Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mobo & CPU fan problem

Mobo & CPU fan problem

BIGEYE

Work colleague has a problem with his mobo. The CPU cooling fan sits on two
plastic mountings and is secured by two spring clips that fit along the
sides of the heatsink.
One of the plastic mountings has broken, as a result the fan is now
unsecured, and the CPU is overheating.
The CPU ZIF socket has clips on it to suit cooling fans with one spring clip
down the centre of the heatsink.
Can anyone advise where I can get replacement plastic mountings, or a
suitable alternative cooling fan with the spring clip down the centre of the
heatsink. Prefer to get from Aria or ebuyer.
CPU - P4 1800 MHz
Mobo - Elitegroup ( ECS) P4X266-8233
Chipset VIA P4X266/A

Sorry, no details on existing cooling fan.

TIA

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

BIGEYE wrote:
> Work colleague has a problem with his mobo. The CPU cooling fan sits on two
> plastic mountings and is secured by two spring clips that fit along the
> sides of the heatsink.
> One of the plastic mountings has broken, as a result the fan is now
> unsecured, and the CPU is overheating.
> The CPU ZIF socket has clips on it to suit cooling fans with one spring clip
> down the centre of the heatsink.
> Can anyone advise where I can get replacement plastic mountings, or a
> suitable alternative cooling fan with the spring clip down the centre of the
> heatsink. Prefer to get from Aria or ebuyer.
> CPU - P4 1800 MHz
> Mobo - Elitegroup ( ECS) P4X266-8233
> Chipset VIA P4X266/A

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but sounds like the motherboard's
mounting is broken. To fix it, you replace the motherboard (or place a
twenty pound weight on the fan). No big deal, ECS motherboards are
cheap. Note that I'm not belittling them, they're just not expensive.
You could easily spend more trying to fix the problem than replacing the
mobo.

Oldus Fartus

BIGEYE wrote:
> Work colleague has a problem with his mobo. The CPU cooling fan sits on two
> plastic mountings and is secured by two spring clips that fit along the
> sides of the heatsink.
> One of the plastic mountings has broken, as a result the fan is now
> unsecured, and the CPU is overheating.
> The CPU ZIF socket has clips on it to suit cooling fans with one spring clip
> down the centre of the heatsink.
> Can anyone advise where I can get replacement plastic mountings, or a
> suitable alternative cooling fan with the spring clip down the centre of the
> heatsink. Prefer to get from Aria or ebuyer.
> CPU - P4 1800 MHz
> Mobo - Elitegroup ( ECS) P4X266-8233
> Chipset VIA P4X266/A
>
> Sorry, no details on existing cooling fan.
>
> TIA

The normal retention bracket and heatsink/fan assembly are as shown on
http://developer.intel.com/design/pe...s/29859001.pdf

You should be able to replace either the heatsink/fan assembly or the
retention bracket fairly easily.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

J-McC

Just goes to show how Fantastic Plastic can be. I suspect it used so
nothing will last the sands of time.
In seriousness though you should be able to get a replacement fan
assembly. Just ask at any reasonable computer supplier.
J Mcc
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 05:23:36 -0000, "BIGEYE" <address@is[invalid].ok>
wrote:

>Work colleague has a problem with his mobo. The CPU cooling fan sits on two
>plastic mountings and is secured by two spring clips that fit along the
>sides of the heatsink.
>One of the plastic mountings has broken, as a result the fan is now
>unsecured, and the CPU is overheating.
>The CPU ZIF socket has clips on it to suit cooling fans with one spring clip
>down the centre of the heatsink.
>Can anyone advise where I can get replacement plastic mountings, or a
>suitable alternative cooling fan with the spring clip down the centre of the
>heatsink. Prefer to get from Aria or ebuyer.
>CPU - P4 1800 MHz
>Mobo - Elitegroup ( ECS) P4X266-8233
>Chipset VIA P4X266/A
>
>Sorry, no details on existing cooling fan.
>
>TIA

Book End

"J-McC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just goes to show how Fantastic Plastic can be. I suspect it used so
> nothing will last the sands of time.
> In seriousness though you should be able to get a replacement fan
> assembly. Just ask at any reasonable computer supplier.
> J Mcc
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 05:23:36 -0000, "BIGEYE" <address@is[invalid].ok>
> wrote:
>
>>Work colleague has a problem with his mobo. The CPU cooling fan sits on
>>two
>>plastic mountings and is secured by two spring clips that fit along the
>>sides of the heatsink.
>>One of the plastic mountings has broken, as a result the fan is now
>>unsecured, and the CPU is overheating.
>>The CPU ZIF socket has clips on it to suit cooling fans with one spring
>>clip
>>down the centre of the heatsink.
>>Can anyone advise where I can get replacement plastic mountings, or a
>>suitable alternative cooling fan with the spring clip down the centre of
>>the
>>heatsink. Prefer to get from Aria or ebuyer.
>>CPU - P4 1800 MHz
>>Mobo - Elitegroup ( ECS) P4X266-8233
>>Chipset VIA P4X266/A
>>
>>Sorry, no details on existing cooling fan.
>>
>>TIA

Don't knock the plastic. It'll still be there long after the metal around it
has rusted away to nothing.

Meercat

had a similar prob years ago i just drilled 2 small holes in the MB (if
theres room) & used a plastic ratchet tie worked for me.

Meercat
"Book End" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43a1491c$0$30065$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> "J-McC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Just goes to show how Fantastic Plastic can be. I suspect it used so
>> nothing will last the sands of time.
>> In seriousness though you should be able to get a replacement fan
>> assembly. Just ask at any reasonable computer supplier.
>> J Mcc
>> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 05:23:36 -0000, "BIGEYE" <address@is[invalid].ok>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Work colleague has a problem with his mobo. The CPU cooling fan sits on
>>>two
>>>plastic mountings and is secured by two spring clips that fit along the
>>>sides of the heatsink.
>>>One of the plastic mountings has broken, as a result the fan is now
>>>unsecured, and the CPU is overheating.
>>>The CPU ZIF socket has clips on it to suit cooling fans with one spring
>>>clip
>>>down the centre of the heatsink.
>>>Can anyone advise where I can get replacement plastic mountings, or a
>>>suitable alternative cooling fan with the spring clip down the centre of
>>>the
>>>heatsink. Prefer to get from Aria or ebuyer.
>>>CPU - P4 1800 MHz
>>>Mobo - Elitegroup ( ECS) P4X266-8233
>>>Chipset VIA P4X266/A
>>>
>>>Sorry, no details on existing cooling fan.
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>

> Don't knock the plastic. It'll still be there long after the metal around
> it has rusted away to nothing.

Brian Day

"Meercat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%udof.56272$(E-Mail Removed) k...
> had a similar prob years ago i just drilled 2 small holes in the MB (if
> theres room) & used a plastic ratchet tie worked for me.

I have previously made up custom brackets, and drilled thru the mobo. fixing
with
m4 bolts & nuts. Just be careful where you drill if you follow this route.

Brian Day