Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > COM+ Errors fix

COM+ Errors fix

B.I.

Where is MS is there information for fixes to errors repeatedly shown in
the event log?

Cub

"B.I." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dnq8bm$a3c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Where is MS is there information for fixes to errors repeatedly shown in
> the event log?

LOL

B.I.

"Cub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43a0aa55$0$82660$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "B.I." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dnq8bm$a3c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Where is MS is there information for fixes to errors repeatedly shown
>> in the event log?
>>

> LOL

Lots of LUCK????

Rob Burghdoff

"B.I." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dnq8bm$a3c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Where is MS is there information for fixes to errors repeatedly shown in
> the event log?

search google.com ??
maybe http://support.microsoft.com

--
Rob
techhowto.org

B.I.

"Rob Burghdoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "B.I." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dnq8bm$a3c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Where is MS is there information for fixes to errors repeatedly shown
>> in the event log?
>>

> search google.com ??
> maybe http://support.microsoft.com
>
> --
> Rob
> techhowto.org
>Been Googling like mad, Rob, as have many others. In the words of the
>old song, there seem to be"more questions than answers". Thank you
>for the link, I will try it.

why?

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:59:05 -0000, B.I. wrote:

>"Rob Burghdoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "B.I." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:dnq8bm$a3c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Where is MS is there information for fixes to errors repeatedly shown
>>> in the event log?
>>>

>> search google.com ??
>> maybe http://support.microsoft.com
>>
>> --
>> Rob
>> techhowto.org
>>Been Googling like mad, Rob, as have many others. In the words of the
>>old song, there seem to be"more questions than answers". Thank you
>>for the link, I will try it.

You could always post the event log ID , event source info as an
example.

Generally, to start off with,

www.google.com

event id < the number without the <> > COM+

Even a broad guess

Results 1 - 10 of about 97,400 English pages for
event id com+
.. (0.41 seconds)

is less than 100,000 pages.

Adding a number from that search is down to 357 pages

Results 1 - 10 of about 357 English pages for
event id 4609 com+
.. (0.26 seconds)

MS advanced search

Me

B.I.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:59:05 -0000, B.I. wrote:
>

>>"Rob Burghdoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "B.I." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:dnq8bm$a3c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>

>>> search google.com ??
>>> maybe http://support.microsoft.com
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rob
>>> techhowto.org
>>>Been Googling like mad, Rob, as have many others. In the words of the
>>>old song, there seem to be"more questions than answers". Thank you
>>>for the link, I will try it.

> You could always post the event log ID , event source info as an
> example.

OK, but I thought MS had created a fix for these errors. Maybe I dreamt
it.

What I am seeing on boot up are these,
( several times in the space of 40 seconds

15.12.2005 Source Category Event
In Applications Error COM+ (9 4822
Error COM+ Unknown
4689
Error VSS None
8193

There are also various warning entries e,g Event (105) 4444 Event
(113) 4455

Details
> ID 8193 Source VSS Versions 5.2 Symbolic name
> VSS_ERROR_UNEXPENCTED_CALLING_ROUTINE_
>
> In the comments on this is included:-"This informational event is
> logged when
> the system starts in safe mode on a computer running Windows XP
> because COM+
> is not enabled in Safe Mode, or, occasionally when Anti-Virus and
> indexing
> programmes open temporary files used by back-up programmes during back
> up.

"This message also appears if there is a problem in the COM+
infra-structure such as when COM+ Services are disabled or not
registered correctly, or when a program such as FORMAT CHK DSK or
Logical Disk Management opens a volume with an exclusive lock and the
Volume copy Shadow Service cannot create a shadow copy.

User action:-
If a problem opened a volume with an exclusive lock wait until the
program finishes running and then try again.

To see whether there is a problem with the COM+ infrastructure do one
or all of the following:

In MMC in the services snap-in verify that COM+ Services are enabled.
If they are not, set Event System (Com+ Event System) and SENS
(System Event Notifications) to autostart instead of to disabled.

*MMC in services snap???? *(Looks good , but why autostart and not
startup?)*

Verify that the COM+ infrastucture is registered correctly. For more
information about registering the COM+ infrastructure see Article
246499 in Microsoft Knowledge Base."

And I have also found this:-

COM problems on the server can cause installation failures. You may
receive an error message in the Exchange Server Setup Progress Log.txt
file that states that registration failed for the Cdoevt.dll file.

*Does that imply a problem with functioning of the CD fitment?"

Check the following to ensure that there are no COM problems:
. Make sure that the COM+ Event system and Microsoft Distributed
Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC) services are running.
. Check the System event log for any errors related to these
services.
Verify that COM is working by enumerating any COM packages on your
server. To do so:

1. Under Administrative Tools, click Component Services.
2. Expand Component Services, expand Computers, expand

My Computer, and then expand COM+ Applications.

*(Did not manage to do this at all - could not see what I wanted)*

You should receive no errors. If you do find a problem, follow the
steps in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to reset the COM
service:
246499 PRB: COM+ Setup Problems While Upgrading to Windows 2000 .

*I note the reference to upgrading to Windows 2000.*
"I am using Windows XP with SP2*

> Generally, to start off with,
>
> www.google.com
>
> event id < the number without the <> > COM+
>
> Even a broad guess
>
> Results 1 - 10 of about 97,400 English pages for
> event id com+
> . (0.41 seconds)
>
> is less than 100,000 pages.
>

> Adding a number from that search is down to 357 pages
>
> Results 1 - 10 of about 357 English pages for
> event id 4609 com+
> . (0.26 seconds)
>

> MS advanced search
>
> Me

why?

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 07:59:49 -0000, B.I. wrote:

>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:59:05 -0000, B.I. wrote:
>>

>>>"Rob Burghdoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> You could always post the event log ID , event source info as an
>> example.
>>

>OK, but I thought MS had created a fix for these errors. Maybe I dreamt
>it.
>
>What I am seeing on boot up are these,
>( several times in the space of 40 seconds
>
>15.12.2005 Source Category Event
>In Applications Error COM+ (9 4822
> Error COM+ Unknown
>4689
> Error VSS None
>8193

Wow that's 1 serious messed up system

COM+ is in so many bits of the system.

It may be IIS, VSS, Visual Studio, DTC, .NET , lots of things. Just too
many to make it a hard slog via newsgroups posts. Only you know what's
on your PC, what's changed, can search for files.

>There are also various warning entries e,g Event (105) 4444 Event
>(113) 4455
>

>Details
>> ID 8193 Source VSS Versions 5.2 Symbolic name
>> VSS_ERROR_UNEXPENCTED_CALLING_ROUTINE_

<long story snipped>

>And I have also found this:-
>
>COM problems on the server can cause installation failures. You may
>receive an error message in the Exchange Server Setup Progress Log.txt
>file that states that registration failed for the Cdoevt.dll file.
>
>*Does that imply a problem with functioning of the CD fitment?"

?? CD fitment?

Guess you are referring to "cdoevt", in the article (you didn't give any
links) about MS Exchange,
which you won't have on XP SP2, Exchange is a server product.

You do have exchange installed? You tried to install it
If not look at what other apps / recent system changes there are.

<snip bits of copied article>

>server. To do so:
>
> 1. Under Administrative Tools, click Component Services.
> 2. Expand Component Services, expand Computers, expand
>
> My Computer, and then expand COM+ Applications.
>

> *(Did not manage to do this at all - could not see what I wanted)*

Which was what?

> You should receive no errors. If you do find a problem, follow the
>steps in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to reset the COM
>service:
> 246499 PRB: COM+ Setup Problems While Upgrading to Windows 2000 .
>

>*I note the reference to upgrading to Windows 2000.*

Sometimes there are links to other version of the articles, if not
search for similar keywords adding

windows xp sp2

>"I am using Windows XP with SP2*

Then you did see
Availability of Windows XP COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package 12

Sounds like a backup test the backup worked, backup then test the 2nd ,
, install to a new clean disk, copy files from old disk.

You may get away with doing and testing just 2 backups and reinstalling
XP SP2 on top of itself. Could be risky.

Do more searching, reading

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=758414

http://www.google.com/search?q=com%2B+event+4689

http://www.google.com/search?&q=com%2B+event+4444

http://www.google.com/search?q=xp+sp2+event+8193

>> Generally, to start off with,
>>
>> www.google.com
>>
>> event id < the number without the <> > COM+
>>
>> Even a broad guess

<snip>

Me

Trax

"B.I." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Where is MS is there information for fixes to errors repeatedly shown in
|>the event log?

At
http://jasmel90.com/TechNotes/QCS_Take_Home/NTRESKIT/
you can download NTMSGS.CNT and NTMSGS.HLP

While these are very dated, you can still get some info about errors
that appear in the event viewer under XP

B.I.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

> windows xp sp2
>
>>"I am using Windows XP with SP2*

> Then you did see
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;910720
> Availability of Windows XP COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package 12
>

> Sounds like a backup test the backup worked, backup then test the 2nd
> ,
> , install to a new clean disk, copy files from old disk.
>
> You may get away with doing and testing just 2 backups and
> reinstalling
> XP SP2 on top of itself. Could be risky.
>
> Do more searching, reading
>
> http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=758414
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=com%2B+event+4689
>
> http://www.google.com/search?&q=com%2B+event+4444
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=xp+sp2+event+8193
>

>>> Generally, to start off with,
>>>
>>> www.google.com
>>>
>>> event id < the number without the <> > COM+

Thanks for that - I will. Someone suggested I want a programmer to
sort it. Certainly could do with someone who understands the jargon and
would know what the default settings are.

Perhaps the manufacturers' suggestion of a re-install of Windows is the
only solution.