Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > USB hubs

USB hubs

kajeel

I am considering using a USB hub. Is there any loss of performance in items
like printers and scanners when connected via a hub and is it necessary to
use a self powered one, or is one that draws its power from the PC adequate
for this purpose. I am planning on running an inkjet printer, scanner and
small (monochrome) laser printer. The PC is a P4 but unfortunately only USB
1.1 at this time.

Regards

Whiskers

On 2005-12-08, kajeel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am considering using a USB hub. Is there any loss of performance in items
> like printers and scanners when connected via a hub and is it necessary to
> use a self powered one, or is one that draws its power from the PC adequate
> for this purpose. I am planning on running an inkjet printer, scanner and
> small (monochrome) laser printer. The PC is a P4 but unfortunately only USB
> 1.1 at this time.
>
> Regards

There shouldn't be any loss in performance connecting via a hub instead of
directly to the socket on the PC, but your computer may get bogged down if
you try to run too many things at once.

If all the things you want to connect, have their own seperate
power-supplies, then I think a non-powered hub would be OK; if any of them
gets its power via the USB connection then a powered hub would be a good
idea.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Tony

"kajeel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lNXlf.14617$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am considering using a USB hub. Is there any loss of performance in items
> like printers and scanners when connected via a hub and is it necessary to
> use a self powered one, or is one that draws its power from the PC
> adequate
> for this purpose. I am planning on running an inkjet printer, scanner and
> small (monochrome) laser printer. The PC is a P4 but unfortunately only
> USB
> 1.1 at this time.
>
> Regards

I assume that the Scanner and printers have their own power supplies in
which case you will not need a powered hub. You only need a powered hub
when you have lots of items attached that don't have their own power supply
(e.g. wireless USB adaptor, phone charger, MP3 player, cup warmer).

Unlikely that you will notice any hit on performance.

Walter Mautner

kajeel wrote:

> I am considering using a USB hub. Is there any loss of performance in
> items like printers and scanners when connected via a hub and is it
> necessary to use a self powered one, or is one that draws its power from
> the PC adequate for this purpose. I am planning on running an inkjet
> printer, scanner and small (monochrome) laser printer. The PC is a P4 but
> unfortunately only USB 1.1 at this time.

Bbuy a cheap 4-port usb2 pci card. The scanner will do a lot faster on usb2,
just like the printers.
Since probably all your devices have their own power bricks, you won't need
"power-over-usb".

PC

"kajeel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lNXlf.14617$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am considering using a USB hub. Is there any loss of performance in items
> like printers and scanners when connected via a hub and is it necessary to
> use a self powered one, or is one that draws its power from the PC
> adequate
> for this purpose. I am planning on running an inkjet printer, scanner and
> small (monochrome) laser printer. The PC is a P4 but unfortunately only
> USB
> 1.1 at this time.
>
> Regards

Kajeel

An external USB hub (preferably powered by a power brick) would work but the
USB V1.1 you have at the moment would prove to be a big bottle neck.
Even if your printers and scanner are only V1.1 they will each be able to
max out the present PC V1.1 socket so scanning and printing at the same time
will result in significantly reduced speed for these devices.

'Best' solution for you would be to install a 3/4 port USB 2.0 PCI card.

Cheers
Paul.

Joey

PC wrote:
> "kajeel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:lNXlf.14617$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I am considering using a USB hub. Is there any loss of performance in items
>>like printers and scanners when connected via a hub and is it necessary to
>>use a self powered one, or is one that draws its power from the PC
>>adequate
>>for this purpose. I am planning on running an inkjet printer, scanner and
>>small (monochrome) laser printer. The PC is a P4 but unfortunately only
>>USB
>>1.1 at this time.
>>
>>Regards
>>

> Kajeel
>
> An external USB hub (preferably powered by a power brick) would work but the
> USB V1.1 you have at the moment would prove to be a big bottle neck.
> Even if your printers and scanner are only V1.1 they will each be able to
> max out the present PC V1.1 socket so scanning and printing at the same time
> will result in significantly reduced speed for these devices.
>
> 'Best' solution for you would be to install a 3/4 port USB 2.0 PCI card.
>
> Cheers
> Paul.

USB 1.1 is definintly a loss of performance. Use FireWire or USB 2.0.

kajeel

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2005-12-08, kajeel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I am considering using a USB hub. Is there any loss of performance in

items
> > like printers and scanners when connected via a hub and is it necessary

> > use a self powered one, or is one that draws its power from the PC

adequate
> > for this purpose. I am planning on running an inkjet printer, scanner

and
> > small (monochrome) laser printer. The PC is a P4 but unfortunately only

USB
> > 1.1 at this time.
> >
> > Regards

> There shouldn't be any loss in performance connecting via a hub instead of
> directly to the socket on the PC, but your computer may get bogged down if
> you try to run too many things at once.
>
> If all the things you want to connect, have their own seperate
> power-supplies, then I think a non-powered hub would be OK; if any of them
> gets its power via the USB connection then a powered hub would be a good
> idea.
>
> --
> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
> -- Whiskers
> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for the info....I ended up getting a powered 4 port hub and have
connected the two printers to it so far. I have left the Canon scanner
(which does not have its own power) connected directly to the PC. The main
purpose of the hub was to avoid having to swap plugs all the time as the
printers will only be run one at a time and I was one USB port short of what
was required.

USB ports reporting all installs as Generic USB Hubs jmcgovern Computer Support 3 03-05-2007 12:30 AM
USB Hubs David Butler NZ Computing 4 09-15-2005 10:56 AM
Ultra USB Hubs @ Viperlair Silverstrand Front Page News 0 08-02-2005 01:56 AM
running 2 USB hubs serial? Volker Computer Support 2 01-13-2005 07:17 PM
Wireless USB Hubs Brian Computer Support 3 02-05-2004 07:38 PM

Advertisments