Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DMA modes?

DMA modes?

Kenny

Gigabyte m/b Nvidia Nforce3 250 Parallel ATA Controller (V2.6)
Properties show:
Primary Master
WD1200JB-7500CRAO
Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
Enable write caching ticked
Ultra DMA5 - Ultra100
Primary Slave
Maxtor 6YP160PO
Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
Enable write caching ticked
Ultra DMA6 - Ultra133
Secondary Master
_NEC DVD_RW ND2500A
Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
Enable write caching greyed out
Ultra DMA2 - Ultra33
Secondary Slave
Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD120
Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
Enable write caching greyed out
Ultra DMA4 - Ultra66
Why the differences in DMA modes in both HDD and optical drives?
Unticking "Let BIOS select transfer mode" only gives me the option of going
to a lower mode, not higher.

--
Kenny Cargill

fred-bloggs

"Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:dn3nnt$c5v$(E-Mail Removed):

> Gigabyte m/b Nvidia Nforce3 250 Parallel ATA Controller (V2.6)
> Properties show:
> Primary Master
> WD1200JB-7500CRAO
> Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
> Enable write caching ticked
> Ultra DMA5 - Ultra100
> Primary Slave
> Maxtor 6YP160PO
> Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
> Enable write caching ticked
> Ultra DMA6 - Ultra133
> Secondary Master
> _NEC DVD_RW ND2500A
> Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
> Enable write caching greyed out
> Ultra DMA2 - Ultra33
> Secondary Slave
> Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD120
> Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
> Enable write caching greyed out
> Ultra DMA4 - Ultra66
> Why the differences in DMA modes in both HDD and optical drives?
> Unticking "Let BIOS select transfer mode" only gives me the option of
> going to a lower mode, not higher.

The difference in DMA modes is due to the difference in the capabilities
of each device. Your BIOS has selected the maximum speed, the highest DMA
mode, for each device.

--
fred

dadiOH

Kenny wrote:

> Why the differences in DMA modes in both HDD and optical drives?

That is the capability (built in, unchangeable) of the particular drive.
If you want higher you buy higher.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Shepİ

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 10:04:52 -0000 If you fall from a tree,leave your
anger on the branch and then "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> sent this :

>Gigabyte m/b Nvidia Nforce3 250 Parallel ATA Controller (V2.6)
>Properties show:
>Primary Master
>WD1200JB-7500CRAO
>Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
>Enable write caching ticked
>Ultra DMA5 - Ultra100
>Primary Slave
>Maxtor 6YP160PO
>Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
>Enable write caching ticked
>Ultra DMA6 - Ultra133
>Secondary Master
>_NEC DVD_RW ND2500A
>Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
>Enable write caching greyed out
>Ultra DMA2 - Ultra33
>Secondary Slave
>Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD120
>Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
>Enable write caching greyed out
>Ultra DMA4 - Ultra66
>Why the differences in DMA modes in both HDD and optical drives?
>Unticking "Let BIOS select transfer mode" only gives me the option of going
>to a lower mode, not higher.

As per other posts it's the maximum speed the drives support.
Standard CD/CDR drivers are limited to Udma 2 Ultra33 speed.
Newer DVDs Ultra DMA4 - Ultra66
Hard drives from Udma 33(Very old) upwards.
Write caching on the Optical devices is disabled as they are not
capable of it.This is different from read-ahead caching in the
operating system.

If you do a lot of CD to CD copying or DVD to CD copying it's best to
have the optical drives on separate IDE ports to defeat,"Wait-states"
while copying or if copying large image files have the hard drive
being read from on a different IDE port to the CD/DVD drive that it's
copying too for the same reason.

To check that all supported DMA modes are in fact implemented in the
operating system use the free small NeroInfoTool that comes with Nero
Burning ROM or available from here,

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=download.html

Can be run from inside the .zip file and check it's Configuration Tab.

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...m?bandID=88558

Kenny

Thanks for the replies.

--
Kenny Cargill

"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> Primary Master
> WD1200JB-7500CRAO
> Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
> Enable write caching ticked
> Ultra DMA5 - Ultra100
> Primary Slave
> Maxtor 6YP160PO
> Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
> Enable write caching ticked
> Ultra DMA6 - Ultra133
> Secondary Master
> _NEC DVD_RW ND2500A
> Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
> Enable write caching greyed out
> Ultra DMA2 - Ultra33
> Secondary Slave
> Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD120
> Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
> Enable write caching greyed out
> Ultra DMA4 - Ultra66
> Why the differences in DMA modes in both HDD and optical drives?
> Unticking "Let BIOS select transfer mode" only gives me the option of

What, you thought your optical drives were as fast as your hard drives?
They are slow devices, so obviously they don't need to waste money on
circuitry to provide faster data transfer rates far beyond what the device
can support.

vhdl source code for DMA controller VJ VHDL 1 03-11-2008 09:29 AM
VHDL/Verilog code for DMA Controller lovely VHDL 1 04-12-2004 04:30 PM
Re: DMA Shepİ Computer Support 2 07-16-2003 11:58 PM
DMA? EarlyLearner Computer Support 3 07-08-2003 07:44 AM
Can't burn dvds with DMA enabled. Rednose Computer Support 1 06-24-2003 06:38 PM

Advertisments