Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Converting .JPEG files to Word .doc files?

Converting .JPEG files to Word .doc files?

Joe Viola

Never having used a scanner before, I have just spent the weekend
scanning a mountain of documents into my laptop. When I tried to open
them in Word (Office 2003)they opened as numbers and symbols. I had
scanned them in as .jpeg files. How can I convert them to word files
with a .doc extension? All advice appreciated.

Thanks

Trax

Joe Viola <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Never having used a scanner before, I have just spent the weekend
|>scanning a mountain of documents into my laptop. When I tried to open
|>them in Word (Office 2003)they opened as numbers and symbols. I had
|>scanned them in as .jpeg files. How can I convert them to word files
|>with a .doc extension? All advice appreciated.

You insert jpg's into a DOC file.

You view jpg's with http://www.irfanview.com/

--
Hubble DVD's - Free downloads
http://www.spacetelescope.org/videos...ve/topic/dvd//

Oldus Fartus

Joe Viola wrote:
> Never having used a scanner before, I have just spent the weekend
> scanning a mountain of documents into my laptop. When I tried to open
> them in Word (Office 2003)they opened as numbers and symbols. I had
> scanned them in as .jpeg files. How can I convert them to word files
> with a .doc extension? All advice appreciated.

As you have discovered, scanning a document does not convert it to an
editable form, but just as an image or picture of the document.

Many scanners come with an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program,
such as OminiPage or the like. These programs look at the image, and
with varying success, convert the image to editable text.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Mitch

In article <l%Lkf.36117$(E-Mail Removed)> , Joe
Viola <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Never having used a scanner before, I have just spent the weekend
> scanning a mountain of documents into my laptop. When I tried to open
> them in Word (Office 2003)they opened as numbers and symbols. I had
> scanned them in as .jpeg files. How can I convert them to word files
> with a .doc extension? All advice appreciated.
>
> Thanks

As you are learning, a scanner can only make images.
A text file is not an image. You can't open an image and read the image
contents as words.

You need an OCR program -- optical character recognition. It is used to
process the image looking for text characters to output to a file. Keep
in mind you will need to help it along VERY often.

DC

Joe Viola wrote:
> Never having used a scanner before, I have just spent the weekend
> scanning a mountain of documents into my laptop. When I tried to open
> them in Word (Office 2003)they opened as numbers and symbols. I had
> scanned them in as .jpeg files. How can I convert them to word files
> with a .doc extension? All advice appreciated.

> Thanks

May I highly recommend (for Windows): http://www.simpleocr.com/

It's freeware.

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Viruses, Instability, Spyware, Trojans, Adware -- Pre-order today!
-= http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx =-