Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Laptop keyboard problem

Laptop keyboard problem

Dave

A friend has recently acquired a second-hand Compaq M700 laptop. Everything is
fine except for a keyboard quirk. Hitting the g and h keys results in g5 and
h6 appearing! Also, apparently with the number 5 and 6 keys. He's checked the
underneath of the keys and no dirt or anything there. Any suggestions as to
what's wrong -- hardware or software? TIA

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Dave spewed forth:
> A friend has recently acquired a second-hand Compaq M700 laptop.
> Everything is fine except for a keyboard quirk. Hitting the g and h
> keys results in g5 and h6 appearing! Also, apparently with the
> number 5 and 6 keys. He's checked the underneath of the keys and no
> dirt or anything there. Any suggestions as to what's wrong --
> hardware or software? TIA

Probably hardware. If you have PS2 port on the laptop, plug in a standard
keyboard and try that.

I've bought used keyboards for laptops on eBay. Might be a cheap fix.

--
We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

Whiskers

On 2005-12-09, Toolman Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Dave spewed forth:
>> A friend has recently acquired a second-hand Compaq M700 laptop.
>> Everything is fine except for a keyboard quirk. Hitting the g and h
>> keys results in g5 and h6 appearing! Also, apparently with the
>> number 5 and 6 keys. He's checked the underneath of the keys and no
>> dirt or anything there. Any suggestions as to what's wrong --
>> hardware or software? TIA

> Probably hardware. If you have PS2 port on the laptop, plug in a standard
> keyboard and try that.
>
> I've bought used keyboards for laptops on eBay. Might be a cheap fix.

Make sure any replacement is the right language (eg 'UK English', 'US', or
'US International', or whatever).

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Whiskers spewed forth:
> On 2005-12-09, Toolman Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>> Dave spewed forth:
>>> A friend has recently acquired a second-hand Compaq M700 laptop.
>>> Everything is fine except for a keyboard quirk. Hitting the g and h
>>> keys results in g5 and h6 appearing! Also, apparently with the
>>> number 5 and 6 keys. He's checked the underneath of the keys and no
>>> dirt or anything there. Any suggestions as to what's wrong --
>>> hardware or software? TIA

>> Probably hardware. If you have PS2 port on the laptop, plug in a
>> standard keyboard and try that.
>>
>> I've bought used keyboards for laptops on eBay. Might be a cheap fix.

> Make sure any replacement is the right language (eg 'UK English',
> 'US', or 'US International', or whatever).

heh heh - good point! I remember when I switched to IBM PCs from the Tandy,
the " and @ were reversed. Took me a LONG time to get used to it.

--
We put the "K" in "Kwality"!