Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Portable Hard Drive

Portable Hard Drive

Me/PDX

Using XP Home Edition.
Issue with Iomega Portable 40GB Hard Drive.
Not currently using any Backup Software.
Dragged and dropped (1) My Documents (4.41GB) from my C: drive onto my
Iomega Portable 40GB Hard Drive.
Results is that all the folders and files within (1) My Docunents (From my
C: drive) are now found on IOMEGA_HHD(F portable hard drive.
ISSUE...one of the folders on the IOMEGA_HHD(F portable hard drive is
My Documents (4.48GB) which is simply a duplication of ALL the folders and
files in the above mentioned (1) My Documents.
Thus 9.57GB of the IOMEGA_HHD(F is used instead of just the 4.41GB (1)
My Documents that I Dragged and dropped.
So within the (1) My Documents that I dragged and dropped there is a
full and complete duplication of My Documents.
How do I resolve this matter so I have only ONE copy of My Docunents and
the portable hard drive?
Any assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your consideration and assistance.

Rich Wilson

"Me/PDX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ansjf.3368$Y%(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Using XP Home Edition.
> Issue with Iomega Portable 40GB Hard Drive.
> Not currently using any Backup Software.
> Dragged and dropped (1) My Documents (4.41GB) from my C: drive onto my
> Iomega Portable 40GB Hard Drive.
> Results is that all the folders and files within (1) My Docunents (From my
> C: drive) are now found on IOMEGA_HHD(F portable hard drive.
> ISSUE...one of the folders on the IOMEGA_HHD(F portable hard drive is
> My Documents (4.48GB) which is simply a duplication of ALL the folders and
> files in the above mentioned (1) My Documents.
> Thus 9.57GB of the IOMEGA_HHD(F is used instead of just the 4.41GB
> (1)
> My Documents that I Dragged and dropped.
> So within the (1) My Documents that I dragged and dropped there is a
> full and complete duplication of My Documents.
> How do I resolve this matter so I have only ONE copy of My Docunents
> and
> the portable hard drive?

Delete the other one!!!

Toolman Tim

In newsnsjf.7501$(E-Mail Removed),
Rich Wilson spewed forth:
> "Me/PDX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ansjf.3368$Y%(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Using XP Home Edition.
>> Issue with Iomega Portable 40GB Hard Drive.
>> Not currently using any Backup Software.
>> Dragged and dropped (1) My Documents (4.41GB) from my C: drive onto
>> my Iomega Portable 40GB Hard Drive.
>> Results is that all the folders and files within (1) My Docunents
>> (From my C: drive) are now found on IOMEGA_HHD(F portable hard
>> drive. ISSUE...one of the folders on the IOMEGA_HHD(F portable
>> hard drive is My Documents (4.48GB) which is simply a duplication of
>> ALL the folders and files in the above mentioned (1) My Documents.
>> Thus 9.57GB of the IOMEGA_HHD(F is used instead of just the
>> 4.41GB (1)
>> My Documents that I Dragged and dropped.
>> So within the (1) My Documents that I dragged and dropped there
>> is a full and complete duplication of My Documents.
>> How do I resolve this matter so I have only ONE copy of My
>> Docunents and
>> the portable hard drive?

> Delete the other one!!!

<g> My thoughts exactly! <g>

--
There's nothing more permanent than a temporary tax.

Mitch

In article <ansjf.3368$Y%(E-Mail Removed)>, Me/PDX
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Using XP Home Edition.
> Issue with Iomega Portable 40GB Hard Drive.
> Not currently using any Backup Software.
> Dragged and dropped (1) My Documents (4.41GB) from my C: drive onto my
> Iomega Portable 40GB Hard Drive.
> Results is that all the folders and files within (1) My Docunents (From my
> C: drive) are now found on IOMEGA_HHD(F portable hard drive.
> ISSUE...one of the folders on the IOMEGA_HHD(F portable hard drive is
> My Documents (4.48GB) which is simply a duplication of ALL the folders and
> files in the above mentioned (1) My Documents.
> Thus 9.57GB of the IOMEGA_HHD(F is used instead of just the 4.41GB (1)
> My Documents that I Dragged and dropped.
> So within the (1) My Documents that I dragged and dropped there is a
> full and complete duplication of My Documents.
> How do I resolve this matter so I have only ONE copy of My Docunents and
> the portable hard drive?
> Any assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks for your consideration and assistance.

Is it a matter of method? You don't know how to do it?

Open the folder, find the My Documents folder that is on the inside of
the first one.
Drop that inside one into the Trash.
Check the info for both; make sure they are the same size and have the
same number of content items.

Then delete the trash contents.

Won Dampchin

Rich Wilson wrote:
> "Me/PDX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ansjf.3368$Y%(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Using XP Home Edition.
>> Issue with Iomega Portable 40GB Hard Drive.
>> Not currently using any Backup Software.
>> Dragged and dropped (1) My Documents (4.41GB) from my C: drive onto
>> my Iomega Portable 40GB Hard Drive.
>> Results is that all the folders and files within (1) My Docunents
>> (From my C: drive) are now found on IOMEGA_HHD(F portable hard
>> drive. ISSUE...one of the folders on the IOMEGA_HHD(F portable
>> hard drive is My Documents (4.48GB) which is simply a duplication of
>> ALL the folders and files in the above mentioned (1) My Documents.
>> Thus 9.57GB of the IOMEGA_HHD(F is used instead of just the
>> 4.41GB (1)
>> My Documents that I Dragged and dropped.
>> So within the (1) My Documents that I dragged and dropped there
>> is a full and complete duplication of My Documents.
>> How do I resolve this matter so I have only ONE copy of My
>> Docunents and
>> the portable hard drive?

> Delete the other one!!!

I have to applaud your briefly stated and elegant solution. They don't come
around too often, and deserve special notice! (;^) !!!

Regards ...