Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New wireless router, slow download

New wireless router, slow download

Art

Hooked up new Linksys wireless router, all works fine, EXCEPT:

pc plugged into router Ethernet jack does phenominally slow downloads from
usenet.

Everything else seems to work find, 54 megs wireless is way beyond my
cable's capacity. But downloading a 100k posted graphic, previously a 5
second job, now takes more like 5 minutes. I can unplug router and plug PC
straight to cable modem to get around the problem.

Possible obstacles in data path are:

- Microsoft spyware program running, but killing it doesn't fix anything.

- ZoneAlarm running (has blocked data in the past, but shutting it off has
no effect on this problem. Also, ZA shows complete idle, no data transfer
either way, for long periods during downloads.).

- Windows own internal protection; shutting it down has no effect.

- Usenet filters in through YProxy, to decode Yenc multi part music and
video files. However, bypassing YProxy seems to have no effect. Even short
text posts take a long time. Getting the list of new posts can take several
minutes; bypassing the router, it takes maybe three seconds.

This slowdown occurs with Agent, Free Agent, and Outlook Express. (YProxy
only used on Outlook Express.)

Culprit has to be the router. I'm not even using the wireless. (Never
tried the wireless laptop on Usenet to see if it has the same problem; it's
not my machine. But it otherwise functions great, with 54m throughput.)

Linksys has been no help, on line or telephone.

Anybody have an idea what bit is set wrong where? Thanks in advance for any
guesses.

Rosco

Art cried out

> Hooked up new Linksys wireless router, all works fine, EXCEPT:
>
> pc plugged into router Ethernet jack does phenominally slow
> downloads from usenet.
>
> Everything else seems to work find, 54 megs wireless is way beyond
> my cable's capacity. But downloading a 100k posted graphic,
> previously a 5 second job, now takes more like 5 minutes. I can
> unplug router and plug PC straight to cable modem to get around
> the problem.
>
> Possible obstacles in data path are:
>
> - Microsoft spyware program running, but killing it doesn't fix
> anything.
>
> - ZoneAlarm running (has blocked data in the past, but shutting it
> off has no effect on this problem. Also, ZA shows complete idle,
> no data transfer either way, for long periods during downloads.).
>
> - Windows own internal protection; shutting it down has no effect.
>
> - Usenet filters in through YProxy, to decode Yenc multi part
> music and video files. However, bypassing YProxy seems to have no
> effect. Even short text posts take a long time. Getting the list
> of new posts can take several minutes; bypassing the router, it
> takes maybe three seconds.
>
> This slowdown occurs with Agent, Free Agent, and Outlook Express.
> (YProxy only used on Outlook Express.)
>
> Culprit has to be the router. I'm not even using the wireless.
> (Never tried the wireless laptop on Usenet to see if it has the
> same problem; it's not my machine. But it otherwise functions
> great, with 54m throughput.)
>
> Linksys has been no help, on line or telephone.
>
> Anybody have an idea what bit is set wrong where? Thanks in
> advance for any guesses.

had a similar problem the router would get slower and slower then
finally would die completely, linksys could not explain it, turned
out that simply turning off UPnP on the routers control panel fixed
it. Try that turn it off, save your changes unplugg for five
seconds, and see where that takes you

Keme

Art wrote:
> Hooked up new Linksys wireless router, all works fine, EXCEPT:
>
> pc plugged into router Ethernet jack does phenominally slow downloads from
> usenet.
>
> Everything else seems to work find, 54 megs wireless is way beyond my
> cable's capacity. But downloading a 100k posted graphic, previously a 5
> second job, now takes more like 5 minutes. I can unplug router and plug PC
> straight to cable modem to get around the problem.
>
> Possible obstacles in data path are:
>
> - Microsoft spyware program running, but killing it doesn't fix anything.
>
> - ZoneAlarm running (has blocked data in the past, but shutting it off has
> no effect on this problem. Also, ZA shows complete idle, no data transfer
> either way, for long periods during downloads.).
>
> - Windows own internal protection; shutting it down has no effect.
>
> - Usenet filters in through YProxy, to decode Yenc multi part music and
> video files. However, bypassing YProxy seems to have no effect. Even short
> text posts take a long time. Getting the list of new posts can take several
> minutes; bypassing the router, it takes maybe three seconds.
>
> This slowdown occurs with Agent, Free Agent, and Outlook Express. (YProxy
> only used on Outlook Express.)
>
> Culprit has to be the router. I'm not even using the wireless. (Never
> tried the wireless laptop on Usenet to see if it has the same problem; it's
> not my machine. But it otherwise functions great, with 54m throughput.)
>
> Linksys has been no help, on line or telephone.
>
> Anybody have an idea what bit is set wrong where? Thanks in advance for any
> guesses.

Looks like you tried everything. I have occasional trouble on the server
side, with my ISP not always paying very much attention to the NNTP
service. You bypass the problem by going straight to the modem, so a
slow server is probably not the cause in your case. Maybe a firmware
upgrade is due?

One far fetched possibility: Are both the modem and the wireless router
running NAT? In that case some traffic could be disturbed (I've seen
poor combinations of firmware programming and default configuration,
that could possibly lead to symptoms like yours, though not very
likely). If all else fails, try disabling router functionality (NAT,
DHCP) on your wireless unit, and use a LAN port for the connection to
the modem (not a port labeled "DMZ", "WAN" or "internet").

Walter Mautner

Art wrote:

> Hooked up new Linksys wireless router, all works fine, EXCEPT:
>
> pc plugged into router Ethernet jack does phenominally slow downloads from
> usenet.
>
> Everything else seems to work find, 54 megs wireless is way beyond my
> cable's capacity. But downloading a 100k posted graphic, previously a 5
> second job, now takes more like 5 minutes. I can unplug router and plug
> PC straight to cable modem to get around the problem.
>
> Possible obstacles in data path are:

One thing worth a try might be forwarding port 113 (identd) to your pc. But
then, most probably ZA already had it blocked before (a simple reject is
the correct way to handle).