Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > win me to 98se

win me to 98se

twofour

I have an HP computer with a P3 that came with windows ME . Id like to up
grade it to windows 98se
(any things an improvement to Win ME ) Hardware drivers will a be problem,
how much so I dont know. Any other pitfalls to watch out for? I have a
good 98 cd disc with the key numbers no problem there.
any help is appreciated
twofour

twofour

"twofour" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an HP computer with a P3 that came with windows ME . Id like to up
> grade it to windows 98se
> (any things an improvement to Win ME ) Hardware drivers will a be problem,
> how much so I dont know. Any other pitfalls to watch out for? I have a
> good 98 cd disc with the key numbers no problem there.
> any help is appreciated
> twofour

PS dual boot is not my cup of tea or is it?

Plato

twofour wrote:

> I have an HP computer with a P3 that came with windows ME . Id like to up
> grade it to windows 98se

You'll have to format first, then put win98SE on fresh.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Trax

"twofour" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> I have an HP computer with a P3 that came with windows ME . Id like to up
|>grade it to windows 98se
|>(any things an improvement to Win ME ) Hardware drivers will a be problem,
|>how much so I dont know. Any other pitfalls to watch out for? I have a
|>good 98 cd disc with the key numbers no problem there.

Completely delete ME off the drive (format).
Dual boot? remember WIn98 must be run from c: drive.
Install the unofficial service pack after installing Win98
http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

--
Take a break...
http://games.briankass.com/

Ron Martell

"twofour" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have an HP computer with a P3 that came with windows ME . Id like to up
>grade it to windows 98se
>(any things an improvement to Win ME ) Hardware drivers will a be problem,
>how much so I dont know. Any other pitfalls to watch out for? I have a
>good 98 cd disc with the key numbers no problem there.
> any help is appreciated
> twofour

Windows 98 SE is an older product (released in 1999) than Windows Me
(released in 2000) and therefore what you want to do is technically a
downgrade - moving from a newer to an older version of Windows.

You will have to format the hard drive and do a clean install of
Windows 98 SE. There is no way to do a "downgrade install".

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

Barry OGrady

What must I do to win you to 98se?

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

Barry OGrady

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 00:19:42 -0500, "twofour" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have an HP computer with a P3 that came with windows ME . Id like to up
>grade it to windows 98se
>(any things an improvement to Win ME ) Hardware drivers will a be problem,
>how much so I dont know. Any other pitfalls to watch out for? I have a
>good 98 cd disc with the key numbers no problem there.
> any help is appreciated

Just do it and see what happens.
If it has 128 or megs ram and 4 or more gigs hd why not try XP?

> twofour

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

Barry OGrady wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 00:19:42 -0500, "twofour" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I have an HP computer with a P3 that came with windows ME . Id like to up
>>grade it to windows 98se
>>(any things an improvement to Win ME ) Hardware drivers will a be problem,
>>how much so I dont know. Any other pitfalls to watch out for? I have a
>>good 98 cd disc with the key numbers no problem there.
>> any help is appreciated

> Just do it and see what happens.
> If it has 128 or megs ram and 4 or more gigs hd why not try XP?

Ye gods m'boy, whatever next?
Vista?

Mikey

Brian H wrote:

> Barry OGrady wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 00:19:42 -0500, "twofour" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >>I have an HP computer with a P3 that came with windows ME . Id like to up
> >>grade it to windows 98se
> >>(any things an improvement to Win ME ) Hardware drivers will a be problem,
> >>how much so I dont know. Any other pitfalls to watch out for? I have a
> >>good 98 cd disc with the key numbers no problem there.
> >> any help is appreciated

> > Just do it and see what happens.
> > If it has 128 or megs ram and 4 or more gigs hd why not try XP?
> >

> Ye gods m'boy, whatever next?
> Vista?

No, no, not Vista or XP, he wants to downgrade. After downgrading to 98, he can
then go to 95, then Windows 3.1, then DOS 6.

elaich

"twofour" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have an HP computer with a P3 that came with windows ME . Id like
> to up
> grade it to windows 98se
> (any things an improvement to Win ME )

98SE is NOT an upgrade to ME. It's slower, stupider and lacks features
like automatic opening of zip files, and drivers for your hardware, as
you mentioned.

Here's how to make ME run lean and mean on any machine:

1. Go to www.litepc.com and download IEradicator. Use it to completely
rid the OS of IE 5.5. Now install the latest version of IE.

2. Go to www.beta10.com, click on "software" and download OppCom. This
program allows you to strip out all the garbage in ME that causes it to
have problems. I got rid of everything but WMP 6.4.

3. Go to http://www.burzurq.com/forum/trevtweak.html and apply the tweaks
suggested there.

Now you will have a fast, lean, mean Windows ME that will not crash, and
which will blow the doors off 98SE.