Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Laptop pointer question

Laptop pointer question

joewo

So I have a typical laptop with the pointer square that lets you move
the cursor around by dragging your finger around. Just to the right
of that area that I can drag my finger around is an up arrow and down
arrow (not the keys but right next to the scrolling square). What do
the arrows do or do they do anything? Can I activate and use the
small arrows or are they there to graphically represent that the
scrolling square area moves the cursor around?

Trent SC

> So I have a typical laptop with the pointer square that lets you move
> the cursor around by dragging your finger around. Just to the right
> of that area that I can drag my finger around is an up arrow and down
> arrow (not the keys but right next to the scrolling square). What do
> the arrows do or do they do anything? Can I activate and use the
> small arrows or are they there to graphically represent that the
> scrolling square area moves the cursor around?

RTFM

SgtMinor

joewo wrote:
> So I have a typical laptop with the pointer square that lets you move
> the cursor around by dragging your finger around. Just to the right
> of that area that I can drag my finger around is an up arrow and down
> arrow (not the keys but right next to the scrolling square). What do
> the arrows do or do they do anything? Can I activate and use the
> small arrows or are they there to graphically represent that the
> scrolling square area moves the cursor around?

On that particular make and model, yes.

Whiskers

On 2005-12-15, joewo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> So I have a typical laptop with the pointer square that lets you move
> the cursor around by dragging your finger around. Just to the right
> of that area that I can drag my finger around is an up arrow and down
> arrow (not the keys but right next to the scrolling square). What do
> the arrows do or do they do anything? Can I activate and use the
> small arrows or are they there to graphically represent that the
> scrolling square area moves the cursor around?

It's probably a 'Synaptics' touchpad and if you have the fully-featured
Synaptics 'driver' software you can configure all sorts of fancy things
with the different areas of the pad - one being to emulate a 'scroll
wheel' by moving your finger up and down the right-hand edge of the
sensitive area. The printed or engraved markings probably indicate that
function, but if it doesn't seem to work then you need to either install
or configure the appropriate 'drivers'.

As you seem to be using a Windows news-reader program, perhaps the Windows
'my computer' icon or whatever it's called these days would be a good
place to start, if you want to investigate further.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

joewo

Thanks Whiskers-your ideas are appreciated!! I will check out the
Synaptics site.

It always amazes me that people in a group with the name of HELPDESK
say RTFM or other associated dumb stuff like that. I did RTFM and it
didn't say anything....hence a post here. So why respond when your
total addition to the discussion is RTFM and presumably said in a
derogatory manner? When someone asks a logical question seeking help
and a nasty response is given...who is the true idiot in that
discussion?

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 23:52:02 +0000, Whiskers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2005-12-15, joewo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> So I have a typical laptop with the pointer square that lets you move
>> the cursor around by dragging your finger around. Just to the right
>> of that area that I can drag my finger around is an up arrow and down
>> arrow (not the keys but right next to the scrolling square). What do
>> the arrows do or do they do anything? Can I activate and use the
>> small arrows or are they there to graphically represent that the
>> scrolling square area moves the cursor around?

>It's probably a 'Synaptics' touchpad and if you have the fully-featured
>Synaptics 'driver' software you can configure all sorts of fancy things
>with the different areas of the pad - one being to emulate a 'scroll
>wheel' by moving your finger up and down the right-hand edge of the
>sensitive area. The printed or engraved markings probably indicate that
>function, but if it doesn't seem to work then you need to either install
>or configure the appropriate 'drivers'.
>
>As you seem to be using a Windows news-reader program, perhaps the Windows
>'my computer' icon or whatever it's called these days would be a good
>place to start, if you want to investigate further.

FML

joewo wrote:
> So I have a typical laptop with the pointer square that lets you move
> the cursor around by dragging your finger around. Just to the right
> of that area that I can drag my finger around is an up arrow and down
> arrow (not the keys but right next to the scrolling square). What do
> the arrows do or do they do anything? Can I activate and use the
> small arrows or are they there to graphically represent that the
> scrolling square area moves the cursor around?

The area to the right of the touchpad can behave like the wheel on a
mouse. Typically you have to have the touchpad drivers for your
particular machine installed to enable this feature. Go to Control Panel
and select Mouse. If the driver is installed, all the features for the
touchpad should be configurable there.

SgtMinor

joewo wrote:
> Thanks Whiskers-your ideas are appreciated!! I will check out the
> Synaptics site.
>

> It always amazes me that people in a group with the name of HELPDESK
> say RTFM or other associated dumb stuff like that. I did RTFM and it
> didn't say anything....hence a post here. So why respond when your
> total addition to the discussion is RTFM and presumably said in a
> derogatory manner? When someone asks a logical question seeking help
> and a nasty response is given...who is the true idiot in that
> discussion?

Be careful you don't fall off that high horse. Yeah, it says helpdesk
somewhere in the name, it doesn't say ****-sorting. You can't expect to
dump a load of verbal manure and think people will rush over to it and
sort it out for you.

And if you had read the FM you would have known that "the pointer square
that lets you move the cursor around by dragging your finger around" is
called a touchpad.

You come across like an ignorant selfish boor.

> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 23:52:02 +0000, Whiskers
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On 2005-12-15, joewo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> So I have a typical laptop with the pointer square that lets you move
>>> the cursor around by dragging your finger around. Just to the right
>>> of that area that I can drag my finger around is an up arrow and down
>>> arrow (not the keys but right next to the scrolling square). What do
>>> the arrows do or do they do anything? Can I activate and use the
>>> small arrows or are they there to graphically represent that the
>>> scrolling square area moves the cursor around?

>>It's probably a 'Synaptics' touchpad and if you have the fully-featured
>>Synaptics 'driver' software you can configure all sorts of fancy things
>>with the different areas of the pad - one being to emulate a 'scroll
>>wheel' by moving your finger up and down the right-hand edge of the
>>sensitive area. The printed or engraved markings probably indicate that
>>function, but if it doesn't seem to work then you need to either install
>>or configure the appropriate 'drivers'.
>>
>>As you seem to be using a Windows news-reader program, perhaps the Windows
>>'my computer' icon or whatever it's called these days would be a good
>>place to start, if you want to investigate further.

joewo

FML- Thanks for your help as well...you and Whiskers gave some good
ideas. It is much easier to just give a quality answer like that as
opposed to hot air. Just as many keystrokes ironically!!

I realize it was a stoopid question but sometimes easy ones are just
elusive like that!! Next time I will ask for a VLSM of a Class E
subnet.

I will play with the Control Panel mouse settings as suggested.

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 18:39:34 -0600, FML <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>joewo wrote:
>> So I have a typical laptop with the pointer square that lets you move
>> the cursor around by dragging your finger around. Just to the right
>> of that area that I can drag my finger around is an up arrow and down
>> arrow (not the keys but right next to the scrolling square). What do
>> the arrows do or do they do anything? Can I activate and use the
>> small arrows or are they there to graphically represent that the
>> scrolling square area moves the cursor around?

>The area to the right of the touchpad can behave like the wheel on a
>mouse. Typically you have to have the touchpad drivers for your
>particular machine installed to enable this feature. Go to Control Panel
>and select Mouse. If the driver is installed, all the features for the
>touchpad should be configurable there.

why?

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:37:29 -0800, joewo wrote:

>FML- Thanks for your help as well...you and Whiskers gave some good
>ideas. It is much easier to just give a quality answer like that as

There is nothing typical about laptops, they are usually the worst
custom stuff around, more so for those where the make / model isn't
mentioned.

>opposed to hot air. Just as many keystrokes ironically!!
>
>I realize it was a stoopid question but sometimes easy ones are just
>elusive like that!! Next time I will ask for a VLSM of a Class E
>subnet.

Although you most likely know Class E is experimental and not to be
used.

Don't bother, instead STFW
http://www.google.com/search?q=VLSM+of+a+Class+E+subnet
Results 1 - 10 of about 14,500 English pages for
VLSM of a Class E subnet
.. (0.19 seconds)

Which finds some VLSM tutorials.

>I will play with the Control Panel mouse settings as suggested.
>

>On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 18:39:34 -0600, FML <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>joewo wrote:
>>> So I have a typical laptop with the pointer square that lets you move
>>> the cursor around by dragging your finger around. Just to the right

<snip>

Me