Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Bookmarks in alphabetical order

Bookmarks in alphabetical order

Walter

Hi Folks! When I click bookmarks in Firefox 2.0.0.1 the list of
bookmarks in some strange order seemingly decreed by Firefox. When I
go to Organize Bookmarks option they are all in alphabetical order
just as I want them and as expected with View settings :-- Sorted by
name, assending order

How to get the main bookmark dropdown window to list in alpha. order?

I'm sure that it is painfully obvious, so please put my lapse down to
advancing years.

Thanks,

Wally.

dino

Walter wrote:
> Hi Folks! When I click bookmarks in Firefox 2.0.0.1 the list of
> bookmarks in some strange order seemingly decreed by Firefox. When I
> go to Organize Bookmarks option they are all in alphabetical order
> just as I want them and as expected with View settings :-- Sorted by
> name, assending order
>
> How to get the main bookmark dropdown window to list in alpha. order?
>
> I'm sure that it is painfully obvious, so please put my lapse down to
> advancing years.

Click on Bookmarks to drop down the list.

Right click on any bookmark and select "Sort By Name" near the bottom of
the list.

Should do the trick for you.

Leonidas Jones

dino wrote:
> Walter wrote:
>> Hi Folks! When I click bookmarks in Firefox 2.0.0.1 the list of
>> bookmarks in some strange order seemingly decreed by Firefox. When I
>> go to Organize Bookmarks option they are all in alphabetical order
>> just as I want them and as expected with View settings :-- Sorted by
>> name, assending order
>>
>> How to get the main bookmark dropdown window to list in alpha. order?
>>
>> I'm sure that it is painfully obvious, so please put my lapse down to
>> advancing years.

> Click on Bookmarks to drop down the list.
>
> Right click on any bookmark and select "Sort By Name" near the bottom of
> the list.
>
> Should do the trick for you.

Odd. When I right click on a bookmark, it opens the bookmark. If I
right click on a bookmark folder, nothing happens.

The only time I get sort by name in the context menu, is in Bookmarks
Manager, and, as the OP says, it only affects the order in Bookmarks
Manager, not in the Bookmarks drop down.

Do you, by chance, have some sort of bookmarks related extension that is
adding this functionality?

Lee

dino

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> dino wrote:
>> Walter wrote:
>>> Hi Folks! When I click bookmarks in Firefox 2.0.0.1 the list of
>>> bookmarks in some strange order seemingly decreed by Firefox. When I
>>> go to Organize Bookmarks option they are all in alphabetical order
>>> just as I want them and as expected with View settings :-- Sorted by
>>> name, assending order
>>>
>>> How to get the main bookmark dropdown window to list in alpha. order?
>>>
>>> I'm sure that it is painfully obvious, so please put my lapse down to
>>> advancing years.

>> Click on Bookmarks to drop down the list.
>>
>> Right click on any bookmark and select "Sort By Name" near the bottom
>> of the list.
>>
>> Should do the trick for you.

> Odd. When I right click on a bookmark, it opens the bookmark. If I
> right click on a bookmark folder, nothing happens.
>
> The only time I get sort by name in the context menu, is in Bookmarks
> Manager, and, as the OP says, it only affects the order in Bookmarks
> Manager, not in the Bookmarks drop down.
>
> Do you, by chance, have some sort of bookmarks related extension that is
> adding this functionality?
>
> Lee

Not that I'm aware of. I've a clean instal on another machine and I can
do it there too

Leonidas Jones

dino wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> dino wrote:
>>> Walter wrote:

/snip/
>>> Click on Bookmarks to drop down the list.
>>>
>>> Right click on any bookmark and select "Sort By Name" near the bottom
>>> of the list.
>>>
>>> Should do the trick for you.

>> Odd. When I right click on a bookmark, it opens the bookmark. If I
>> right click on a bookmark folder, nothing happens.
>>
>> The only time I get sort by name in the context menu, is in Bookmarks
>> Manager, and, as the OP says, it only affects the order in Bookmarks
>> Manager, not in the Bookmarks drop down.
>>
>> Do you, by chance, have some sort of bookmarks related extension that
>> is adding this functionality?
>>
>> Lee

> Not that I'm aware of. I've a clean instal on another machine and I can
> do it there too

Okay, it would appear to be an OS dependent issue, it doesn't work on
OSX, but does on XP, so your fix should help the OP. Thanks for the
clarification.

Lee

Walter

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 10:39:30 +0000, dino <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Click on Bookmarks to drop down the list.
>
>Right click on any bookmark and select "Sort By Name" near the bottom of
>the list.
>
>Should do the trick for you.

Sure did the trick thanks. Seems I had a one track mind, expected
overall changes to be made in the "Organsie Bookmarks" window.

However as the saying goes, easy when you know how.

Much appreciated,

Wally

sandman1318 sandman1318 is offline
Junior Member

I'm having the same problem of not being able to alphabetize my bookmarks. Something must be wrong because I've used the "sort by name" feature before but it now does nothing. I've tried "right clicks" and "left clicks" and even closed all the browsers and reopened them again. But I still can't put the bookmarks in alphabetical order. Any suggestions?

Neal