Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > My Hard Drives Keep Dying...why?

My Hard Drives Keep Dying...why?

2812837@gmail.com

Currently running on an old Gateway 3100 233MHz PII these 2 drives:
Maxtor 5T060H6 [Hard drive] (61.49 GB) SAMSUNG SP1604N [Hard drive]
(160.04 GB)

They were on an ASUS A7V133 Athlon TBird 1GHz which is (was) my main
computer.

MAXTOR was the master and it started going first so I removed it and
made the SAMSUNG single, then it too stared going nuts.

On the ASUS MB they show up in the BIOS with garbled text where it is
supposed to show their name.

Or sometimes they show up correctly. Sometimes they will boot other
times
they will hang right after the PCI device scan; or they will NOT be
detected.

Both the MAXTOR and the SAMSUNG FAILED the POWERMAX tests
when running on the ASUS MB.

They both pass the POWERMAX tests (multiple times) when run on old
Gateway and seem to be running fine now except the SAMSUNG only shows
it has 149GB where it should be 160GB. It used to actually display that
it had 158GB.

They have both been formatted and had OS reinstalled and scanned for
virus.

I had two other drives that I tested from another computer (before I
suspected the ASUS was the problem, not the drives) and they died while
on that ASUS MB would not run on the other computer anymore either.

Would this be a power supply problem since the drives are being
damaged?

What would you do in this case?

Rosco

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) cried out

> Currently running on an old Gateway 3100 233MHz PII these 2
> drives: Maxtor 5T060H6 [Hard drive] (61.49 GB) SAMSUNG SP1604N
> [Hard drive] (160.04 GB)
>
> They were on an ASUS A7V133 Athlon TBird 1GHz which is (was) my
> main computer.
>
> MAXTOR was the master and it started going first so I removed it
> and made the SAMSUNG single, then it too stared going nuts.
>
> On the ASUS MB they show up in the BIOS with garbled text where it
> is supposed to show their name.
>
> Or sometimes they show up correctly. Sometimes they will boot
> other times
> they will hang right after the PCI device scan; or they will NOT
> be detected.
>

> Both the MAXTOR and the SAMSUNG FAILED the POWERMAX tests
> when running on the ASUS MB.
>
> They both pass the POWERMAX tests (multiple times) when run on old
> Gateway and seem to be running fine now except the SAMSUNG only
> shows it has 149GB where it should be 160GB. It used to actually
> display that it had 158GB.
>
> They have both been formatted and had OS reinstalled and scanned
> for virus.
>
> I had two other drives that I tested from another computer (before
> I suspected the ASUS was the problem, not the drives) and they
> died while on that ASUS MB would not run on the other computer
> anymore either.
>
> Would this be a power supply problem since the drives are being
> damaged?
>

> What would you do in this case?

Just an idea, but I ruined I think five hard drives before I figured
out that since I lived in a rual area where power was unreliable
that a UPS ( Uninteruptible Power Suppply (Battery Backup)) was
necessary. I got one pretty cheap from wal-mart for about 45.00.
Haven't had any drives go bad on me since, that was four years ago.

Dan Evans

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

8>< Snip stuff about dodgy hard drives

> What would you do in this case?

Sounds like dodgy power. Check/replace the PSU and get a either voltage
regulator power strip or preferably a UPS.

Dan

Gloria Vixentart

(E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed), wrote in message
(E-Mail Removed) om:
<snip>

Mechanical or electronic "Dying"?

--
Marsey dotes
And dosey dotes

Mares eat oats
And does eat oats,
And little lambs eat ivy.
A Kid will eat ivy too,
Wouldn't you?

2812837@gmail.com

Hard to tell they just stop working; some have made unusual mechanical
noises though. I don't remember if the ones I have thrown out were
actually still spinning or not but they would no longer stay running or
start at all.

http://grc.com/spinrite.htm

--
Marsey dotes
And dosey dotes

Mares eat oats
And does eat oats,
And little lambs eat ivy.
A Kid will eat ivy too,
Wouldn't you?

2812837@gmail.com

HEY after throwing out two (probably good hard drives ) and almost
throwing out the whole computer I finally fixed the problem.

It was NOT the drives.

It was not the power supply or the controllers.

Turns out it was because the BIOS was corrupted.

Flashed the BIOS with the same version and everything works again.

I guess there is a lesson to be learned here but I'll probably forget
it anyway....

2812837@gmail.com

HEY after throwing out two (probably good hard drives ) and almost
throwing out the whole computer I finally fixed the problem.

It was NOT the drives.

It was not the power supply or the controllers.

Turns out it was because the BIOS was corrupted.

Flashed the BIOS with the same version and everything works again.

I guess there is a lesson to be learned here but I'll probably forget
it anyway....

Gloria Vixentart

(E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed), wrote in message
(E-Mail Removed) om:
> HEY after throwing out two (probably good hard drives ) and almost
> throwing out the whole computer I finally fixed the problem.
>

> It was NOT the drives.
>

> It was not the power supply or the controllers.
>
> Turns out it was because the BIOS was corrupted.
>
> Flashed the BIOS with the same version and everything works again.
>
> I guess there is a lesson to be learned here but I'll probably forget
> it anyway....

I'm not sure I would put money on 'just anyone' thinking of that most
unlikely solution, but cool. Good for you!!

--
Marsey dotes
And dosey dotes

Mares eat oats