Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DIY Laptop/Notebook?

DIY Laptop/Notebook?

Champagne Charlie

I know that I've always been able to save a small fortune when building my
own PCs rather than buying store-bought, branded ones, but I wondered if
there is any way of actually building my own laptop/notebook.
Anyone know if there are any sites where I could get parts to do this?
Just curious.
TIA.
C.C.

Toolman Tim

In news:1E1nf.35877$(E-Mail Removed). uk,
Champagne Charlie spewed forth:
> I know that I've always been able to save a small fortune when
> building my own PCs rather than buying store-bought, branded ones,
> but I wondered if there is any way of actually building my own
> laptop/notebook. Anyone know if there are any sites where I could get
> parts to do this?
> Just curious.
> TIA.
> C.C.

Har har har...

How's your engineering and manufacturing skills? You're not going to find
any "off the shelf" laptop mainboards, cases, displays etc. Each component
developed for a laptop is designed to integrate with the other components
for that unit (or 'family' unit). Even getting an older unit off eBay isn't
practical, since significant upgrades are not available.

Your best bet is to go to IBM, Compaq, HP, Dell, etc., and find the custom
configuration utilities.

--
We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

Bob Jones

Champagne Charlie wrote:
> I know that I've always been able to save a small fortune when building my
> own PCs rather than buying store-bought, branded ones, but I wondered if
> there is any way of actually building my own laptop/notebook.
> Anyone know if there are any sites where I could get parts to do this?
> Just curious.
> TIA.
> C.C.

Ebuyer do aopen barebones laptops-

Mitch

In article <1E1nf.35877$(E-Mail Removed) >, Champagne
Charlie <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> I know that I've always been able to save a small fortune when building my
> own PCs rather than buying store-bought, branded ones, but I wondered if
> there is any way of actually building my own laptop/notebook.
> Anyone know if there are any sites where I could get parts to do this?

You're way off base -- and being more than a little insulting to the
engineers of laptops.
Laptops are a great example of people working hard to take advantage of
space. In most laptop models, there are few standardized parts. In
fact, the RAM cards and hard drive may be the only things with a common
size.

Everything else is not just sized specifically for laptops, but often
for each specific laptop series or model. Small enough is one thing --
making them all fit together with many other parts is a whole new game.
Then there are issue of heat dissipation, electrical fields, soft parts
like cables, and planning for easy access and removal of components.
The puzzle is quite a bit more complex than just connecting parts
together; it is also about keeping the corner of one card away from the
sides of two others, or making sure the piece is lower in the case so
it can be removed from underneath.

I have seen a laptop that was essentially a very very customizable set
of components (for vertical customers), but it wouldn't be anything
like as compact as modern laptops.

Morgi3

Hi C.C,

I think the other guys have answered the first part of your question.
Are you in the UK? If so there are alternatives to the big brands
which can save a penny or two and not necessarily sacrifice quality.
I'm quite a fan of Novatech.co.uk, check their notebook ranges at...
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/nbranges.html

Good luck,

Steve

EricP

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:21:49 GMT, "Champagne Charlie"
<FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>I know that I've always been able to save a small fortune when building my
>own PCs rather than buying store-bought, branded ones, but I wondered if
>there is any way of actually building my own laptop/notebook.
>Anyone know if there are any sites where I could get parts to do this?
>Just curious.
>TIA.
>C.C.

Only way you can do a laptop is to buy busted ones for bits and try to
assemble one, using new bits where you can.

Whiskers

On 2005-12-11, Champagne Charlie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I know that I've always been able to save a small fortune when building my
> own PCs rather than buying store-bought, branded ones, but I wondered if
> there is any way of actually building my own laptop/notebook.
> Anyone know if there are any sites where I could get parts to do this?
> Just curious.
> TIA.
> C.C.

If you are prepared to manage without the book-form or clamshell one-piece
cases we've come to call 'laptops' or 'notebooks', and just want something
compact, low-power-consumption, and easily portable, you could build a
'small form factor' PC. It probably won't have its own built-in
batteries, and the screen, keyboard, and pointing device, would be
seperate bits not all in one case, but for many purposes that could be a
positive advantage. There are several 'SFF' cases on the market, and
suitable motherboards with built-in audio, video, and ethernet, that can
take standard RAM cards and PCI cards. Some people prefer to put their PC
innards inside improbable containers, such as defunct radio sets or
motor-cycle crash helmets or footballs or ...

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Todd H.

"Champagne Charlie" <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> writes:
> I know that I've always been able to save a small fortune when building my
> own PCs rather than buying store-bought, branded ones, but I wondered if
> there is any way of actually building my own laptop/notebook.
> Anyone know if there are any sites where I could get parts to do this?
> Just curious.
> TIA.
> C.C.

Computer Power User magazine did a cover story "Build Your Own
Notebook PC" in Sept 05. Back issues are sold out, but your local
library may have it.

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/

You may be able to buy the article online. CPU is a great magazine
especially if you find the mainstream mags a bit dumbed down.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Champagne Charlie

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you are prepared to manage without the book-form or clamshell one-piece
> cases we've come to call 'laptops' or 'notebooks', and just want something
> compact, low-power-consumption, and easily portable, you could build a
> 'small form factor' PC. It probably won't have its own built-in
> batteries, and the screen, keyboard, and pointing device, would be
> seperate bits not all in one case, but for many purposes that could be a
> positive advantage. There are several 'SFF' cases on the market, and
> suitable motherboards with built-in audio, video, and ethernet, that can
> take standard RAM cards and PCI cards. Some people prefer to put their PC
> innards inside improbable containers, such as defunct radio sets or
> motor-cycle crash helmets or footballs or ...
>
> --
> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
> -- Whiskers
> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

That's a great idea as space was the reason for my wondering about this
option.
I am looking into things, so thanks for your suggestions.
C.C.

Champagne Charlie

"Todd H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Computer Power User magazine did a cover story "Build Your Own
> Notebook PC" in Sept 05. Back issues are sold out, but your local
> library may have it.
>
> http://www.computerpoweruser.com/
>
> You may be able to buy the article online. CPU is a great magazine
> especially if you find the mainstream mags a bit dumbed down.
>
> Best Regards,
> --
> Todd H.
> http://www.toddh.net/

I will get hold of this article asap as it sounds like it could prove to be
very interesting.
Thanks for the advice.
C.C.

DIY Tiny URL? David Segall HTML 9 12-30-2005 08:07 PM
Re Re DIY john Computer Support 0 06-18-2005 07:12 PM
DIY (UK) Newsgroup? john Computer Support 3 06-17-2005 07:24 PM
DIY Computer with DFI MOBO NDFan70 Computer Support 5 07-22-2004 09:05 PM
DIY-B&Q etc (in UK) anOLDun Computer Support 8 12-02-2003 06:39 AM

Advertisments