Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Linksys Router Problem

Linksys Router Problem

Mr. Foster Freeze

It's been awhile since I was here last.
Good to see y'all got along so well without my stupid questions.
Here's another:
I finally got a semi-decent ISP (Comcast) and built the PC I was once
talking about (XP Pro OS), and bought a Linksis Model No. BEFSR41 ver.
4 to use as a physical firewall.
It works. But only for about 10 to 30 minutes. Then it drops me
offline.
I stay online fine without the router but would kinda like to use the
dang thing.
I gotta reset everything to use it. Right not I just bypassed the
bugger.
I called the tech line and the lady in India (or wherever) was very
nice and walked me thru making a clone mac (sounds like a
cheeseburger) and everything, but it's still fukin up.

Can anyone loan me a clue?

--

"The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."

Duane Arnold

Mr. Foster Freeze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> It's been awhile since I was here last.
> Good to see y'all got along so well without my stupid questions.
> Here's another:
> I finally got a semi-decent ISP (Comcast) and built the PC I was once
> talking about (XP Pro OS), and bought a Linksis Model No. BEFSR41 ver.
> 4 to use as a physical firewall.
> It works. But only for about 10 to 30 minutes. Then it drops me
> offline.
> I stay online fine without the router but would kinda like to use the
> dang thing.
> I gotta reset everything to use it. Right not I just bypassed the
> bugger.
> I called the tech line and the lady in India (or wherever) was very
> nice and walked me thru making a clone mac (sounds like a
> cheeseburger) and everything, but it's still fukin up.

You can try and re-flash the router with the latest version of the
firmware the router is using and see if that fixes your problem.
Sometimes you have to flash it to get it to work out of the box.

Duane

Mr. Foster Freeze

What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Tue, 06 Dec 2005
04:35:53 GMT, canst thou now find out, to hide Duane Arnold
<(E-Mail Removed)> from this open and apparent shame?:

>Mr. Foster Freeze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> It's been awhile since I was here last.
>> Good to see y'all got along so well without my stupid questions.
>> Here's another:
>> I finally got a semi-decent ISP (Comcast) and built the PC I was

once
>> talking about (XP Pro OS), and bought a Linksis Model No. BEFSR41

ver.
>> 4 to use as a physical firewall.
>> It works. But only for about 10 to 30 minutes. Then it drops me
>> offline.
>> I stay online fine without the router but would kinda like to use

the
>> dang thing.
>> I gotta reset everything to use it. Right not I just bypassed the
>> bugger.
>> I called the tech line and the lady in India (or wherever) was very
>> nice and walked me thru making a clone mac (sounds like a
>> cheeseburger) and everything, but it's still fukin up.

>You can try and re-flash the router with the latest version of the
>firmware the router is using and see if that fixes your problem.
>Sometimes you have to flash it to get it to work out of the box.
>
>Duane

Izat the same as running the software that came widit? Cauz I didit.
First.

--

"The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."

Mike Easter

Mr. Foster Freeze wrote:

> I finally got a semi-decent ISP (Comcast) and built the PC I was once
> talking about (XP Pro OS), and bought a Linksis Model No. BEFSR41 ver.
> 4 to use as a physical firewall.

> It works. But only for about 10 to 30 minutes. Then it drops me
> offline.

You haven't described your connectivity and your troubleshooting yet.

You are comcast connected how? dialup, dsl, cable? When you lose your
connectivity are you still connected to the router and the router has
lost its connection to the net, or you have lost your connection to the
router?

If you lose your connection to the router, you can't 'see' its webpage
'internals' at http://192.168.1.1/ [needs user/pw]

If you can see the router, but it doesn't have a routable IP comcast IP
address like 68.47.216.122 in the WAN section of the status tab, then
somehow the wan connection is being dropped, like a dialup can get
dropped.

--
Mike Easter

Duane Arnold

Mr. Foster Freeze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Tue, 06 Dec 2005
> 04:35:53 GMT, canst thou now find out, to hide Duane Arnold
> <(E-Mail Removed)> from this open and apparent shame?:
>
>>Mr. Foster Freeze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:
>>
>>> It's been awhile since I was here last.
>>> Good to see y'all got along so well without my stupid questions.
>>> Here's another:
>>> I finally got a semi-decent ISP (Comcast) and built the PC I was

> once
>>> talking about (XP Pro OS), and bought a Linksis Model No. BEFSR41

> ver.
>>> 4 to use as a physical firewall.
>>> It works. But only for about 10 to 30 minutes. Then it drops me
>>> offline.
>>> I stay online fine without the router but would kinda like to use

> the
>>> dang thing.
>>> I gotta reset everything to use it. Right not I just bypassed the
>>> bugger.
>>> I called the tech line and the lady in India (or wherever) was very
>>> nice and walked me thru making a clone mac (sounds like a
>>> cheeseburger) and everything, but it's still fukin up.

>>You can try and re-flash the router with the latest version of the
>>firmware the router is using and see if that fixes your problem.
>>Sometimes you have to flash it to get it to work out of the box.
>>
>>Duane
>>

> Izat the same as running the software that came widit? Cauz I didit.
> First.

So you're saying you flashed the router out of the box? You reinstalled
the firmware/flashed the router with the firmware downloaded from the
site because sometimes the software doesn't get installed properly on the
router for whatever reason and that's a way of correcting problems with
the router. I am not saying that will for sure fix you problem but it
can't hurt and it's worth a try. Other than that, the thing may be
defective out of the box too, which in that case you should return it and
get another one.

Duane

Mr. Foster Freeze

What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Mon, 5 Dec 2005
20:52:16 -0800, canst thou now find out, to hide "Mike Easter"
<(E-Mail Removed)> from this open and apparent shame?:

>Mr. Foster Freeze wrote:
>
>> I finally got a semi-decent ISP (Comcast) and built the PC I was

once
>> talking about (XP Pro OS), and bought a Linksis Model No. BEFSR41

ver.
>> 4 to use as a physical firewall.

>> It works. But only for about 10 to 30 minutes. Then it drops me
>> offline.

>You haven't described your connectivity and your troubleshooting yet.
>
>You are comcast connected how? dialup, dsl, cable?

Cable.

>When you lose your
>connectivity are you still connected to the router and the router has
>lost its connection to the net, or you have lost your connection to

the
>router?

The former.

>If you lose your connection to the router, you can't 'see' its

webpage
>'internals' at http://192.168.1.1/ [needs user/pw]

Can see that. (Hey that's where the India girl took me!)

>If you can see the router, but it doesn't have a routable IP comcast

IP
>address like 68.47.216.122 in the WAN section of the status tab, then
>somehow the wan connection is being dropped, like a dialup can get
>dropped.

I'll check that.
And if that's the case?

--

Mr. Foster Freeze wrote:

>>> It works. But only for about 10 to 30 minutes. Then it drops me
>>> offline.

I'm worried about Duane's idea that you might have a sick firmware.

When that happened to me, the router's diagnostic light stayed on,
blinking. Are your lights on the front of the router doing what they
are supposed to, or something else?

When you build the network from scratch, lets say that everything is
powered down. When you powerup the cable modem, the little lights go
thru' their thing and then they get all situated. Then, when you
powerup the router, the little router lights go thru' their thing and
then they get all situated. When my firmware got sick, the red
diagnostic light kept blinking on powerup. So I had to go get a
firmware flasher and send it to the router to get it fixed. But, when
my firmware got sick, I couldn't even see the router.

Anyway, back to our network building. Then when you powerup the
computer it can see the router and the router can see the network and
the computer can see the network thru' the router. In your
troubleshooting, you should definitely take it thru' such a rebuild.

> Cable.

>> still connected to the router and the router has
>> lost its connection to the net,

>> If you can see the router, but it doesn't have a routable IP comcast
>> IP address like 68.47.216.122 in the WAN section of the status tab,
>> then somehow the wan connection is being dropped, like a dialup can
>> get dropped.

> I'll check that.
> And if that's the case?

Errrm. That shouldn't be happening, he said, unhelpfully.

I didn't think this problem of sick firmware might be encountered right
out of the box, but it does seem like that stuff is kinda 'delicate.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Duane Arnold wrote:
> Mr. Foster Freeze
>> Duane Arnold

>>> You can try and re-flash the router with the latest version of the
>>> firmware the router is using and see if that fixes your problem.
>>> Sometimes you have to flash it to get it to work out of the box.

>> Izat the same as running the software that came widit? Cauz I didit.
>> First.

I think FF is saying he ran the Linksys setup wizard that comes on the
linksys CD, not a firmware flash.

> So you're saying you flashed the router out of the box?

I think not.

> Other
> than that, the thing may be defective out of the box too, which in
> that case you should return it and get another one.

Therein lies the great difference between getting something at your
local Fry's or other vs the mailorder process.

--
Mike Easter

Rosco

Mike Easter cried out

> I'm worried about Duane's idea that you might have a sick
> firmware.
>
> When that happened to me, the router's diagnostic light stayed on,
> blinking. Are your lights on the front of the router doing what
> they are supposed to, or something else?
>
> When you build the network from scratch, lets say that everything
> is powered down. When you powerup the cable modem, the little
> lights go thru' their thing and then they get all situated. Then,
> when you powerup the router, the little router lights go thru'
> their thing and then they get all situated. When my firmware got
> sick, the red diagnostic light kept blinking on powerup. So I had
> to go get a firmware flasher and send it to the router to get it
> fixed. But, when my firmware got sick, I couldn't even see the
> router.
>
> Anyway, back to our network building. Then when you powerup the
> computer it can see the router and the router can see the network
> and the computer can see the network thru' the router. In your
> troubleshooting, you should definitely take it thru' such a
> rebuild.
>
>> Cable.

>>> still connected to the router and the router has
>>> lost its connection to the net,

>>> If you can see the router, but it doesn't have a routable IP
>>> comcast IP address like 68.47.216.122 in the WAN section of the
>>> status tab, then somehow the wan connection is being dropped,
>>> like a dialup can get dropped.

>> I'll check that.
>> And if that's the case?

> Errrm. That shouldn't be happening, he said, unhelpfully.
>
> I didn't think this problem of sick firmware might be encountered
> right out of the box, but it does seem like that stuff is kinda
> 'delicate.

firmware firmware firmware, thats what linksys told me, i found out
the simplest way to fix my problem (firmware did not fix it) click
on the administration page, and disable UPnP

Mike Easter

Rosco wrote:
> i found out
> the simplest way to fix my problem (firmware did not fix it) click
> on the administration page, and disable UPnP

Well, mine is disabled, but I can't see how if upnp were enabled it
would disturb the connectivity.

My manual doesn't help me much because my router's configuration section
for upnp isn't even shown in the manual, much less explained. I
understand from elsewhere that it is for routing appropriate devices.

--
Mike Easter