Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Customizing

Customizing

Maybe

I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird. The toolbar permits me to "go to the
next *unread* message" and the menu bar permits me to "go to" the *next*
message. Usually, I prefer to move to the next message, so it would be
handier to have that option available on the toolbar and subject to a
single mouse click rather than the multiple moves required to use the
menu bar. Can I somehow make that change?

The Old Sourdough

Maybe quacked like a deranged mallard in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird. The toolbar permits me to "go to the
> next *unread* message" and the menu bar permits me to "go to" the *next*
> message. Usually, I prefer to move to the next message, so it would be
> handier to have that option available on the toolbar and subject to a
> single mouse click rather than the multiple moves required to use the
> menu bar. Can I somehow make that change?

Why not just use the keyboard shortcuts:

F-Next message
B-Previous message
N-Next unread message
P-Previous unread message

--
The Old Sourdough
A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.-

FML

Maybe wrote:
> I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird. The toolbar permits me to "go to the
> next *unread* message" and the menu bar permits me to "go to" the *next*
> message. Usually, I prefer to move to the next message, so it would be
> handier to have that option available on the toolbar and subject to a
> single mouse click rather than the multiple moves required to use the
> menu bar. Can I somehow make that change?

Haven't found the capability to do as you describe, however, why use the
mouse at all? "F" takes you to the next message.

The Old Sourdough

Maybe quacked like a deranged mallard in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird. The toolbar permits me to "go to the
> next *unread* message" and the menu bar permits me to "go to" the *next*
> message. Usually, I prefer to move to the next message, so it would be
> handier to have that option available on the toolbar and subject to a
> single mouse click rather than the multiple moves required to use the
> menu bar. Can I somehow make that change?

Forgot to give you this:

http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/keyboard

--
The Old Sourdough
A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.-
Helen Keller

Trax

Maybe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird. The toolbar permits me to "go to the
|>next *unread* message" and the menu bar permits me to "go to" the *next*
|>message. Usually, I prefer to move to the next message, so it would be
|>handier to have that option available on the toolbar and subject to a
|>single mouse click rather than the multiple moves required to use the
|>menu bar. Can I somehow make that change?

In a different direction, you can use PowerPro
http://powerpro.webeddie.com/ and the keyboard shortcuts The Old
Sourdough link'd to.

Create a toolbar anywhere you want that has the commands you wish, you
can even hide it until you need it; say when you take the mouse to the
right side of the monitor the bar will pop up right were your mouse
is...

--
Take a game break...
http://games.briankass.com/

Maybe

The Old Sourdough wrote:
> Maybe quacked like a deranged mallard in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>

>>I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird. The toolbar permits me to "go to the
>>next *unread* message" and the menu bar permits me to "go to" the *next*
>>message. Usually, I prefer to move to the next message, so it would be
>>handier to have that option available on the toolbar and subject to a
>>single mouse click rather than the multiple moves required to use the
>>menu bar. Can I somehow make that change?
>>

> Forgot to give you this:
>

> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/keyboard

Thanks, Old S, I never have given thought to learning keyboard strokes
-- old dog and new tricks syndrome. I think your suggestion is
excellent and I intend to bend this weak mind to learning the most
convenient of keystrokes. I understand that some of the "old pros"
never bother with the mouse -- keystrokes only.

Maybe

Trax wrote:
> Maybe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |>I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird. The toolbar permits me to "go to the
> |>next *unread* message" and the menu bar permits me to "go to" the *next*
> |>message. Usually, I prefer to move to the next message, so it would be
> |>handier to have that option available on the toolbar and subject to a
> |>single mouse click rather than the multiple moves required to use the
> |>menu bar. Can I somehow make that change?
>
> In a different direction, you can use PowerPro
> http://powerpro.webeddie.com/ and the keyboard shortcuts The Old
> Sourdough link'd to.
>
> Create a toolbar anywhere you want that has the commands you wish, you
> can even hide it until you need it; say when you take the mouse to the
> right side of the monitor the bar will pop up right were your mouse
> is...

Thanks, Trax. I visited PowerPro home page. It looks awfully good. My
reticence comes about only because I'm old, set in my ways, and too lazy
to learn anything that I can get along without. I'm saving the link in
my Bookmarks. Who knows, one day I may feel an uncontrollable burst of
energy and initiative!

The Old Sourdough

Maybe quacked like a deranged mallard in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> The Old Sourdough wrote:

snip

>> Forgot to give you this:
>>

>> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/keyboard
>>

> Thanks, Old S, I never have given thought to learning keyboard strokes
> -- old dog and new tricks syndrome. I think your suggestion is
> excellent and I intend to bend this weak mind to learning the most
> convenient of keystrokes. I understand that some of the "old pros"
> never bother with the mouse -- keystrokes only.

You're welcome. Have fun, and yes, quite often the keyboard is the fastest
and most convenient way to go.

--

Maybe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Trax wrote:

|>> In a different direction, you can use PowerPro
|>> http://powerpro.webeddie.com/ and the keyboard shortcuts The Old
|>> Sourdough link'd to.
|>>
|>> Create a toolbar anywhere you want that has the commands you wish, you
|>> can even hide it until you need it; say when you take the mouse to the
|>> right side of the monitor the bar will pop up right were your mouse
|>> is...

|>Thanks, Trax. I visited PowerPro home page. It looks awfully good. My
|>reticence comes about only because I'm old, set in my ways, and too lazy
|>to learn anything that I can get along without. I'm saving the link in
|>my Bookmarks. Who knows, one day I may feel an uncontrollable burst of
|>energy and initiative!

It's so usefull and pack'd full of abilities that it's learning curve
is kinda high - Lots of tweaks.

--
Take a game break...
http://games.briankass.com/