Any advice?
Regards
AD

Noel Paton

"AD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:V5wof.74427$(E-Mail Removed) k...
> In mail option in Microsoft Outlook [Microsoft Outlook 2002 (10.6515.6735)
> SP3] i have selected the tracking option (delivery receipt only).
> When the recipient receives your message you should get a notification and
> also on the original message in the sent folder, should be a "Tracking
> Tab".
> However I cannot see the tab at all.
> Any advice?
> Regards
> AD

IIRC, the delivery tracking is only valid if you're linked to an Exchange
server, and the email is to someone on the same LAN/WAN - while read
tracking is available over the internet.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

AD

Noel Paton wrote:
> "AD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:V5wof.74427$(E-Mail Removed) k...
>> In mail option in Microsoft Outlook [Microsoft Outlook 2002 (10.6515.6735)
>> SP3] i have selected the tracking option (delivery receipt only).
>> When the recipient receives your message you should get a notification and
>> also on the original message in the sent folder, should be a "Tracking
>> Tab".
>> However I cannot see the tab at all.
>> Any advice?
>> Regards
>> AD

> IIRC, the delivery tracking is only valid if you're linked to an Exchange
> server, and the email is to someone on the same LAN/WAN - while read
> tracking is available over the internet.

Thanks.... that would be why!!!
Cheers
AD

Toolman Tim

In news:dnui12$iu5$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com,
Noel Paton spewed forth:
> "AD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:V5wof.74427$(E-Mail Removed) k...
>> In mail option in Microsoft Outlook [Microsoft Outlook 2002
>> (10.6515.6735) SP3] i have selected the tracking option (delivery
>> receipt only). When the recipient receives your message you should get a
>> notification and also on the original message in the sent folder,
>> should be a "Tracking Tab".
>> However I cannot see the tab at all.
>> Any advice?
>> Regards
>> AD

> IIRC, the delivery tracking is only valid if you're linked to an
> Exchange server, and the email is to someone on the same LAN/WAN -
> while read tracking is available over the internet.

Hi, Noel!

While we're on the subject of Exchange Servers <g>

I have a small network I administer remotely. I have any email coming in to
me there forwarded (by a rule in Outlook). That email then ends up in the
deleted items folder.

Is there any way to make Outlook automatically empty the deleted items?

(In my office we use Groupwise. I can set the deleted items folder options
to remove items that are over 7 days old. I haven't been able to figure out
how to do this in Outlook.)

Noel Paton

news:rYCof.17476$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:dnui12$iu5$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com,
> Noel Paton spewed forth:
>> "AD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:V5wof.74427$(E-Mail Removed) k...
>>> In mail option in Microsoft Outlook [Microsoft Outlook 2002
>>> (10.6515.6735) SP3] i have selected the tracking option (delivery
>>> receipt only). When the recipient receives your message you should get a
>>> notification and also on the original message in the sent folder,
>>> should be a "Tracking Tab".
>>> However I cannot see the tab at all.
>>> Any advice?
>>> Regards
>>> AD

>> IIRC, the delivery tracking is only valid if you're linked to an
>> Exchange server, and the email is to someone on the same LAN/WAN -
>> while read tracking is available over the internet.

> Hi, Noel!
>
> While we're on the subject of Exchange Servers <g>
>
> I have a small network I administer remotely. I have any email coming in
> to me there forwarded (by a rule in Outlook). That email then ends up in
> the deleted items folder.
>
> Is there any way to make Outlook automatically empty the deleted items?
>
> (In my office we use Groupwise. I can set the deleted items folder options
> to remove items that are over 7 days old. I haven't been able to figure
> out how to do this in Outlook.)

Simply change the rule to delete the forwarded email??? (dunno- never needed
to try it!)

You could try posting the question to
microsoft.public.outlook
and see what they have to say? - it *may* depend on the version of OL or
Exchange you're using.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Toolman Tim

In news:dnv9dj$hg3$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com,
Noel Paton spewed forth:
> news:rYCof.17476$(E-Mail Removed)...

<Snip>

>> I have a small network I administer remotely. I have any email
>> coming in to me there forwarded (by a rule in Outlook). That email
>> then ends up in the deleted items folder.
>>
>> Is there any way to make Outlook automatically empty the deleted
>> items? (In my office we use Groupwise. I can set the deleted items folder
>> options to remove items that are over 7 days old. I haven't been
>> able to figure out how to do this in Outlook.)
>>

> Simply change the rule to delete the forwarded email??? (dunno- never
> needed to try it!)

The rules dialog box only allow one step (move, copy, forward, or delete).
In Groupwise, when I add a step (forward), it extends the rule to allow
another step (delete) and is really cool. Much more flexible/powerful.

> You could try posting the question to
> microsoft.public.outlook
> and see what they have to say? - it *may* depend on the version of OL
> or Exchange you're using.

Thanks - I think I'll try that. My news server doesn't have that group, so
I'll have to look elsewhere...there must be a web interface for that.

I'm using Outlook 2003 that came with Windows Server 2003 SBE Premium. Since
I don't go in to that office much, I'm accessing Outlook via the web
interface. Really cool feature, by the way!

Noel Paton

news:13Gof.17692$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:dnv9dj$hg3$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com,
> Noel Paton spewed forth:
>> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:rYCof.17476$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <Snip>
>
>>> I have a small network I administer remotely. I have any email
>>> coming in to me there forwarded (by a rule in Outlook). That email
>>> then ends up in the deleted items folder.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to make Outlook automatically empty the deleted
>>> items? (In my office we use Groupwise. I can set the deleted items
>>> folder
>>> options to remove items that are over 7 days old. I haven't been
>>> able to figure out how to do this in Outlook.)
>>>

>> Simply change the rule to delete the forwarded email??? (dunno- never
>> needed to try it!)

> The rules dialog box only allow one step (move, copy, forward, or delete).
> In Groupwise, when I add a step (forward), it extends the rule to allow
> another step (delete) and is really cool. Much more flexible/powerful.
>
>> You could try posting the question to
>> microsoft.public.outlook
>> and see what they have to say? - it *may* depend on the version of OL
>> or Exchange you're using.

> Thanks - I think I'll try that. My news server doesn't have that group, so
> I'll have to look elsewhere...there must be a web interface for that.
>
> I'm using Outlook 2003 that came with Windows Server 2003 SBE Premium.
> Since I don't go in to that office much, I'm accessing Outlook via the web
> interface. Really cool feature, by the way!

You can subscribe direct to the MS news server -

news:\\msnews.microsoft.com\microsoft.public.outlo ok
(be warned - there's 54000 posts on there at present!)

(or you can use the totally abysmal CDO interface for the MS newsgroups
<ptui!> http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx - requires a
Passport login)

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Toolman Tim

In news:dnvca0$skl$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com,
Noel Paton spewed forth:
> news:13Gof.17692$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In news:dnv9dj$hg3$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com,
>> Noel Paton spewed forth:
>>> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:rYCof.17476$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> <Snip>

>>> Simply change the rule to delete the forwarded email??? (dunno-
>>> never needed to try it!)

>> The rules dialog box only allow one step (move, copy, forward, or
>> delete). In Groupwise, when I add a step (forward), it extends the
>> rule to allow another step (delete) and is really cool. Much more
>> flexible/powerful.
>>> You could try posting the question to
>>> microsoft.public.outlook
>>> and see what they have to say? - it *may* depend on the version of
>>> OL or Exchange you're using.

>> Thanks - I think I'll try that. My news server doesn't have that
>> group, so I'll have to look elsewhere...there must be a web
>> interface for that. I'm using Outlook 2003 that came with Windows Server
>> 2003 SBE
>> Premium. Since I don't go in to that office much, I'm accessing
>> Outlook via the web interface. Really cool feature, by the way!
>>

> You can subscribe direct to the MS news server -
>
> news:\\msnews.microsoft.com\microsoft.public.outlo ok
> (be warned - there's 54000 posts on there at present!)
>
> (or you can use the totally abysmal CDO interface for the MS
> newsgroups <ptui!>
> http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx - requires a
> Passport login)

Heh heh <g>! Not knowing that I could get access to their news server
directly, I did the web interface (already have a Hotmail acct, so the
Passport login was no problem.) Diane has already suggested "autoarchive"
but I haven't been able to locate any settings for that in the remote (web
access) interface. So I may need to drop in at that office. I should
anyway - I have an upgrade component for the UPS that I need to install.

Noel Paton

news:QOGof.17698$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:dnvca0$skl$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com,
> Noel Paton spewed forth:
>> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:13Gof.17692$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> In news:dnv9dj$hg3$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com,
>>> Noel Paton spewed forth:
>>>
>>> <Snip>

>>> The rules dialog box only allow one step (move, copy, forward, or
>>> delete). In Groupwise, when I add a step (forward), it extends the
>>> rule to allow another step (delete) and is really cool. Much more
>>> flexible/powerful.

FWIW, I just checked, and in my OL2003, it's possible to forward and delete
an email in one rule - don't see why you can't???

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Noel Paton

news:QOGof.17698$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:dnvca0$skl$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com,
> Noel Paton spewed forth:
>> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:13Gof.17692$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> In news:dnv9dj$hg3$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com,
>>> Noel Paton spewed forth:
>>>
>>> <Snip>

>>> The rules dialog box only allow one step (move, copy, forward, or
>>> delete). In Groupwise, when I add a step (forward), it extends the
>>> rule to allow another step (delete) and is really cool. Much more
>>> flexible/powerful.
>>>
>>> Thanks - I think I'll try that. My news server doesn't have that
>>> group, so I'll have to look elsewhere...there must be a web
>>> interface for that. I'm using Outlook 2003 that came with Windows Server
>>> 2003 SBE
>>> Premium. Since I don't go in to that office much, I'm accessing
>>> Outlook via the web interface. Really cool feature, by the way!
>>>

>> You can subscribe direct to the MS news server -
>>
>> news:\\msnews.microsoft.com\microsoft.public.outlo ok
>> (be warned - there's 54000 posts on there at present!)
>>
>> (or you can use the totally abysmal CDO interface for the MS
>> newsgroups <ptui!>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx - requires a
>> Passport login)

> Heh heh <g>! Not knowing that I could get access to their news server
> directly, I did the web interface (already have a Hotmail acct, so the
> Passport login was no problem.) Diane has already suggested "autoarchive"
> but I haven't been able to locate any settings for that in the remote (web
> access) interface. So I may need to drop in at that office. I should
> anyway - I have an upgrade component for the UPS that I need to install.

Got a link for me? - I'm kinda curious myself, now!