Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dell Latitude D610 w/ Docking station - USB keyboard problem

Dell Latitude D610 w/ Docking station - USB keyboard problem

jstewmon@gmail.com

I have a unique problem that Dell Gold support has not been able to
resolve.

I'm running XP SP2 on a Latitude D610. I use a docking station (not
sure of the exact model) at work for all my peripherals.

I have a usb keyboard (sk-8135) and mouse plugged into the docking
station, and both work normally most* of the time. Randomly throughout
the day, however, my keyboard will temporarily (usually less that 5
seconds) stop working or a key will repeat................. (those dots
are an example - it JUST happened).

Whenever the keyboard becomes non-reponsive, the computer always plays
the sound associated with unplugging a usb device shortly followed by
the sound of a device being plugged in.

When the character repeat happens, there may or may not be a concurrent
event associated with the problem.

All my connections seem to be clean and tight. I've tried switching
the mouse and the keyboard ports and the problem persists in exactly
the same manner, so I don't think it's a port issue.

My device manager incidates up-to-date drivers for all devices.

Occassionally, my laptop will play the sound (disconnect, connect) even
when undocked with no peripherals attached!

Any ideas or proposed solutions are greatly appreciated.

Jimmy Dean

On 14 Dec 2005 12:14:39 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have a unique problem that Dell Gold support has not been able to
>resolve.
>
>I'm running XP SP2 on a Latitude D610. I use a docking station (not
>sure of the exact model) at work for all my peripherals.
>
>I have a usb keyboard (sk-8135) and mouse plugged into the docking
>station, and both work normally most* of the time. Randomly throughout
>the day, however, my keyboard will temporarily (usually less that 5
>seconds) stop working or a key will repeat................. (those dots
>are an example - it JUST happened).
>
>Whenever the keyboard becomes non-reponsive, the computer always plays
>the sound associated with unplugging a usb device shortly followed by
>the sound of a device being plugged in.
>
>When the character repeat happens, there may or may not be a concurrent
>event associated with the problem.
>
>All my connections seem to be clean and tight. I've tried switching
>the mouse and the keyboard ports and the problem persists in exactly
>the same manner, so I don't think it's a port issue.
>
>My device manager incidates up-to-date drivers for all devices.
>
>Occassionally, my laptop will play the sound (disconnect, connect) even
>when undocked with no peripherals attached!
>
>Any ideas or proposed solutions are greatly appreciated.

Could be a hardware problem

Tried another keyboard?

jd

Plato

Same thing happens when you tried a non-usb mouse/keyboard?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Jimmy Dean spewed forth:
> On 14 Dec 2005 12:14:39 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I have a unique problem that Dell Gold support has not been able to
>> resolve.
>>
>> I'm running XP SP2 on a Latitude D610. I use a docking station (not
>> sure of the exact model) at work for all my peripherals.
>>
>> I have a usb keyboard (sk-8135) and mouse plugged into the docking
>> station, and both work normally most* of the time. Randomly
>> throughout the day, however, my keyboard will temporarily (usually
>> less that 5 seconds) stop working or a key will
>> repeat................. (those dots are an example - it JUST
>> happened).
>>
>> Whenever the keyboard becomes non-reponsive, the computer always
>> plays the sound associated with unplugging a usb device shortly
>> followed by the sound of a device being plugged in.
>>
>> When the character repeat happens, there may or may not be a
>> concurrent event associated with the problem.
>>
>> All my connections seem to be clean and tight. I've tried switching
>> the mouse and the keyboard ports and the problem persists in exactly
>> the same manner, so I don't think it's a port issue.
>>
>> My device manager incidates up-to-date drivers for all devices.
>>
>> Occassionally, my laptop will play the sound (disconnect, connect)
>> even when undocked with no peripherals attached!
>>
>> Any ideas or proposed solutions are greatly appreciated.

> Could be a hardware problem
>
> Tried another keyboard?

My first thought too <g?! In fact, I'd suggest a PS2 keyboard if the port
replicator has a connection for one.

--
We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

jstewmon@gmail.com

This is the second keyboard i've tried (same usb dell model)... I'm not
sure if i can get a ps2 keyboard from the hardware department, but
maybe i can at least get an adapter to try - i've got ps2 ports on my
docking station.

jstewmon@gmail.com

Thanks for the responses so far... More suggestions are still welcome,
and I'll post the solution when i find it!

jstewmon@gmail.com

Well... The problem was resolved by getting a new laptop - apparently
there was some problem with the hardware on the laptop that was causing
a connection problem with the docking station.