Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dell Laptop : Prevent it from going in Standby when lid shuts?

Dell Laptop : Prevent it from going in Standby when lid shuts?

Scott269

Got a Dell Latitude D610 I use at work that I have hooked up to a 21"
monitor while I'm in the office so I don't have to work on the little
lcd screen or use the laptop keyboard. Got the computer hooked up to a
power supply the whole time. Got the power settings set as the
following :

Turn off monitor - never, Turn off hard disks - never, System standby -
2 hours, System hibernates - 5 hours, when I close the lid of my
portable computer - Do nothing, When I press the power button on my
computer - shut down, When I press the sleep button on my computer - Do
nothing.

Still, when I get the lid within an inch or so of being closed (or of
course close it completly), it goes blank leaving my 21" monitor blank
also. Not 100% sure if its standby or just a sort of screen saver, as
it comes back on almost instantly when I crack it open a little
further.

So now to get my 21" monitor to work with the laptop, I need to leave
it at least halfway open. Is there any way around this other than
getting an expensive docking station? I'd like to be able to close the
laptop without the 21" montior going blank. Do I need to change the
power settings to something else?

Evan Platt

On 1 Dec 2005 13:01:12 -0800, "Scott269" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Got a Dell Latitude D610 I use at work that I have hooked up to a 21"
>monitor while I'm in the office so I don't have to work on the little
>lcd screen or use the laptop keyboard. Got the computer hooked up to a
>power supply the whole time. Got the power settings set as the
>following :
>
>Turn off monitor - never, Turn off hard disks - never, System standby -
>2 hours, System hibernates - 5 hours, when I close the lid of my
>portable computer - Do nothing, When I press the power button on my
>computer - shut down, When I press the sleep button on my computer - Do
>nothing.
>
>Still, when I get the lid within an inch or so of being closed (or of
>course close it completly), it goes blank leaving my 21" monitor blank
>also. Not 100% sure if its standby or just a sort of screen saver, as
>it comes back on almost instantly when I crack it open a little
>further.
>
>So now to get my 21" monitor to work with the laptop, I need to leave
>it at least halfway open. Is there any way around this other than
>getting an expensive docking station? I'd like to be able to close the
>laptop without the 21" montior going blank. Do I need to change the
>power settings to something else?

There's I beleieve two settings on the CRT/LCD function key (Function
F8 on my Dell Inspiron). One is just the external display, one is both
the laptop display and an external display. Try the other one?

Or look in the laptop's Bios for a option to do with closing the lid.

Scott269

Evan Platt wrote:
> There's I beleieve two settings on the CRT/LCD function key (Function
> F8 on my Dell Inspiron). One is just the external display, one is both
> the laptop display and an external display. Try the other one?

Great! That's exactly what I needed, thanks, Function F8 was indeed
the key combo.