Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Screwed by Michael

Screwed by Michael

Alt-Ctrl-Del

That bastard got me. Or maybe not. That is what I have come to ask. I
bought and received a new Dell today and it was showcased for 256MB,
DDR-SDRAM @ 400MHz.

Well, I have the 256MB, DDR, SDRAM, but not the 400MHz system memory speed.
In Setup the memory is listed as running at a system speed of 333 MHz. So I
call Dell and one of their reps tell me that 333MHz system speed for the
memory is actually exactly the same as 400MHZ, it is in reality the same
thing. Is this true?

Also, the system was billed and advertised as an 80 GB Hard-drive and all I
can find is one 71.4 GB NTFS partition which is C:, one 3.something GB
partition that is just regular FAT32, and another for 32MB, not GB, that is
just FAT.
So, all of them together still don't = 80 GB.

The Dell rep. says that this is perfectly normal also and that I don't know
how to add and it is really an 80 GB hard-drive. Okay, she didn't say that
but she did say that it really was 80 GB and not to worry about it. Was she
right?

Thanks

Alt.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Alt-Ctrl-Del wrote:
> That bastard got me. Or maybe not. That is what I have come to ask. I
> bought and received a new Dell today and it was showcased for 256MB,
> DDR-SDRAM @ 400MHz.
>
> Well, I have the 256MB, DDR, SDRAM, but not the 400MHz system memory speed.
> In Setup the memory is listed as running at a system speed of 333 MHz. So I
> call Dell and one of their reps tell me that 333MHz system speed for the
> memory is actually exactly the same as 400MHZ, it is in reality the same
> thing. Is this true?

No.

> Also, the system was billed and advertised as an 80 GB Hard-drive and all I
> can find is one 71.4 GB NTFS partition which is C:, one 3.something GB
> partition that is just regular FAT32, and another for 32MB, not GB, that is
> just FAT.
> So, all of them together still don't = 80 GB.
>
> The Dell rep. says that this is perfectly normal also and that I don't know
> how to add and it is really an 80 GB hard-drive. Okay, she didn't say that
> but she did say that it really was 80 GB and not to worry about it. Was she
> right?

Yes (probably).

As for the memory, it's running speed is set by the processor, which may
be running it at 333MHz. For the hard drive, drives are frequently
advertised using the formula 1,000MBs = 1 GB. But in reality it's
1,024MBs, so the true size of the drive is slightly smaller than the
advertised size.

PC

"Alt-Ctrl-Del" <Alt-Ctrl-Del@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net> wrote in
message newsFvlf.437$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> That bastard got me. Or maybe not. That is what I have come to ask. I
> bought and received a new Dell today and it was showcased for 256MB,
> DDR-SDRAM @ 400MHz.
>
> Well, I have the 256MB, DDR, SDRAM, but not the 400MHz system memory
> speed. In Setup the memory is listed as running at a system speed of 333
> MHz. So I call Dell and one of their reps tell me that 333MHz system speed
> for the memory is actually exactly the same as 400MHZ, it is in reality
> the same thing. Is this true?
>
> Also, the system was billed and advertised as an 80 GB Hard-drive and all
> I can find is one 71.4 GB NTFS partition which is C:, one 3.something GB
> partition that is just regular FAT32, and another for 32MB, not GB, that
> is just FAT.
> So, all of them together still don't = 80 GB.
>
> The Dell rep. says that this is perfectly normal also and that I don't
> know how to add and it is really an 80 GB hard-drive. Okay, she didn't
> say that but she did say that it really was 80 GB and not to worry about
> it. Was she right?
>

> Thanks
>
> Alt.

Alt.

400 does not equal 333 no mater how you cut the cake.
However you may find the're using 'marketing speak' ie use the highest
figure that is teniously connected.
For example you may see a 800MHZ bus advertised, but the supplied memory is
only 200MHZ memory because they use 'quad pumping' techniques to quadruple
the base frequency of the memory. But it is still 800MHZ at some part of the
process.

The hard drive discreptancy is very common and relates to how you add up all
the 'bytes' on a drive.
Many irate people have posed the 'where's my missing space gone' question
I would merely point you to this website for an explanation.
http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/36-p1.php
Essentially it's the same 'marketing speak' problem as with memory speeds.

At the end of the day Dell is a 'Sales' company and they will cut the
advertising to look as favourable as possible.
Comparable with airlines that advertise a $99 fare then in the fine print
add $201 in taxes, levies and surcharges.

If you don't like it I believe Dell have a 'Return if not satisfied' policy.

cheers
Paul.

Dave Lear

"Alt-Ctrl-Del" wrote in message
newsFvlf.437$(E-Mail Removed) .net

> Also, the system was billed and advertised as an 80 GB Hard-drive
> and all I can find is one 71.4 GB NTFS partition which is C:, one
> 3.something GB partition that is just regular FAT32, and another for
> 32MB, not GB, that is just FAT.
> So, all of them together still don't = 80 GB.

The apparent discrepancy is due to hard disk drive manufacturers using
decimal definitions, i.e. to manufacturers

1KB = 10^3 = 1,000 bytes
1MB = 10^6 = 1,000,000 bytes
1GB = 10^9 = 1,000,000,000 bytes

whereas computers use binary, i.e. to your computer

1KB = 2^10 = 1,024 bytes
1MB = 2^20 = 1,048,576 bytes
1GB = 2^30 = 1,073,741,824 bytes

So, for the manufacturer 80GB means 80,000,000,000 bytes. If you divide
80,000,000,000 by 1,073,741,824 then you get 74.51Gig which matches the
amount of space you say you have.

Alt-Ctrl-Del

"Alt-Ctrl-Del" <Alt-Ctrl-Del@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net> wrote in
message newsFvlf.437$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> That bastard got me. Or maybe not. That is what I have come to ask. I
> bought and received a new Dell today and it was showcased for 256MB,
> DDR-SDRAM @ 400MHz.
>
> Well, I have the 256MB, DDR, SDRAM, but not the 400MHz system memory
> speed. In Setup the memory is listed as running at a system speed of 333
> MHz. So I call Dell and one of their reps tell me that 333MHz system speed
> for the memory is actually exactly the same as 400MHZ, it is in reality
> the same thing. Is this true?
>
> Also, the system was billed and advertised as an 80 GB Hard-drive and all
> I can find is one 71.4 GB NTFS partition which is C:, one 3.something GB
> partition that is just regular FAT32, and another for 32MB, not GB, that
> is just FAT.
> So, all of them together still don't = 80 GB.
>
> The Dell rep. says that this is perfectly normal also and that I don't
> know how to add and it is really an 80 GB hard-drive. Okay, she didn't
> say that but she did say that it really was 80 GB and not to worry about
> it. Was she right?
>

> Thanks
>
> Alt.

Roger, PC, Dave,

Thanks for all the explanations. I liked all the mini-charts of speeds and
sizes and things and saved them to use as reference.

I am satisfied with the computer, I am happy with it. 333MHz-400MHz system
memory speed, who the hell cares right. It is good enough. I kind of had an
idea that the HD size was correct, but the lady I talked to on the phone
didn't communicate real well and I just wanted to make sure. Nothing like
talking/typing to people that understand what you are saying.

Stick around for awhile, I will surely come up with some more completely
boring questions that seem simple to many of you and stuns some of us
without the right knowledge in the right places.

Thanks again guys,
Alt.

Gordon Burgess-Parker

Rgr wrote:

> For the hard drive, drives are frequently advertised using the formula 1,000MBs = 1 GB. But in reality it's
> 1,024MBs, so the true size of the drive is slightly smaller than the
> advertised size.

Also the advertised size is the UNFORMATTED size - you always lose a bit
when the disk is formatted.

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Ubuntu 5.10

Mitch

In article <oFvlf.437$(E-Mail Removed) >,
Alt-Ctrl-Del <Alt-Ctrl-Del@________------------{{{{> wrote:

> Well, I have the 256MB, DDR, SDRAM, but not the 400MHz system memory speed.
> In Setup the memory is listed as running at a system speed of 333 MHz.

There are a lot of things on the computer that have their own speeds.
What you are talking about there seems to be two different things --
one is the speed the memory is capable of. The other might be the
system bus speed.
You seem to be combining the terms here, so it's hard to say which is
which.

You would need to know the memory type if you want more.

PC

"Alt-Ctrl-Del" <Alt-Ctrl-Del@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net> wrote in
message news:NWwlf.459$(E-Mail Removed) .net...

> "Alt-Ctrl-Del" <Alt-Ctrl-Del@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net> wrote in
> message newsFvlf.437$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
>> That bastard got me. Or maybe not. That is what I have come to ask. I
>> bought and received a new Dell today and it was showcased for 256MB,
>> DDR-SDRAM @ 400MHz.
>>
>> Well, I have the 256MB, DDR, SDRAM, but not the 400MHz system memory
>> speed. In Setup the memory is listed as running at a system speed of 333
>> MHz. So I call Dell and one of their reps tell me that 333MHz system
>> speed for the memory is actually exactly the same as 400MHZ, it is in
>> reality the same thing. Is this true?
>>
>> Also, the system was billed and advertised as an 80 GB Hard-drive and all
>> I can find is one 71.4 GB NTFS partition which is C:, one 3.something GB
>> partition that is just regular FAT32, and another for 32MB, not GB, that
>> is just FAT.
>> So, all of them together still don't = 80 GB.
>>
>> The Dell rep. says that this is perfectly normal also and that I don't
>> know how to add and it is really an 80 GB hard-drive. Okay, she didn't
>> say that but she did say that it really was 80 GB and not to worry about
>> it. Was she right?
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Alt.
>>

> Roger, PC, Dave,
>
> Thanks for all the explanations. I liked all the mini-charts of speeds
> and sizes and things and saved them to use as reference.
>
> I am satisfied with the computer, I am happy with it. 333MHz-400MHz
> system memory speed, who the hell cares right. It is good enough. I kind
> of had an idea that the HD size was correct, but the lady I talked to on
> the phone didn't communicate real well and I just wanted to make sure.
> Nothing like talking/typing to people that understand what you are saying.
>
> Stick around for awhile, I will surely come up with some more completely
> boring questions that seem simple to many of you and stuns some of us
> without the right knowledge in the right places.
>
> Thanks again guys,
> Alt.

Alt

If I may suggest, try 'Googling' first if you feel the question may be
'boring'
If you can learn the 'what words to use' skill Google has an absolute gold
mine of information.
Google 'Groups' (under the type in box) will allow you to search previous
questions posted to all the newsgroups.

Best luck
Paul.