Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to unprotect WMA from MusicMatch?

How to unprotect WMA from MusicMatch?

Christopher Jones

I have MusicMatch files downloaded to my PC.

However, when I send these to people to listen to, they always get the
license agreement blockage.

In the past, with other MP3 download sites, the files were always
exchangeable with others I sent these to.

But with MusicMatch (and its probably not unique to them), the files get
automatically protected.

1.) How can I unprotect my MusicMatch downloaded files to share with others?

2.) Or, is there a site where I can download tracks that will not encode the
tracks with the protection (so I can use them from now on)?

I would also like to have zipped or sender-friendly files (zipped?) in
universal MP3 format.

Thank you.

Billh

Christopher Jones wrote:
> I have MusicMatch files downloaded to my PC.
>
> However, when I send these to people to listen to, they always get the
> license agreement blockage.
>
> In the past, with other MP3 download sites, the files were always
> exchangeable with others I sent these to.
>
> But with MusicMatch (and its probably not unique to them), the files get
> automatically protected.
>
> 1.) How can I unprotect my MusicMatch downloaded files to share with others?
>
> 2.) Or, is there a site where I can download tracks that will not encode the
> tracks with the protection (so I can use them from now on)?
>
> I would also like to have zipped or sender-friendly files (zipped?) in
> universal MP3 format.
>
> Thank you.

Just heard about this program
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/M...vert_Lord.html

If there are only a few files burn them to the audio cd then rip them to
mp3.

Christopher Jones

Billh" <menot@home> wrote in message
news:4398e03e$0$28449$(E-Mail Removed) m...

> Just heard about this program
> http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/M...vert_Lord.html
>
> If there are only a few files burn them to the audio cd then rip them to
> mp3.

Thanks. I will try this and report my progress if any back here.

Mitch

In article <is2mf.45355$(E-Mail Removed)>, Christopher
Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have MusicMatch files downloaded to my PC.
>
> However, when I send these to people to listen to, they always get the
> license agreement blockage.

Of course -- YOU are the only one that can listen to them, and only as
long as you are a customer.
You're not paying $5 a month to get unlimited music to use anywhere and
give to anyone; that is the fair restriction you have agreed to.

> In the past, with other MP3 download sites, the files were always
> exchangeable with others I sent these to.

If they were MP3, I think you could do it. Didn't you say they are WMA?

> But with MusicMatch (and its probably not unique to them), the files get
> automatically protected.
>
> 1.) How can I unprotect my MusicMatch downloaded files to share with others?

You can't (legally, anyway). Again, you aren't paying for unlimited
use, sharing with anyone you wish, or even keeping them yourself. i
suspect you can't even burn a CD with them.

> 2.) Or, is there a site where I can download tracks that will not encode the
> tracks with the protection (so I can use them from now on)?

Sure; Apple's iTunes and some similar sites, where you pay for each
song or album.

> I would also like to have zipped or sender-friendly files (zipped?) in
> universal MP3 format.

That's something you can do on your end, but it won't help. The MP3
files are already compressed (that's what the MP3 part refers to.)
You could recompress them at a lower fidelity, effectively making them
considerably smaller.