Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Netgear Wireless-G Router: How to keep my IP and still use the wireless.

Netgear Wireless-G Router: How to keep my IP and still use the wireless.

WiredNYC

The following had previously worked with my Belkin 802.11b wifi router
but for some reason the netgear one will not allow this to work. this
is my setup

my cable modem goes directly to one nic card on my PC to retrieve a
non-private IP address (69.xxx.xxx.xxx), and then i route the internet
out from my PC through a second nic card to the Netgear Wifi router
itself. As i understand it, my computer is basically functioning as a
router itself, assigning a 192.168 IP to the Netgear Wifi Router. I can
then successfully connect to the router, and my laptop will pull a
192.168.0.2 IP Address, and is connecting through a default gateway of
192.168.0.1 (which is the IP address of the SECOND nic card on my PC).
When i pull up the internet connectiobns monitor on my laptop, it
indicates that the laptop is sending data but not receiving data. this
suggests to me the problem is the netgear wifi router. PLEASE NOTE...
that if i plug my cable modem directly into the netgear wifi router,
the router DOES WORK. the problem is I need my service provider granted
IP for game hosting, file hosting, and VPN/remote connection reasons.

graphically this is the setup I am trying to get to work.
Cable Modem >> My Pc (69.xxx.xxx.xxx) >> Netgear Wifi Router (192.)

The only problem I could think it may be, is that according to the
netgear manual, to connect to the netgear wifi router itself you have
to go to 192.168.0.1... that IP is the same as the IP being pulled by
the second NIC card in my PC, which is the one that sends the internet
signal out from my PC.

I hope i have been as clear as I can be. help is greatly appreciated

darren

Pfff

Try connecting the router to the normat UTP connectors [switch side].
Disable DHCP from the Belkin and let the dsl router enable the dhcp server....
Setup virtual server of map external 69.... ip adres tot you local
internal ip..
like port 80 -> all connections allow -> 192.x.x.x of 10.x.x.1 or
172..x.x.x internal ranges....
In this way you can setup your own webserver and are double protected
by maybe 2 firewall..
depends of your hardware....

Goodluck

Valentijn

On 2005-11-27 20:30:43 +0100, "WiredNYC" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> The following had previously worked with my Belkin 802.11b wifi router
> but for some reason the netgear one will not allow this to work. this
> is my setup
>
> my cable modem goes directly to one nic card on my PC to retrieve a
> non-private IP address (69.xxx.xxx.xxx), and then i route the internet
> out from my PC through a second nic card to the Netgear Wifi router
> itself. As i understand it, my computer is basically functioning as a
> router itself, assigning a 192.168 IP to the Netgear Wifi Router. I can
> then successfully connect to the router, and my laptop will pull a
> 192.168.0.2 IP Address, and is connecting through a default gateway of
> 192.168.0.1 (which is the IP address of the SECOND nic card on my PC).
> When i pull up the internet connectiobns monitor on my laptop, it
> indicates that the laptop is sending data but not receiving data. this
> suggests to me the problem is the netgear wifi router. PLEASE NOTE...
> that if i plug my cable modem directly into the netgear wifi router,
> the router DOES WORK. the problem is I need my service provider granted
> IP for game hosting, file hosting, and VPN/remote connection reasons.
>
> graphically this is the setup I am trying to get to work.
> Cable Modem >> My Pc (69.xxx.xxx.xxx) >> Netgear Wifi Router (192.)
>
> The only problem I could think it may be, is that according to the
> netgear manual, to connect to the netgear wifi router itself you have
> to go to 192.168.0.1... that IP is the same as the IP being pulled by
> the second NIC card in my PC, which is the one that sends the internet
> signal out from my PC.
>
> I hope i have been as clear as I can be. help is greatly appreciated
>
> darren

WiredNYC

alright, apologies for the lack of information. im a first time groups
poster. Maybe it will be easier if I just say What I want to do,
provide the info you wanted, and see your advice for that. I want to
use my wifi router, but still be able to pull my static IP
69.201.180.196. <- that is my goal.

1) my router = Netgear 108 mbps Wireless FireWall router WGT624 v2
2)my IP = 69.201.180.196
3) After a successful network setup, my NIC card pulling the
69.201.180.196 IP is Shared (i.e. ICS is enabled)
My Second NIC card is being set by the network wizard to pull the IP
192.168.0.1. The wizard is NOT setting it to pull IP automatically.
The second nic card is then connected to my Netgear Router
4) From the command prompt, here is the response to the ipconfig /all
command:

D:\Documents and Settings\Server>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xp-server
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : nyc.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : nyc.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon
88E8001/8003/8010 PCI
Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-D8-50-DE-40
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, November 27, 2005
2:07:39 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, November 28, 2005
1:58:32 PM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100
PCI TX NIC
(3C905B-TX)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-5A-0D-30-2F
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

I hoppe this is more helpful than before.

Rosco

WiredNYC cried out

> 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI
> Gigabit Ethernet Controller
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-D8-50-DE-40
> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.39.192.1

Wouldn't it just be wise to connect the router directly to the modem
then allow certain ports to pass through as needed. I know on my
linksys router there is even a VPN pass through funtion to cover any
vpns. It would just seemt that having your desktop connected directly
is kinda foolish. no offense

WiredNYC

none taken. im open to suggestions but do you understand that it is
important for me to pull the IP? for instance, i tend to use RealVNC
and you have to enter an IP address to connect remotely. if I connected
the cable modem directly to the wifi, when im away i wouldnt be able
to connect to my desktop pc because it would be pulling a 192.168
address on that pc that was given to it by the wifi router. besides, i
feel secure enough with a norton firewall and norton antivirus, no? i
know the router would be added security but would it also be a
hindrance to downloading files and multiplaying online

Rosco

WiredNYC cried out

> none taken. im open to suggestions but do you understand that it
> is important for me to pull the IP? for instance, i tend to use
> RealVNC and you have to enter an IP address to connect remotely.
> if I connected the cable modem directly to the wifi, when im away
> i wouldnt be able to connect to my desktop pc because it would be
> pulling a 192.168 address on that pc that was given to it by the
> wifi router. besides, i feel secure enough with a norton firewall
> and norton antivirus, no? i know the router would be added
> security but would it also be a hindrance to downloading files and
> multiplaying online

I too use RealVNC. You will still be able to connect using port
numbers. In the real vnc configuration it asks you for a port number by
default its 5900 and 5800, the first is if you are connecting using a
vnc viewer, 5800 is using a regular webbrowser. You will need to set up
your router to forward port 5900 and 5800 to your computers IP. I will
post a screen shot exapmple of my linksys configuration screen.at
http://geocities.com/rosco_77371/linksys.jpg
I highly recomend using static a static ip for any comptuer you wish to
connect from the outside to. if you need help with that i can help you
out there to. Feel free to reply with anymore questions. Take a look at
my e-mail address.