Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Question in Local Area Connection in XP

Question in Local Area Connection in XP

Bay

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the network settings in XP. My office use DHCP
service to assign network configurations, so the network setting under the
local area connection is pretty easy and just check the "Assign IP address
automatically". However, if I travel to another office which do not have
DHCP service and I will have to key in the IP, subnet mask, default gateway
and DNS addresss manually every time. Is it possible for me to save these
settings, so I don't need to key in these information every time when I
travel to other office? Or is it possible to setup 2 local area connection
with 2 different settings? One for the head quarter with DHCP service and
one with the settings for the branch office? I would really help if XP could
do that, so I don't have the make changes all the time.

Thank you very much.

Billy

Tom Helms [MSFT]

Use the 'alternate configuration' tab on TCP/IP properties page on the
connection.

--
Tom Helms

newsgroup purposes only."

"Bay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question regarding the network settings in XP. My office use

DHCP
> service to assign network configurations, so the network setting under the
> local area connection is pretty easy and just check the "Assign IP address
> automatically". However, if I travel to another office which do not have
> DHCP service and I will have to key in the IP, subnet mask, default

gateway
> and DNS addresss manually every time. Is it possible for me to save these
> settings, so I don't need to key in these information every time when I
> travel to other office? Or is it possible to setup 2 local area

connection
> with 2 different settings? One for the head quarter with DHCP service and
> one with the settings for the branch office? I would really help if XP

could
> do that, so I don't have the make changes all the time.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Billy

Bay

I just checked it and I saw it. Cool! Can I do it for a couple of remote
offices? I have 3 more offices network settings that I would like to save.
Thanks

Billy

"Tom Helms [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Use the 'alternate configuration' tab on TCP/IP properties page on the
> connection.
>
> --
> Tom Helms

rights.
> "Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for
> newsgroup purposes only."
>

> "Bay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a question regarding the network settings in XP. My office use

> DHCP
> > service to assign network configurations, so the network setting under

the
> > local area connection is pretty easy and just check the "Assign IP

address
> > automatically". However, if I travel to another office which do not

have
> > DHCP service and I will have to key in the IP, subnet mask, default

> gateway
> > and DNS addresss manually every time. Is it possible for me to save

these
> > settings, so I don't need to key in these information every time when I
> > travel to other office? Or is it possible to setup 2 local area

> connection
> > with 2 different settings? One for the head quarter with DHCP service

and
> > one with the settings for the branch office? I would really help if XP

> could
> > do that, so I don't have the make changes all the time.
> >
> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > Billy

Tom Helms [MSFT]

It can only be used for 2 configurations--1 for static IP configurations and
1 for DHCP-assigned IP configurations.

--

> I just checked it and I saw it. Cool! Can I do it for a couple of remote
> offices? I have 3 more offices network settings that I would like to save.
> Thanks
>
> Billy
>
> "Tom Helms [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Use the 'alternate configuration' tab on TCP/IP properties page on the
> > connection.
> >
> > --
> > Tom Helms

> rights.
> > "Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for
> > newsgroup purposes only."
> >

> > "Bay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have a question regarding the network settings in XP. My office use

> > DHCP
> > > service to assign network configurations, so the network setting under

> the
> > > local area connection is pretty easy and just check the "Assign IP

> address
> > > automatically". However, if I travel to another office which do not

> have
> > > DHCP service and I will have to key in the IP, subnet mask, default

> > gateway
> > > and DNS addresss manually every time. Is it possible for me to save

> these
> > > settings, so I don't need to key in these information every time when

> > > travel to other office? Or is it possible to setup 2 local area

> > connection
> > > with 2 different settings? One for the head quarter with DHCP service

> and
> > > one with the settings for the branch office? I would really help if XP

> > could
> > > do that, so I don't have the make changes all the time.
> > >
> > > Thank you very much.
> > >
> > > Billy

Nigel

Hello

I am an expert on this issue and I spent some time looking
into how best to resolve this issue of many locations for
a machine, Ie some body walking about many sites "laptop".

You can create a snap shot with a command line tool and
implement a shortcut icon on your desktop to swtich
between two or many locations, just click your shortcut
and it dumps the snap shot of your network configuration
into the presently working network config.

Go do a search on the cmd tool and figure the workings of
it out, I done it on my last laptop..

The only problem with answer mentioned above is that it
takes some time to implement the alternative config, my
answer is better.

Cheers

confers no rights.