Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Re: Active Directory Problems

Re: Active Directory Problems

Zenner

Go to Start> Control panel> System> computer name. In full computer name it
will say "server.domain.local" or whatever your naming convention, if it is
part of a Domain.

"Keith Norris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am logging on to the domain and I do see the domain list under network
> identification. However, I can't perform domain work from Server B. I
> cannot use Active Directory User and Computers to manage domain accounts.
> When I click Active Directory Users and Computers from Administrative

Tools,
> I get a dialog box saying "Naming information cannot be located because:

The
> server is not operational. Contact your system administrator to verify

that
> your domain is properly configured and is currently online." When I try

> use Active Directory Domains and Trusts, I get a dialog box saying "The
> configuration
> information describing the enterprise is not available. The server is not
> operational." How do I make it operational? I must be able to do

something
> to configure it properly but I don't know what that is. Do you think it

has
> something to do with DNS on Server B? There are no Forward and Reverse
> Lookup Zones as far as I can tell. How do I set up DNS so it will work
> properly? On Server A, the domain controller, I do see that there is
> information in the Forward Lookup Zone folder so I guess it is configured
> properly on Server A. Maybe Server B was not correctly connected to the
> domain? What do I do to make sure Server B is correctly connected to the
> domain and configured properly?
>
> Thanks Alot!
> Keith
>
> PS. If it's not clear what OS I have, it is Window 2000 Server.
>

> "MCSE World" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cGt%a.7872$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When you logon to Server B do you have the optin to logon locally or to

> the
> > domain? That's a good easy way to check.
> >
> > Also, check your System applet. For Windows 2000, look at the Network
> > Identification tab. For Windows Server 2003, look at the Computer Name

> tab.
> > The Domain field will let you know that you are in a domain. If it says
> > Workgroup instead...well there ya go.
> >
> > Best,
> > Will
> > www.mcseworld.com
> >
> > "Keith Norris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I am starting to study for the 215 exam but I haven't taken 210 yet or

> any
> > > of the other in the track. I am new to the server-networking side of

> the
> > > fence. I am a developer. Anyway, I have two computers at home that I

> > want
> > > to use as a lab for my study work. One computer is a domain

controller
> > > (Server A) and the other computer is a member server (Server B)

> hopefully.
> > > The domain is called Domain. Both computers were domain controllers

at
> > one
> > > time but I ran the dcpromo tool to bring Server B down to a member

> server.
> > > I'm hoping Server B went to a member server and is on the domain

Domain
> > and
> > > not a member of a workgroup. I'm pretty sure it is not in a workgroup
> > > because when I go to My Network Places and view the entire network and

> > then
> > > click Workgroup, I do not see Server B, however, if I click Domain, I

> see
> > > Server A and Server B. I guess this is telling me that Server B is on

> the
> > > Domain domain and not the Workgroup? Is there any other way to

confirm
> > this
> > > (maybe through the control panel)? I installed the Adminpak on Server

> > but
> > > I cannot use Active Directory User and Computers to manage domain

> > accounts.
> > > When I click Active Directory Users and Computers from Administrative

> > Tools,
> > > I get a dialog box saying "Naming information cannot be located

because:
> > The
> > > server is not operational. Contact your system administrator to

verify
> > that
> > > your domain is properly configured and is currently online." Does

this
> > mean
> > > that I have to do something with DNS on Server B? I don't know

anything
> > > about DNS at this point. When I go to Configure your server from
> > > Administrative Tools and then Networking, DNS, Manage, I'll see a DNS
> > > management console with DNS in a hierarchy display. Under DNS, I see

> > Server
> > > B. I do not also see Server A. Should I? If I click Server B, I see

> > > Forward Lookup Zone folder and a Reverse Lookup Zone folder. There is
> > > nothing in the Forward or Reverse Lookup Zone folders. Should there

be
> > > something in either one of these folders or both? How should I

rectify