Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Outlook rules from 2002 to 2003 problem

Outlook rules from 2002 to 2003 problem

Om_Audio

Ok- 2002 has .pst file that we imported to 2003- and we exported rules from
2002 as well (we have LOTS of folders/subfolders/rules)

When we import the rules they all get disabled and all the "move to
specified" folder get reset to Inbox. it's like 2003 can't find the
destination folders even though they are there.

Any help with this issue would be GREAT- re-creating the hundreds of rules
will be a bummer.

Om

"Om_Audio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Ok- 2002 has .pst file that we imported to 2003- and we exported rules
> from 2002 as well (we have LOTS of folders/subfolders/rules)
>
> When we import the rules they all get disabled and all the "move to
> specified" folder get reset to Inbox. it's like 2003 can't find the
> destination folders even though they are there.
>
> Any help with this issue would be GREAT- re-creating the hundreds of rules
> will be a bummer.

Why would you recreate all the rules (which sounds like you have way too
many and haven't bothered to use the stop-clause and use Boolean logic to
combine them) when all you have to do is update them to point to the correct
folder? I would think editing those rules that are disabled because they
don't the destination folder would be easier than having to rewrite them
from scratch. But maybe now would be a good time to figure out how to
combine and reduce your rule count.

I doubt Outlook uses the name of the folder. How would it know which folder
to use if then have the same name? Yes, different folders can have the same
name. It has pointers to the folders so if you rename or move them then it
still knows where it is in your current message store. When you imported
the rules, all those pointers are meaningless (except maybe for the default
and fixed set of minimum folders).

There are newsgroups just for Outlook.