Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Getting printed scans to match the original

Getting printed scans to match the original

SS

I have an Epson 830U photo printer. I scanned a picture in from my Epson
1240U flatbed and printed it (from paintshop pro 6) but the printed picture
had too much red hue and probably too much colour saturation (the original
on screen looked fine). Is there a way I can ensure the printed result
matches the original without having to use the 'trial and error' method and
wasting a load of photo paper?

Trax

"SS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I have an Epson 830U photo printer. I scanned a picture in from my Epson
|>1240U flatbed and printed it (from paintshop pro 6) but the printed picture
|>had too much red hue and probably too much colour saturation (the original
|>on screen looked fine). Is there a way I can ensure the printed result
|>matches the original without having to use the 'trial and error' method and
|>wasting a load of photo paper?

Google: gamma adjustment

You need to adjust your monitor.

--
Take a break...
http://games.briankass.com/

Kenny

Not sure if it's the same in PSP6 but in PSP10 Monitor Calibration is under
the File menu.

--
Kenny Cargill

"SS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:t2mkf.15728$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an Epson 830U photo printer. I scanned a picture in from my Epson
> 1240U flatbed and printed it (from paintshop pro 6) but the printed
> picture
> had too much red hue and probably too much colour saturation (the original
> on screen looked fine). Is there a way I can ensure the printed result
> matches the original without having to use the 'trial and error' method
> and
> wasting a load of photo paper?

jerryg50@hotmail.com

Maybe the problem is the monitor. Get a copy of a good color
calibration file, and display it on the monitor. Make sure that the
display card has no options that are modifying its output to the
monitor. Everything in the display properties software has to be set to
default to start with.

Check the monitor to see that it is tracking the grey scale properly,
so that you know it is in true black and white to start with. If you
see any colourations or tinting in the scaling, this is most likey part
of the problem. The black level chip must be just visible, and the
white level chip must be visible without any clipping or bleeding.
There should be very little or no variation of colour in the chips in
between.

More often than not, differences are the errors in the monitor, and
with the display card to start with. After correcting the dispay
problems, then you can go on to investigating any problems with the
printer and scanner.

Jerry G.
======

Kenny

Quite a few monitor calibration tools here, take your pick:
http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/be_monitor.html

--
Kenny Cargill

news:dmsrs7$ibo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not sure if it's the same in PSP6 but in PSP10 Monitor Calibration is
> under the File menu.
>
> --
> Kenny Cargill
>

> "SS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:t2mkf.15728$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have an Epson 830U photo printer. I scanned a picture in from my Epson
>> 1240U flatbed and printed it (from paintshop pro 6) but the printed
>> picture
>> had too much red hue and probably too much colour saturation (the
>> original
>> on screen looked fine). Is there a way I can ensure the printed result
>> matches the original without having to use the 'trial and error' method
>> and
>> wasting a load of photo paper?

old jon

"SS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:t2mkf.15728$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an Epson 830U photo printer. I scanned a picture in from my Epson
> 1240U flatbed and printed it (from paintshop pro 6) but the printed
> picture
> had too much red hue and probably too much colour saturation (the original
> on screen looked fine). Is there a way I can ensure the printed result
> matches the original without having to use the 'trial and error' method
> and
> wasting a load of photo paper?

This article is worth a read.
http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/icc.htm
Monitors can be set up with different color profiles. sRGB seems to be a
good starting point.
PSPro 9 let`s you adjust a few parameters. I`m not sure about earlier
versions tho`.
It`s abit of trial and error, until you master it.
bw..OJ

SS

I would say definately the problem lies with the printer - photo looks fine
on the monitor - same as scanned. I do refill my own cartridges and I know
that can alter tones a bit. What I was thinking is could i scan a colour
chart, print it and then re-scan and use some software to 'calibrate' the
source file to correct the printer output. The colour monitor is a new LCD
type and looks not to have any emphasis on colours as all photos look 'good'
on it.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Maybe the problem is the monitor. Get a copy of a good color
> calibration file, and display it on the monitor. Make sure that the
> display card has no options that are modifying its output to the
> monitor. Everything in the display properties software has to be set to
> default to start with.
>
> Check the monitor to see that it is tracking the grey scale properly,
> so that you know it is in true black and white to start with. If you
> see any colourations or tinting in the scaling, this is most likey part
> of the problem. The black level chip must be just visible, and the
> white level chip must be visible without any clipping or bleeding.
> There should be very little or no variation of colour in the chips in
> between.
>
> More often than not, differences are the errors in the monitor, and
> with the display card to start with. After correcting the dispay
> problems, then you can go on to investigating any problems with the
> printer and scanner.
>
> Jerry G.
> ======

why?

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 20:12:07 GMT, SS wrote:

>I would say definately the problem lies with the printer - photo looks fine

It's gamma setting / matching the color for each device. This topic was
raised a while ago but the last thread I remember should still be found
by searching

There were several links about the topic.

Threads, searching with author:why? gamma
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...rch+this+group
or shorter
http://makeashorterlink.com/?F3942134C

Another search - print color monitor gamma , still in 24HSHD, while
searching al all groups has 29,000 hits. Many of those are groups
dealing with - photo apps, photos digital, graphics apps.

Reading of the existing info like ,

Matching Monitor Color and Print Color
I calibrated the monitor using Adobe Gamma, but regardless of the
setting I use
in print preview, color management, and printer settings, my prints all
look ...
http://adobe.photoshop.elements - Jul 9 2003, 1:08 pm by Kenneth McGrath
- 3 messages - 3 authors

Print colour matching
.... When I print out photos etc, the colours never seem to be the same
as what is on
the monitor. ... I've heard of colour management program thingy's that
solve ...
http://alt.graphics.photoshop - Feb 3 2002, 8:54 pm by Bob G - 7
messages - 7 authors

may help.

>on the monitor - same as scanned. I do refill my own cartridges and I know
>that can alter tones a bit. What I was thinking is could i scan a colour
>chart, print it and then re-scan and use some software to 'calibrate' the
>source file to correct the printer output. The colour monitor is a new LCD
>type and looks not to have any emphasis on colours as all photos look 'good'
>on it.
>
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>> Maybe the problem is the monitor. Get a copy of a good color
>> calibration file, and display it on the monitor. Make sure that the
>> display card has no options that are modifying its output to the

<snip>

>> More often than not, differences are the errors in the monitor, and
>> with the display card to start with. After correcting the dispay
>> problems, then you can go on to investigating any problems with the
>> printer and scanner.
>>
>> Jerry G.
>> ======

Me

Mitch

In article <t2mkf.15728$(E-Mail Removed)>, SS
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have an Epson 830U photo printer. I scanned a picture in from my Epson
> 1240U flatbed and printed it (from paintshop pro 6) but the printed picture
> had too much red hue and probably too much colour saturation (the original
> on screen looked fine). Is there a way I can ensure the printed result
> matches the original without having to use the 'trial and error' method and
> wasting a load of photo paper?

What you are talking about is called color management.
You need to install color management tools to do this.
It involves correcting the monitor (the monitor is always always off,
no matter what you think of how it looks) and using files that fix the
known behavior of the scanner and printer.

Note that all three are critical parts in this; you're just guessing if
you don't try to fix all three at once.

Yes, it will affect the results that you aren't using known inks, but
there is nothing you can do about that yet. Certainly not before you
have fixed the other differences.

Quirk E. Dude

In news:031220051210245128%(E-Mail Removed),
Mitch spewed forth:
> In article <t2mkf.15728$(E-Mail Removed)>, SS
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have an Epson 830U photo printer. I scanned a picture in from my
>> Epson 1240U flatbed and printed it (from paintshop pro 6) but the
>> printed picture had too much red hue and probably too much colour
>> saturation (the original on screen looked fine). Is there a way I
>> can ensure the printed result matches the original without having to
>> use the 'trial and error' method and wasting a load of photo paper?
>>

> What you are talking about is called color management.
> You need to install color management tools to do this.
> It involves correcting the monitor (the monitor is always always off,
> no matter what you think of how it looks) and using files that fix the
> known behavior of the scanner and printer.
>
> Note that all three are critical parts in this; you're just guessing
> if you don't try to fix all three at once.
>
> Yes, it will affect the results that you aren't using known inks, but
> there is nothing you can do about that yet. Certainly not before you
> have fixed the other differences.

Another good reason to use OEM ink cartridges, IMO.

--
We put the "K" in "Kwality"!