Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help Please! Partition Has Vanished!

Help Please! Partition Has Vanished!

madlove@optonline.net

Hi:
I have a G4 / OS X and my music hard drive partition has vanished. I
run Protools on OS 9 and I partitioned my hard drive for music files.
Can my partition be recovered? Do I have any options? There's no
drives visible to re-mount either. Chris

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi:
> I have a G4 / OS X and my music hard drive partition has vanished. I
> run Protools on OS 9 and I partitioned my hard drive for music files.
> Can my partition be recovered? Do I have any options? There's no
> drives visible to re-mount either. Chris

Open Disk Utility.
On the left, you will see an icon for the hard drive (with partitions
below it)
select the partition icon that isn't mounted, and click Mount.

If you don't see it, restart.
Hold shift down, so you can Safe Boot.
Use Disk Utility again.
Always look for the partition you are missing, and don't do anything
drastic yet. Also, don't write anything to that partition.

madlove@optonline.net

Hi Mitch:
I did a safe boot... and the partition didnt appear in disk utility.
Any other suggestions? or is there recovery software you'd recc? Chris

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi Mitch:
> I did a safe boot... and the partition didnt appear in disk utility.
> Any other suggestions? or is there recovery software you'd recc? Chris

Next step is starting up from CD, and checking what Disk Utility finds
there.
Just to check, start up with the command-option-p-r keys held down;
this will force the machine to reset some hardware parameters.

Failing that seeing the second partition, I'd use Disk Warrior.
Tech Tool Pro is also good.
I no longer like Norton tools as much.

madlove@optonline.net

Mitch,

We started up with the CD, no partition in disk utility, also started
up holding down command-option-p-r. Ran Apple's Hardware Test from the
cd and it detected an error in the Mass Storage. Error Code:
2STF/2/3:ATA-100 ata-6-Slave. It recommended sending to Apple care for
repairs. Do you know what this error code means? Should I send to Apple
or purchase Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pro. Also - I can't afford both
and it seems like they are slightly different, with reviews saying that
Tech Tool Pro is better for general maintainence. Which would you
reccommend as being better for partition recovery if I can only get
one?

Thanks for your help.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Mitch,
>
> We started up with the CD, no partition in disk utility, also started
> up holding down command-option-p-r. Ran Apple's Hardware Test from the
> cd and it detected an error in the Mass Storage. Error Code:
> 2STF/2/3:ATA-100 ata-6-Slave. It recommended sending to Apple care for
> repairs. Do you know what this error code means? Should I send to Apple
> or purchase Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pro. Also - I can't afford both
> and it seems like they are slightly different, with reviews saying that
> Tech Tool Pro is better for general maintainence. Which would you
> reccommend as being better for partition recovery if I can only get
> one?

No, I don't know that error.
You didn't install any new drives?

I'm afraid I've haven't had a serious problem for either one to solve.
Disk Warrior seems to get higher marks for fixing this kind of drive
problem.

I'd suggest talking to Apple first; or at least using one of their user
forums. If they say it might be solved with repair software, I'd get
Disk Warrior.
Let me ask, though; do you have nothing wrong with the other partition?
I mean, it has always been recognized as the startup volume, and no
files disappeared? That's a good thing; it gives you better options.

Let's check it's SMART status. Open Disk Utility.
At the bottom, it should say 'verified' -- other notes would warn of a
potential problem with the drive, and I'd suggest getting a new hard
drive, connecting it inside, installing OS X, and let the installer
migrate your files.

I'm guessing you have just one user set up? If so, is it known that no
one deleted the partition in Disk Utility (or some third-party
program)?

Did you verify that the current partition is only part of the whole
drive? It isn't showing the full drive capacity?

There are third-party tools for managing partitions, of course, but
until we have everything backed up from the missing partition, I'd just
as soon avoid them. You'd be risking losing the contents of the
partition.

I'd love to suggest more tricks, but I always want to have a repair
tool around, and I am guessing Disk Warrior will be able to help.
One tip, if you go for that -- when you start up with it, it might take
a while to work. Let it -- you don't want to force it out of the
repair.

madlove@optonline.net

thanks for all the time & help Mitch. Unfort, nothing worked, ill have
to figure out what im going to do next. Chris

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> thanks for all the time & help Mitch. Unfort, nothing worked, ill have
> to figure out what im going to do next. Chris

Dammit. Good news is that if you are not having any trouble with the
other partition, so it's probably just a minor drive corruption or
catalog corruption, and very likely recoverable.
But you'll want to do a really solid check of the drive after you get
everything off, to see if it might have a problem. I suggest making
backups of the other files (your home directory, mainly) right now.

Did you get a look at Disk Warrior yet?