Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DSL

Mitch

Hi, Verizon told me that my DSL is not stable with Windows ME and that
I should buy another PC because even if I upgrade to Windows XP there
will be remnents of Windows ME that will cause problems. Any
suggestions other than buying a new computer will be appreciated.

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com,
Mitch spewed forth:
> Hi, Verizon told me that my DSL is not stable with Windows ME and that
> I should buy another PC because even if I upgrade to Windows XP there
> will be remnents of Windows ME that will cause problems. Any
> suggestions other than buying a new computer will be appreciated.

Buy XP, install clean (no upgrade, no leftover ME crapola). Check your
system though to be sure it has the horsepower. I wouldn't put XP on
anything less than 600MHz, w/ 256 megs of RAM. Microsoft gives much lower
requirements though - 266MHz and 64 megs of RAM, if I remember correctly,
although that system would choke trying to do anything except boot <g>.

--
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Toolman Tim

In news:2poif.3798$(E-Mail Removed),
Toolman Tim spewed forth:
> In news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com,
> Mitch spewed forth:
>> Hi, Verizon told me that my DSL is not stable with Windows ME and
>> that I should buy another PC because even if I upgrade to Windows XP
>> there will be remnents of Windows ME that will cause problems. Any
>> suggestions other than buying a new computer will be appreciated.

> Buy XP, install clean (no upgrade, no leftover ME crapola). Check your
> system though to be sure it has the horsepower. I wouldn't put XP on
> anything less than 600MHz, w/ 256 megs of RAM. Microsoft gives much
> lower requirements though - 266MHz and 64 megs of RAM, if I remember
> correctly, although that system would choke trying to do anything
> except boot <g>.

Oh - BTW, you can buy either an OEM release of XP Home, or the retail
upgrade. The upgrade will allow a clean install *IF* you have a copy of a
previous version on CD. It will ask you to insert that version just long
enough to verify that it's eligible for upgrade.

I prefer to go OEM - costs less. Email me, and I'll let you know where I
bought my last XP license from. Note: the license does NOT include the
install disk. But you can copy an OEM disk from a friend or family member.
(tim_n_puppies at yahoo dot com)

--
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

philo

"Mitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi, Verizon told me that my DSL is not stable with Windows ME and that
> I should buy another PC because even if I upgrade to Windows XP there
> will be remnents of Windows ME that will cause problems. Any
> suggestions other than buying a new computer will be appreciated.

they are probably BSing you...
but ME is not a great OS.
if you still have your ME cd you can get the (cheaper) XP upgrade
cd... yet still perform a clean install

kenny

as an experiment, I have succesfully installed XP PRO on a pentium 133 with
96 mb ram.

It worked but of course you could not be productive on such a machine.

There is of course a program called lite pc http://www.litepc.com/
that you can strip down things from XP or win2k and make it runnable on
slower systems. Or a free alternative that lets you make a lite version of
XP before you install is nlite www.nliteos.com/

Kenny www.computerboom.com

news:2poif.3798$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com,
> Mitch spewed forth:
>> Hi, Verizon told me that my DSL is not stable with Windows ME and that
>> I should buy another PC because even if I upgrade to Windows XP there
>> will be remnents of Windows ME that will cause problems. Any
>> suggestions other than buying a new computer will be appreciated.

> Buy XP, install clean (no upgrade, no leftover ME crapola). Check your
> system though to be sure it has the horsepower. I wouldn't put XP on
> anything less than 600MHz, w/ 256 megs of RAM. Microsoft gives much lower
> requirements though - 266MHz and 64 megs of RAM, if I remember correctly,
> although that system would choke trying to do anything except boot <g>.
>
> --
> Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
> still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Pat

On 27 Nov 2005 12:02:23 -0800, "Mitch" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi, Verizon told me that my DSL is not stable with Windows ME and that
>I should buy another PC because even if I upgrade to Windows XP there
>will be remnents of Windows ME that will cause problems. Any
>suggestions other than buying a new computer will be appreciated.

Sounds like bunk to me. Any OS that can use a NIC and run internet
software should be fine with DSL. You may have other OS problems that
are affecting your connection. Try cleaning up your system, temp files,
cookies, caches, and the like. Defrag the drives and just generally tune
up the system. Run some anti-malware software.

If you are using proprietary software provided by Verizon, dump it. It
could be causing problems.

--
Pat

Trax

"Mitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Hi, Verizon told me that my DSL is not stable with Windows ME and that
|>I should buy another PC because even if I upgrade to Windows XP there
|>will be remnents of Windows ME that will cause problems. Any
|>suggestions other than buying a new computer will be appreciated.

Not true, I think they mean the software they provide to install it
for you.

You don't need their software, just an account (DSL turn'd on) and a
browser to config the modem.

--
Take a game break...
http://games.briankass.com/

thenemo1

Hi Mith verizon told me that if i had windows M.E. that i'd only get a
reduced speed as opposed to windows XP the speed would be the fastest.
"Mitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi, Verizon told me that my DSL is not stable with Windows ME and that
> I should buy another PC because even if I upgrade to Windows XP there
> will be remnents of Windows ME that will cause problems. Any
> suggestions other than buying a new computer will be appreciated.

fkasner

Trax wrote:
> "Mitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |>Hi, Verizon told me that my DSL is not stable with Windows ME and that
> |>I should buy another PC because even if I upgrade to Windows XP there
> |>will be remnents of Windows ME that will cause problems. Any
> |>suggestions other than buying a new computer will be appreciated.
>
> Not true, I think they mean the software they provide to install it
> for you.
>
> You don't need their software, just an account (DSL turn'd on) and a
> browser to config the modem.

The problem lies with Verizon not with DSL and Me. I have on my second
box (this one runs XP Pro) a Me box that is hooked up to DSL but it's
SBC not Verizon. Works fine. The Me box is flakey but that's because Me
is flakey. But aside from the limitations of a tendency to freeze (too
little memory and the instability of Me) on occasion it runs DSL quite
reliably. I even have a Linux box hooked up to that DSL router. All
download reliably.
FK

Pat

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:33:33 -0500, "thenemo1"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Mith verizon told me that if i had windows M.E. that i'd only get a
>reduced speed as opposed to windows XP the speed would be the fastest.

If the computer is setup properly, there should be no difference in
speed. Even a old 386 box with W3.1 can easily keep up with the data
flow from a DSL connection. I use an older OS than ME and have no
problems with speed.

Go to http://www.speedguide.net/ and use their optimizing tips. It could
help quite a bit.

--