Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Frame Relay -HQ-remote offices slow connection

Frame Relay -HQ-remote offices slow connection

zillah via HWKB.com

I have been given this scenario :

remote offices are connected to head quarter through WAN Frame Relay
Connection, speeds of these frame connection are either 64 kbps or 128 kbps.

users in remote site experience slow connection to their head quarter.

What steps of troubleshooting should I follow to find out the source of the
problem ? is the bandwidth 64 or 128 are enough of 20 users or more at each
site ?

I do not have router's configuration to look at it

zillah via HWKB.com

zillah wrote:
>I have been given this scenario :
>
>remote offices are connected to head quarter through WAN Frame Relay
>Connection, speeds of these frame connection are either 64 kbps or 128 kbps.
>
>users in remote site experience slow connection to their head quarter.
>
>What steps of troubleshooting should I follow to find out the source of the
>problem ? is the bandwidth 64 or 128 are enough of 20 users or more at each
>site ?
>
>I do not have router's configuration to look at it

This link for troubleshooting it would not help me
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/..._v1/tr1918.htm

zillah via HWKB.com

zillah wrote:
>>I have been given this scenario :
>>

>[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
>>
>>I do not have router's configuration to look at it

>This link for troubleshooting it would not help me
>http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/..._v1/tr1918.htm

Applications are used as oracle database

BernieM

"zillah via HWKB.com" <u31184@uwe> wrote in message
>I have been given this scenario :
>
> remote offices are connected to head quarter through WAN Frame Relay
> Connection, speeds of these frame connection are either 64 kbps or 128
> kbps.
>
> users in remote site experience slow connection to their head quarter.
>
> What steps of troubleshooting should I follow to find out the source of
> the
> problem ? is the bandwidth 64 or 128 are enough of 20 users or more at
> each
> site ?
>
> I do not have router's configuration to look at it

There's lots of areas to start looking. Define 'slowness' , confirm how
many users are affected, what applications / protocols are using the link
and what are their charastics ie. what's the maximum amount of data expected
to be transfered during a 'transaction"? how does latency affect that
transaction? what are the links characteriscs ie. latency, utilisation
during times of slowness, are there errors, queue drops etc., does the telco
see any problems?

If you tell us how you would expand on those ideas or others you have we can
give you more advice.

BernieM

zillah via HWKB.com

BernieM wrote:
>>I have been given this scenario :
>>

>[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
>>
>> I do not have router's configuration to look at it

>There's lots of areas to start looking. Define 'slowness' , confirm how
>many users are affected, what applications / protocols are using the link
>and what are their charastics ie. what's the maximum amount of data expected
>to be transfered during a 'transaction"? how does latency affect that
>transaction? what are the links characteriscs ie. latency, utilisation
>during times of slowness, are there errors, queue drops etc., does the telco
>see any problems?

Thanks, I will try to find out the answres for these questions

>If you tell us how you would expand on those ideas or others you have we can
>give you more advice.
>
>BernieM

zillah via HWKB.com

BernieM wrote:
>>I have been given this scenario :
>>

>[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
>>
>> I do not have router's configuration to look at it

>There's lots of areas to start looking. Define 'slowness' , confirm how
>many users are affected, what applications / protocols are using the link
>and what are their charastics ie. what's the maximum amount of data expected
>to be transfered during a 'transaction"? how does latency affect that
>transaction? what are the links characteriscs ie. latency, utilisation
>during times of slowness, are there errors, queue drops etc., does the telco
>see any problems?

Don't think that the link speed and number if users are problem,,,64kbps is
little bit faster than dialup,,,,can we imagine that we have got 20 users on
dialup connection, what will be your expectation ?
>If you tell us how you would expand on those ideas or others you have we can
>give you more advice.
>
>BernieM

zillah via HWKB.com

BernieM wrote:
>>I have been given this scenario :
>>

>[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
>>
>> I do not have router's configuration to look at it

>There's lots of areas to start looking. Define 'slowness' , confirm how
>many users are affected, what applications / protocols are using the link
>and what are their charastics ie. what's the maximum amount of data expected
>to be transfered during a 'transaction"? how does latency affect that
>transaction? what are the links characteriscs ie. latency, utilisation
>during times of slowness, are there errors, queue drops etc., does the telco
>see any problems?

Don't you think that the link speed and number if users are problem,,,64kbps
is little bit faster than dialup 56000,,,,can you imagine that we have got 20

> BernieM wrote:
>>>I have been given this scenario :
>>>

>>[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
>>>
>>> I do not have router's configuration to look at it

>>There's lots of areas to start looking. Define 'slowness' , confirm how
>>many users are affected, what applications / protocols are using the link
>>and what are their charastics ie. what's the maximum amount of data
>>expected
>>to be transfered during a 'transaction"? how does latency affect that
>>transaction? what are the links characteriscs ie. latency, utilisation
>>during times of slowness, are there errors, queue drops etc., does the
>>telco
>>see any problems?
>>

> Don't you think that the link speed and number if users are
> problem,,,64kbps
> is little bit faster than dialup 56000,,,,can you imagine that we have got
> 20
> users on dialup connection, what will be your expectation ?
>>If you tell us how you would expand on those ideas or others you have we
>>can
>>give you more advice.
>>
>>BernieM

Yes I tend to think that link speed and number of users is the problem and
as you've said they complain of slowness now so reducing the bandwidth even
more will of course create more problems. What else is there to expect from
such action?

While you can throw more bandwidth at the problem for a quick fix if the
business needs to get productive quickly but for long term capacity planning
we need profile the application. Is this application available across a LAN
where you can look at individual transactions and determine the volume of
data being transferred? In that environment can we adjust increase latency
and reduce bandwidth to determine the breaking point?

steve_nsi

On Mar 5, 1:40 am, "zillah via HWKB.com" <u31184@uwe> wrote:
> I have been given this scenario :
>
> remote offices are connected to head quarter through WAN Frame Relay
> Connection, speeds of these frame connection are either 64 kbps or 128 kbps.
>
> users in remote site experience slow connection to their head quarter.
>
> What steps of troubleshooting should I follow to find out the source of the
> problem ? is the bandwidth 64 or 128 are enough of 20 users or more at each
> site ?
>
> I do not have router's configuration to look at it

As a broad generalization, if you have 20 users running an application
which accesses a remote Oracle DB server (or anything else) across a
64k (or 128k) connection, it's going to be slow. I'm surprised it's
actually working at all and not simply timing out. Must either not be
very large data sets or executing everything remotely. Plus, if you
have any other network traffic going across that link it will degrade
the performance of your primary app(s) very quickly. I would start by
looking into the bandwidth requirements of your app and see what can
be done about sizing your WAN more appropriately.

zillah via HWKB.com

steve_nsi wrote:
>> I have been given this scenario :
>>

>[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
>> --

>As a broad generalization, if you have 20 users running an application
>which accesses a remote Oracle DB server (or anything else) across a
>64k (or 128k) connection, it's going to be slow. I'm surprised it's
>actually working at all and not simply timing out. Must either not be
>very large data sets or executing everything remotely. Plus, if you
>have any other network traffic going across that link it will degrade
>the performance of your primary app(s) very quickly. I would start by

Thanks for this input